Hi Class 2006 Read!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How glad are you to be entering Medical School

• Extremely

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • Its Alright

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Not So Glad (Stressed)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worried

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doc_Thks_JC

Med/Peds Doc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi UHS-COM Class 2006,
I wanted to say congrats to all that are entering the class of 2006. I am a fellow student (Class 2005-- MSII) and a previous studentdoctor.net junky. I have not read or posted on this site for almost 2 years, and I am sure you will be much the same way once school starts. I wanted to give your class some information that might help with the start of school.
First, I will give you all some information on buying medical equipment--- Don't Buy it unless you just wish to have it at home. You really don't need it and it won't get used much at all-- I only use it on my family and that is very unoften. You will not be hurt if you don't buy it, plus you will have that money to use later in the year. The books I recommend are as follows: Moore and Dalley Clinical Anatomy (Dr. Thomas likes to ask clinically related anatomy questions from this book), Color Atlas of Anatomy (pictures of real dissection-- almost as good as going to Anatomy lab), Grant's Atlas (Don't buy dissector-- use someone else's at your table when you come to lab), Anatomy Coloring Book, a Board Review OMT (Don't buy Kimberly's Manual unless you are die hard OMT-- Sorry to say I am not, though, I like Muscle Energy and HVLA), A good medical dictionary (recommend Stedman's), Harrison's Manual of Medicine (recommend the full Edition but I only purchased Pocket Edition), Clinical Pharmacology made Ridiculously Simple (great little pharm book), Mosby's Guide to Physical Exam, A Good Histology Atlas (like Wheater's-- Because D Mac likes to show tons of Histology Pictures on Exams), Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG's (For Cardiology Section and Practice-- This is a great book and will sort through all of Dr. Johnson's Information), First Aid for USMLE Step 1, and Step-Up Systems Based Approach. You might also do well to buy: Guyton's if you don't understand Physiology but I think it is a waste and a Dermatology Atlas for the Skin, Blood, and Lymph Section (I wish I had). The previous books are what I recommend and Of course the only ones you probably need to purchase first day are the medical dictionary, Mosby's Guide to Physical Exam, Histology Atlas, and the Board Review OMT (or any OMT book that costs are reasonable for you).
Now, for the Computer thing. A computer is really not necessary. I cannot reiterate that enough. There are plenty of computers on campus (I believe they have just upgraded the ones in the lounge to Pentium 4's), in the library, and in Smith Hall that you can check your e-mail, surf the web, and check blackboard for information. I have no problem other than a slight wait sometimes to get on one. If you want one, then you can purchase one and they will allow financial aid for it, but it really is not essential.
I would purchase tons of 3 inch binders for the mountain of information you will have. I actually kept my lecture notes in my 3 inch binders and had a separate 2 inch binder to keep my notepool notes in. I separated my notepool notes into different subjects (embryo, phys, anatomy, etc....). I recommend notepool only because I was not a very attendance oriented student, but it really is not necessary. If you study your lecture notes, come to class and right down the hints given from the professors, then you should do fine on the quizzes and tests. Yet, I do still recommend notepool highly (never know when you may have to miss class). I did however find if you want to learn the material (you do want to be a great doc, right?) then you will learn it in any form.
If you want to be a gunner (nothing wrong with it at all!) then come to all classes, take notes, read your lecture notes every night, make questions and answers, study notepool, read your textbooks, And Read and Study to Understand, not to do good on exams (that will come second) etc..... You know, all that time consuming hard stuff!!! But if you have a family or want to enjoy life too, then you can do fine (make B's) if you study your lecture notes and notepool notes (And Yes, you can cram and get by (Make a C) but I don't recommend it).
Now for a little low down on the professors and their style. D Mac is a great professor (probably my favorite). He will really help you guys and help in any way possible. He also likes to ask alot of histology picture questions-- so know you histology atlas. Dr. Karius is a great physiology teacher-- She explains things so simply and really helps out (Goes on Blackboard on her free time to answer questions). She likes to ask questions to see if you understand Physiology totally-- So know your stuff!! Dr. Johnson (Cardiology Director) is a top notch Internal Medicine Doc (really clinically intelligent). He will really burn you out in the Cardiology Section. Know your EKG's (Dubin's). Dr. Thomas is anatomy and she will ask you mostly clinically oriented anatomy (Moore and Dalley). Dr. Grebe is Embryology and will ask some of the most detailed questions-- (I don't even think I got half her questions right last year). She really tries to teach it, but it is a hard subject to teach (even harder to keep up with). Dr. Ballam is there and I really didn't understand a question he asked last year (you will see what I mean). He is a nice guy and really tries though. Dr. Phillips is there and he teaches Biochem. Just do your best with that one! Dr. Willsie (Another of my Favorite teachers) was our Respiratory Section leader and she was awesome. She is so great with Clinical Medicine and will really test your clinical knowledge. She is now Dean of the College, so I do not know how much teaching she will do. Dr. Arnold is Surgery and will ask some really enlightening questions. So Know your surgery. Dr. Mazinga teachs Pharmacology. Know your Clinical Pharm made ridiculously simple. Dr. Dew teaches Epidemiology. Just know his notes. Dr. **** and Dr. Kolo teach ICM. Know your Mosby's and you will be fine. Dr. Treffer teaches OMT. Just know his notes. ERF is Pathology. Know Quizbank if you opt for it (Also attend the pathology Fellows clinical medicine labs-- they are awesome!!!). We also had outside teachers like Dr. Bunag (Pharm Teacher)-- Don't miss one of his classes, he is a great teacher, Internal Med Docs, and others. I think I named most of them, but If I miss any I apologize and you will meet them this year.
I would recommend classes to attend and those not to, but I will let you decide for yourself. Unless the previous post about attendence policy is correct. I also recommend you do Sports Physicals because they help your interview and physical exam skills. I recommend you relax and don't sweat the patient interviews you have-- Just talk to your patients and elicit their story. I recommend you spend alot of time with your cadaver to really learn your anatomy. I recommend you also have fun. Enjoy your family if you have one, and enjoy your life. I also recommend you do a clinical rotation between your 1st and 2nd year. I did and it was awesome. I got to do so much. The doc I was with let me see patients and do exams on my own. I even got to come up with treatment plans and he let me write Prescriptions and everything (with his supervision). I got to take care of patients as If I was the doc (most thought I was). I saw so much and got to work in clinic and ER. It was great and increased my clinical knowledge so much. I diagnosed and treated patients (with supervision from my preceptor) with appendicitis, kidney stones, rashes, did complete sports physical exams, broken bones, lesions, got to see a major surgery, learned to suture, took care of sick kids, lots of otitis media and externa (not to mention UTI's, and Sinusitis), learned to do Pap Smears, Hodgkins disease, Corneal lesions, testicular tosions and epidydimitis, and lots more!!! Tons of Fun!!!
Enjoy your first year, and If I can help or you have any other questions just ask!!! Plus Don't read those DO Vs. MD threads (they are a joke, Being a Doctor depends on how you do your job and care for your patients-- Not On Anything Else!!!)

This trek to become a doctor is a wonderful journey if you enjoy it along the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Doc,
You ROCK!!!!! THANK YOU so much! This has been the best source of info yet!!! :love:

I am going to print your post and copy down the books. This is appreciated more than you can know. For someone to say to an ignorant, incoming student, "Don't buy books" when the school gives you a "mandatory" list is ludicrous! It creates a lot of confusion, since EVERYONE learns differently. It's not wise to assume that we are all alike and that no one should buy a book.

Anyway, you are a kind person and I wish you the absolute best with your career. You will make a superb physician.

Yours,
Mary:D

Dear Doc_Thks_JC,

THANKS SO MUCH!!! A bit of insight was needed right now with the onslaught of inofrmation almost upon us!! YOU ROCK!!

Peace,
Hillary

UHSCOM2006

Members don't see this ad :)
now if someone had been as nice as you just were and told me not to buy books, i woulda saved tons of money during undergrad, instead of being stuck with books no one wants...oh yeah, you can always photocopy books/chapters you need, that's a whole lot cheaper too :D

Hi Guys (UHS Class 2006),
I am writing to inform you of some pertinent information that you would be interested in. First, the school recently received the information about the COMLEX Step I for the first class through the Genesis Curriculum that has taken it. And I am excited to inform you that the school said they had the highest average differential above the national mean (something like +7.7%). Something like 96% of first time takers, passed it and our standard deviation above the mean was extremely high. So all in all that means the Genesis Curriculum is a success. I took the USMLE board shelf exam this year and I came extremely close to passing it after only one year (scored a 59 with 62 being passing). I like this curriculum and I am glad that the scores from the COMLEX are supporting its use.
I am also writing to inform you that I received an email from the school stating that the attendance policy in the school manual would be inforced this year. That means you can miss 10% of classes per section. I am not sure how enforced it will be, but thought you might want to know.
I hope this has helped some of you!!!