Hey there massage therapists!

Started by theraball
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theraball

Panned
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is, MTs who are in osteopathic medical school. How do you keep up your skills while in school? A weekly treatment on your spouse or classmate, or work at a local chiro's office or spa once a month? Or does the OMM work provide you with enough practice to maintain a sense of professional development in this field?

I'm going in this coming fall (2007) and will be sad to leave the M.T. profession behind, hoping to keep some fraction of it going though so as not to forget it entirely (having just graduated muscular therapy school I've barely had a chance to build a practice yet).
 
Hi,

I am a third year DO student, and quite honestly...I had lots of students request massages while I was in school. I loved being a massage therapist as well, but I did not do too many massages in school. I think once I learned more OMT, I was more interested in doing that, and I just used my extra times in meetings and clubs. I had a friend who was a massage therapist and I'd say she found time to do 2-3 massages a week. They are great for barter, and she made some extra cash while in school. I recently did 5 massages in a day and received 500$ toward a mission trip I am going on. It wore me out, but if anything, I am much more knowledgeable than when I started school. I don't think it is possible to lose your touch, and your understanding of Anatomy and OMT will even make you realize how little you knew as a massage therapist...and I don't mean that in any kind of discriminating way, I was a therapist for seven full time years before DO school. Make sure you go to the UAAO conventions...lots of fun, and that's where all of us bodywork junkies get together...when you go, you'll feel right at home. You're going to a great school for bodywork if you are going to UNECOM. I only hear wonderful things about their OMT department. Best of luck, and know that you can do as many or as few massages as you want to.
 
TrueHealth,
Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear it's possible to keep up the MT during school. Cheers,
Theraball
p.s. I only wish I were going to UNE--but got into a great program out West anyway.