Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, just posted this over on the ortho forum, but thought I would here as well.
There are a number of fields I am currently interested in as a 2nd year medical student (including orthopedics, plastics, cards, anesthesiology). I know, all over the place.
Anyway, I was approved for an HHMI fellowship for my current ortho-related project. I was wondering what you all thought about pursuing this project if i am not totally sold on ortho? Would a successful HHMI research year also be useful for plastic surgery or other competitive fields?
Do they really expect 2nd year medical students to be completely sure of their future field without real clinical exposure? Does HHMI show enough of a committment to academics by itself, regardless of the field the project is actually in?
There are a number of fields I am currently interested in as a 2nd year medical student (including orthopedics, plastics, cards, anesthesiology). I know, all over the place.
Anyway, I was approved for an HHMI fellowship for my current ortho-related project. I was wondering what you all thought about pursuing this project if i am not totally sold on ortho? Would a successful HHMI research year also be useful for plastic surgery or other competitive fields?
Do they really expect 2nd year medical students to be completely sure of their future field without real clinical exposure? Does HHMI show enough of a committment to academics by itself, regardless of the field the project is actually in?