Hey TrekOCLV...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaucyAZN

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Very off-topic)

I'm assuming you're a cycling fan, but if I'm wrong, totally disregard this e-mail.
-----
They just unveiled the route for the 2002 TdF (www.letour.com)

-6 high mountain stages (5 mountain-top)
*2 pyrenean(sp?)
*3 Alpine
*The climb of Mont Ventoux
-2 50+km ITT & 1 68km TTT
~3200km long

I still think it'll be the Jan & Lance show (with a Beloki, Sevilla, Botero, or Levi battling for the third step of the podium)...what are your thoughts?

-Sauce

p.s. - By the way, my girlfriend thinks I love Lance Armstrong and Miguel Indurain more than I love her...how can she say that? Just because I have Indurain & Armstrong blow-up dolls does NOT mean I love them more than I love her.

p.p.s. - I'm kidding about the blow-up dolls.

Members don't see this ad.

If your blow-up dolls look like this -> :oops: , I would say your claim is questionable. :D ;) I'm too evil! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

hey saucy- nice to hear some other cycling buffs are around on this board. Yeah, i'm a big fan of anything with two wheels (mtb, cyclocross, road, TT, tri, etc), but recently been concentrating on lifting so i'm not very competitive on the circuit or in the crits anymore (too heavy). I can't access the site for some reason, but as per the par for the TDF, i'm sure it's gonna be hell in the mountains, especially later in the alps and pyrenees. I do think lance will be a force next year, as he always is. However, i think the time inbetween is gonna be important for lance to make sure he distances himself from dr. ferrari and all these doping allegations. I watched sevilla in the vuelta a espana but he really fell off towards the end if i remember correctly. Leipheimer is an amazing cyclist but i dunno if he can pull a top 3 in the TDF. I really think the battle will be for 3rd with a lot of good competitors. I'm a fan of david millar and i hope he can perform as he was always supposed to.

i haven't heard the name indurain in a while. I grew up in europe and when he won the TDF all those times, that's what got me into the road stuff- he was a legend. I know lance keeps taking crap for being a 'priss'- only showing up to events where all the USPS guys turn out and being protected all the way to the win. While i do think he needs to race more (italy? spain?) i don't think he has to worry- he's definitely the best racer in the world.

my true fav. has always been merckx. the cannibal has been my idol since i first heard my dad tell stories of his efforts. right now i'm saving for a frame from his factory, and may get myself one for graduation. I think those old days of euro cycling and firmly over and now it's much more about science and the team than brute individual effort. you have any faves from the 'old timers'?

do you do any other cycling and do you race much? where are you at also?? --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: if ullrich drops 10lbs and keeps away from his mom's cakes, i do think he can push lance all the way to paris. But i can't really talk as i could stand to lose a bit too! --Trek

I grew up watching LeMonde and Hampsten...The greatest thing I ever saw in cycling was watching Greg scream into Paris on his time trial rig to win the TDF by seconds over Fignon...That was really something else.

Yeah, lemond is definitely one of the greats of teh sport. took some heat a while back for 'insinuating' that lance was doping, but he apologized on TV and all. Another excellent framebuilder these days ;-) --Trek

You know...I can remember when I was little and heard my father use baseball "lingo" and was fascinated...so fascinated I've been an active ball player ever since. Your conversation has brought me back...it's so cool to me to hear people speak, or read the writings of people who actually "know" a sports' ins and outs.
So I'll throw in a question that I have...about the TDF, and other races (I suppose I can use abbreviations too...just hoping I know what they mean). Are you guys talking about blood doping? I totally thought that this was legal in cycling as it doesn't involve any foreign materials. If it's not, why not? I know it gives quite a competitive advantage, but then again weight lifting and endurance training does as well. Titanium bikes give an advantage. Greasing the gears...you get my point. As long as there is no "druggin", why no doping?

Darwin- i'm not totally sure what blood doping is. When i refer to doping, i'm mostly talking about taking performance enhancing drugs. In the gym a lot of my friends are doing anabolics (ie. deca, dura, diana, winstrol, etc), but i don't think these are vogue in cycling. From what i've heard they aren't interested in massive muscle gains but in recovery and better blood oxygen capacity. The only really common drug i hear of in cycling is EPO, a known performance enhancer. Test is also pretty big but the top riders most probably take cocktails of things to acheive the same end without the side effects (liver/kidney failure, hair loss, some gyno). The problem with the sport is that technology is almost at an asymptote- the bikes aren't gonna go under 15 lbs anytime soon, the bearings aren't gonna have lower friction coefficients, so they're to the point of modifying their bodies to win. It's a tough sport with very little money unless people know your name well, and i feel for those guys. Nice link here :
http://whyfiles.org/090doping_sport/

i always love to talk cycling, so lets keep this going!! --Trek

Blood doping...

...my facts are probably inaccurate, but I'll give it a ago...

I'm 99.9% certain blood doping has been banned from cycling. I believe it was widely performed during the mid-1980s (pre-EPO). A cyclist would have, say, a pint of blood drawn from them, and that pint would then be frozen. Let's say after a few days or weeks, the cyclist's blood volume returns to normal (I should know how long it takes...I am going to med school next year!).

A day or a few days before a big endurance event (such as the TDF, Giro d'Italia or Vuelta a Espana--all three-week tours), the frozen pint of blood will be transfused back into the cyclist (after they thaw it, of course). Therefore, he or she will have a higher level of hemoglobin (due to the increased blood volume) and, thus, have a higher blood-oxygen capacity...a great asset especially when tackling the Alps or Pyrenees.

Synthetic EPO came along next and became the doping product of choice up until 1998 when the high-powered Festina squad was caught smuggling EPO & other doping products into France right before the 1998 TDF. EPO, of course, increases hemoglobin levels, thus increasing blood oxygen capacity.

To catch EPO users and blood dopers (dopes really), officials measured hematocrit. Officials set the "natural" limit at 50 and so anyone with a crit above 50 would be disqualified for suspected doping. The problem with this method of testing is that there are individuals out there with natural crit levels above 50. Therefore, new tests were created to actually test for the presence of synthetic EPO.

The test has it's flaws, and not every sporting body has adopted the new EPO tests, but like Lance Armstrong said, no other sport has gone to the great lengths to combat doping...weightlifting, swimming, or track & field (track & field is a doping mess!) that cycling has. Of course there will always be doping, but I think cycling has done the best job (compared to other endurance sports) of limiting the # of cheaters in the peleton.

Speaking of Lance, he uses an "altitude" tent to raise his blood oxygen capacity. This tent lowers oxygen levels to simulate high altitude, thus resulting in higher hemoglobin levels. This method of raising crit levels is safer because nothing's being added to the body (i.e. - synthetic EPO, frozen blood). It's a more natural way of increasing your blood oxygen capacity. Lance also combines this with extensive training camps (more like reconnisance(sp?) missions) in the Alps & Pyrenees, and that is one of the reasons why he's been dominant in the mountains these past few years (there's also his incredible pedaling cadence, but that's another story).

-----------------------------------
Now to answer some of Trek's questions...

I'm actually not a bike racer...I'm just a recreational rider like everyone else. I'm actually a middle-distance runner/volleyball player. However, cycling is my favorite spectator sport (besides football).

I became a fan of cycling in 1987. That summer, I was really bored, and so I decided to see what my dad was up to. He was watching the 1987 TDF, and I decided to join in. At first, I was a little bored...especially with the sprint finishes and all, but once they hit those mountains, I was hooked. I also enjoyed watching the time trials. It was quite an exciting tour with Stephen Roche winning by a very slim margin over Pedro Delgado.

I couldn't wait until 1988...Pedro pretty much dominated that tour (although he was involved in a pretty ugly doping controversy...I forget all the details).

And, of course, there was 1989 with the famous final ITT into Paris. LeMond defeating Fignon by a mere 8 seconds...that was downright spectacular!

As far as my favorite old-timers, Merckx has got to be right up there...anyone who not only wins the TDF 5 times, but wins all three jerseys (green, polka dot, and overall) in one Tour is a freakin' god! It's the equivalent of Eric Heiden(sp?) sweeping all five speedskating golds at the 1980 Winter Olympics!

(BTW, Eric Heiden was also a cyclist--although that's the case with a lot of speedskaters--and I must mention this being that this is SDN--Eric Heiden is also an orthopaedic surgeon...this man is a freak of nature!)

Other oldies? Coppi's quite a character (only man besides Armstrong to win both Alpe d'Huez & the overall), and I also like Ray Poulidor (most famous bridesmaid in TDF history).
------------------------------------------
Let's see, what else?

Oh yeah, some more random questions for all you cycling fans out there...

1) What are your thoughts on Simoni as a threat for overall G.C. at the TDF 2002? Personally, I don't think he stands a chance against the time-trialing of Jan & Lance. Granted he got second place in the long time trial against Frigo during the Giro, but Frigo (doped or not) is no Jan or Lance.

2) Some people out there believe Indurain is a far better time-trialist than Armstrong. I don't think so. Ullrich, I believe is Indurain's equal...same built, very natural time-trialists (I love their position on a time-trial machine), and although they're not great climbers, they know how to dig deep and grind their way up hills. And in head-to-head battles between Armstrong & Ullrich, Armstrong has a slight edge. Therefore, I think Armstrong would more than hold his own against Indurain. Okay, Indurain would have the slight edge because he's a natural time-trialist, but Armstrong would do fine. What do you think?

3) Everyone thinks Sevilla is next in line to the throne, but I think Millar is the next great threat to the reign of Jan & Lance. Millar is already the third or forth best time-trialist in the world behind Botero, Armstrong & Ullrich...and he's still 24 years old! If he learns how to use that power in the mountains, he'll be a very serious contender for overall G.C. I'm just not convinced Sevilla can really improve his time-trialing skills to contend for the overall G.C. at the TDF...but then again, we didn't think Lance could climb either. Anyway, who do you think will be the next great cyclist?

Well, those are all my random thoughts at this very moment...I need a break!

-Sauce :D

Hey Boyz,

You know, bike racing (mostly road) is where my SDN name comes from. I raced for 8 years, 5 of them full time on the national circuit.

At my last interview, my cycling career came up, and one of the fist questions asked was "so is blood doping as prevalent in the sport as they say it is"?

It made me feel kinda bad, because cycling's a great sport and it's got a pretty bad rep in many people's minds. Anyway, my answer to his question was "no, at least not in this country!"

In all my years of racing, I didn't know anyone personally who was doping! This is probably more because road cycling is such a dirt poor sport in this country though. I was never a great racer, but I was good. Even with all my sponsorships though, I NEVER made even close to enough money to support myself. Always had to wait tables or something, at least in the off-season!

Hey Saucy:

Great explanation of blood doping. I just don't see why this is wrong...I fully understand the synthetic bd problem but with one's own blood? I don't even think it has to be frozen. They just take about a pint a week before the race, keep it on a shaker and then reinject a couple of days before the race. Certainly this has to be brutal on the spleen and not the safest of practices but it doesn't involve the administration of any foreign substances whatsoever.
Sporting activities have certainly gone to extremes to maintain all competitors on the same competitive level, and I think the banning of blood doping (in its natural form) might be a bit too far. In my opinion, its no more of a competitive advantage than lifting, heightened endurance training, or naturally raising hct the way Lance does. I'll probably get flamed for this and I'm open to hear what the argument is against it...I just haven't heard one that makes any sence.