Hi, new here..advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SocialStigma

OVC c/o 2015
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've lurked SDN for awhile now but didn't decide to join until today.

Guess I'll give a little spiel about myself..I'm a sophomore in university, I've wanted to be a vet since I was 8 (I know, how many times have you heard this? haha 😀), and I'm applying to vet school next year.

Since I'm up in Canadaland (in Ontario, specifically), my #1 choice is OVC at Guelph.

This past fall semester, I was a bit too overambitious and opted to overload and take 6 subjects rather than the usual 5 because I wanted to get my prereqs done before my junior year. I took genetics, biochemical inquiry, organic chemistry, health psychology, human anatomy & physiology I and epidemiology. Needless to say, I realized too late (ie. past the dropout date) that I couldn't handle the courseload and come out with As in all of them, and so the result is that I got a C+ in organic chem 🙁.

Good news is that I got As in everything else. I had straight As my freshman year (3.89 GPA), but I'm worried if this will reflect badly on me..Guelph looks at the 8 vet prereqs and the GPA in the past 2 semesters so I'm lucky in that I took orgo in the fall semester and still have the winter semester as well as fall semester of my 3rd year to make up for it.

Should I bother retaking orgo in the summer and bump up my mark or just leave it as is and focus on acing my other courses?
 
If there is not some sort of forgiveness program you can take advantage of at your university, I would recommend taking a higher level of o-chem, acing it and showing the AC what you are made of. 😀

I've lurked SDN for awhile now but didn't decide to join until today.

Guess I'll give a little spiel about myself..I'm a sophomore in university, I've wanted to be a vet since I was 8 (I know, how many times have you heard this? haha 😀), and I'm applying to vet school next year.

Since I'm up in Canadaland (in Ontario, specifically), my #1 choice is OVC at Guelph.

This past fall semester, I was a bit too overambitious and opted to overload and take 6 subjects rather than the usual 5 because I wanted to get my prereqs done before my junior year. I took genetics, biochemical inquiry, organic chemistry, health psychology, human anatomy & physiology I and epidemiology. Needless to say, I realized too late (ie. past the dropout date) that I couldn't handle the courseload and come out with As in all of them, and so the result is that I got a C+ in organic chem 🙁.

Good news is that I got As in everything else. I had straight As my freshman year (3.89 GPA), but I'm worried if this will reflect badly on me..Guelph looks at the 8 vet prereqs and the GPA in the past 2 semesters so I'm lucky in that I took orgo in the fall semester and still have the winter semester as well as fall semester of my 3rd year to make up for it.

Should I bother retaking orgo in the summer and bump up my mark or just leave it as is and focus on acing my other courses?
 
Needless to say, I realized too late (ie. past the dropout date) that I couldn't handle the courseload and come out with As in all of them, and so the result is that I got a C+ in organic chem 🙁.

sounds like what i did to myself too but with biochemistry.. i got a 2.5 so basically a C+ and had fairly good grades in other classes. my advice is be prepared in your interview to explain why you got that grade (i did at my ohio interview and already got accepted despite that one grade) but other than that just keep pushing forward and learn from your mistake! keep up the good work and of course the vet experience 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've lurked SDN for awhile now but didn't decide to join until today.

Guess I'll give a little spiel about myself..I'm a sophomore in university, I've wanted to be a vet since I was 8 (I know, how many times have you heard this? haha 😀), and I'm applying to vet school next year.

Since I'm up in Canadaland (in Ontario, specifically), my #1 choice is OVC at Guelph.

This past fall semester, I was a bit too overambitious and opted to overload and take 6 subjects rather than the usual 5 because I wanted to get my prereqs done before my junior year. I took genetics, biochemical inquiry, organic chemistry, health psychology, human anatomy & physiology I and epidemiology. Needless to say, I realized too late (ie. past the dropout date) that I couldn't handle the courseload and come out with As in all of them, and so the result is that I got a C+ in organic chem 🙁.

Good news is that I got As in everything else. I had straight As my freshman year (3.89 GPA), but I'm worried if this will reflect badly on me..Guelph looks at the 8 vet prereqs and the GPA in the past 2 semesters so I'm lucky in that I took orgo in the fall semester and still have the winter semester as well as fall semester of my 3rd year to make up for it.

Should I bother retaking orgo in the summer and bump up my mark or just leave it as is and focus on acing my other courses?

I've know a few people who got a C in Orgo and still got in so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Just do really well in Orgo II and try taking upper-division chemistry courses to boost your GPA. Good luck!
 
I wouldn't worry too much about the C+. You got As in everything else and your freshman GPA was solid. By taking Orgo II next semester and doing well in that you will prove that you understood orgo I, just got overwhelmed by the courseload. I think if you continue to perform well in classes this one 'blemish' will not hurt you in the long run
 
Thanks for the reassurances everyone, it was very disappointing to see a C+ on my report, I have to admit, and it had me really worried.

I'll be sure to work hard next semester and I've learned my lesson and will never overload and take 6 courses again 😛 haha.
 
Good news is that I got As in everything else. I had straight As my freshman year (3.89 GPA), but I'm worried if this will reflect badly on me..Guelph looks at the 8 vet prereqs and the GPA in the past 2 semesters so I'm lucky in that I took orgo in the fall semester and still have the winter semester as well as fall semester of my 3rd year to make up for it.

This is pretty much my story. I just got my fall marks. A's across the board, except in Organic Chem, which is a C+. Talking to my advisor, I've decided to skip Org Chem II this semester and focus on electives which can bring up my average to mitigate the damage to my GPA. I already have my application to AVC in, so might as well leave it. If it seems it's too low, then I'll take it next year.