Hi UNE class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momdoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got accepted to UNE back in Jan, and now I am trying to get housing at Maine (Biddeford). I am having a hard time finding year round rental. Can anybody give me any suggestions as to how I may go about finding a house close to the University? :) :) :)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome Momdoctor!

I was just in Biddeford this past weekend and found a place to live.
I was also looking for year-round housing. I used the UNE housing
billboard as well as the classifieds in the Journal Tribune (York County
Newspaper) I ended up finding a place through Ben Poirier. He's the
landlord for several apts throughout Biddeford. Here's his email:
[email protected]

Join us on the Official UNECOM Class of 2008 thread!

Allison

From past experience, the best way to find housing is to drive around the area and look for "for-rent" signs. The problem with using the newspaper ads is that when the owners place the ads they usually gets a slew of people looking at the appartment and they are going to look for the longest term renters (ie. beyond 2 years). It really is a "leasers' market" in southern Maine (vs. lessees'). Often owners will save the hassle of wading through a bunch of people by just putting a sign up and waiting for someone to show up. That's what happened when we got our apt. in Saco in '01. Owner had put the sign up that day, and he reasonably expected that it would be rented out within a week (He went the other route when we left and had interviewed well over 20 people in 4 days). So really, setting aside a few days to look around is the best way. Hope this helps.