Hi everyone, I'm a high school senior. Need some advice.

Started by dodge2012
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dodge2012

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys!

I'm currently a senior at Great Neck South High School, who's planning to study pre-med in the future. I got accepted to St. John's University with a major in Biology. Since senior year is very relaxing, do you suggest I get involved in any community service/research before starting undergrad? Anything at all?


Please let me know!!!
 
Most dental/med schools only want relevant experiences from college listed. However, if you start something now and continue it into college, it'll still count. Plus you may grow from the experience!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to, you should. Like stated above, if you continue in college it should count I believe. Also congratulations on getting accepted into St. Johns.
 
Get started now will be beneficial as it will let you know if you want to pursue this in college.
 
Definitely!! Too many people wait, and once you start college, it is a little tougher to get the motivation to go through all of the orientation processes and etc.

One thing that I did between hs and college was to be certified as a Red Cross CPR instructor (week long course), and it has been a great volunteer activity for me.

Also, I was able to get some ins for shadowing early. As a result, in these busier semesters, I haven't shadowed as much, but because I did a lot more my freshman year, I have accumulated many hours.

It's always important to look ahead; so many people don't! Good luck!