Is there NRMP data that shows what % of IM applicants match their #1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc-Thor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have data regarding what percentage of IM applicants match at their #1?

NRMP only provides data for that percentage with all the specialties considered, which falls at about 50% matching at their #1. Have to imagine that percentage is higher for IM compared to some of the surgical subspecialties where applicants are more likely to fall on their rank list.

Like this is purely guessing, but do we think that number is only marginally higher for IM, or like 60% or something? If anyone has any data or anecdotal experience, it'd be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Following, as I've been wondering this about IM as well. If I had to take a guess, I would say that it is probably a bit higher than overall % across specialties since IM is not as competitive as most other specialties (on average) for MD's. For DO's I would say it is at the national average if not a bit lower. So maybe 55-57% for MD and 40-42% for DO.

For others:
2018 match:
"The percentage of all U.S. seniors who matched to their first-choice programs was 48.5 percent, the second lowest on record; however, almost three-quarters (73.3%) of U.S. seniors matched to one of their top three choices."

2019 match:
"The percentage of all U.S. seniors who matched to their first-choice programs was 47.1 percent, the lowest on record; however, almost three-quarters (72.5%) of U.S. seniors matched to one of their top three choices."

"The percentage of all U.S. MD seniors who matched to their first-choice programs was 46.3 percent, the lowest on record; however, almost three-quarters (71.1%) of U.S. MD seniors matched to one of their top three choices."

Following, as I've been wondering this about IM as well. If I had to take a guess, I would say that it is probably a bit higher than overall % across specialties since IM is not as competitive as most other specialties (on average) for MD's. For DO's I would say it is at the national average if not a bit lower. So maybe 55-57% for MD and 40-42% for DO.

For others:
2018 match:
"The percentage of all U.S. seniors who matched to their first-choice programs was 48.5 percent, the second lowest on record; however, almost three-quarters (73.3%) of U.S. seniors matched to one of their top three choices."

2019 match:
"The percentage of all U.S. seniors who matched to their first-choice programs was 47.1 percent, the lowest on record; however, almost three-quarters (72.5%) of U.S. seniors matched to one of their top three choices."

"The percentage of all U.S. MD seniors who matched to their first-choice programs was 46.3 percent, the lowest on record; however, almost three-quarters (71.1%) of U.S. MD seniors matched to one of their top three choices."
What makes you guess the number would be that much lower for DOs though?

Per NRMP, around 47.8% of senior DOs matched their #1 across all specialties (49% for senior MDs). I have a hard time believing that it would drop all the way to 40-42% for IM specifically; if anything that number should inch closer to 50% maybe a little higher for IM since as you mentioned, its not as competitive as some of the surgical subspecialties that bring the number down

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending if you’re gunning for just uni programs or not

if your top 10 are all unis and you’re a DO, you will match to your top 7-8. If you’re a MD, guaranteed top 3.

This is based on the assumption that you’re just gunning for prestige 100%

Reactions: 1 user
What makes you guess the number would be that much lower for DOs though?

Per NRMP, around 47.8% of senior DOs matched their #1 across all specialties (49% for senior MDs). I have a hard time believing that it would drop all the way to 40-42% for IM specifically; if anything that number should inch closer to 50% maybe a little higher for IM since as you mentioned, its not as competitive as some of the surgical subspecialties that bring the number down
I agree with Coco...I've definitely seen my students shoot themselves in the foot with rank lists that were totally inappropriate for them. Typically, they were aiming too high.

Depending if you’re gunning for just uni programs or not

if your top 10 are all unis and you’re a DO, you will match to your top 7-8. If you’re a MD, guaranteed top 3.

This is based on the assumption that you’re just gunning for prestige 100%

Makes sense. So my top choice is a pretty solid community/university-affiliated program but not an uni program. I'm hoping it'll work out in that case even as a DO

I agree with Coco...I've definitely seen my students shoot themselves in the foot with rank lists that were totally inappropriate for them. Typically, they were aiming too high.
That’s not how the match works. You rank in order of true preference, always. Even if all the ones at the top are reaches.

Unless you meant application list. But you shouldn’t ever factor in how you think a program will rank you when you are making a rank list.

Reactions: 8 users
Also to address OPs question, Ophtho just published their data that showed 38% of matchees matched their number 1, and 67% matched top 3. In assuming IM is somewhere above that a bit. Probably 40 something percent match their number 1.

Also to address OPs question, Ophtho just published their data that showed 38% of matchees matched their number 1, and 67% matched top 3. In assuming IM is somewhere above that a bit. Probably 40 something percent match their number 1.
God these are depressing numbers lol

I'd wager its actually a lot higher. Very very likely >50%. 49% of ALL US DO grads match their number one. That average is definitely brought down by smaller specialties that take few applicants/class (ie rads, gen surg,all other surg sub specialties). If you isolated just DO IM matches who matched their number one its probably >50% but no way to know for sure I guess.

Reactions: 4 users