hi vraj here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vraj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry about not stating clearly, okay: my mcat averages about 22 and 23
and I am taking the actual on may 16.

GPA 3.6
tutored courses: organic I and II and Cell biology
Research in Biochemistry
Volunteered at hospitals
Assistant in lab set up at my university
cum laude, Dean's list honors
my mcat scores are not good, but I just to go in DO.(preferred CCOM)

Do I have good stats?
thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about not stating clearly, okay: my mcat averages about 22 and 23
and I am taking the actual on may 16.

GPA 3.6
Research in Biochemistry
Volunteered at hospitals

Do I have good stats?
thanks for your comments, appreciated.

Riker here.

You have good statistics.

LOL! Much clearer post. What is the average breakdown on your scores? Your ECs and GPA are good. I don't the exent of your volunteering experience, but the one thing I woudl have suggested would be more clinical experience. How about LORs? Did you shadow a DO? Do you have a DO LOR? A lot will depend on your actual score. Your MCAT averages are on the low end of averages for DO schools, but if you actually score a reasonably well-rounded 22 or 23, it is not impossible. Apply early and make sure that everything else in your application is perfect. Good luck!:luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have shadowed DO and MD
also I have gone through the recommendation commitee at my
school, and I have gotten really good feedback.
So hoping for the best....my breakdown on my last kaplan test:
PS:9
VR:6
BS:8

you think I can raise four or five(overall) on the acutal?

So hoping for the best....my breakdown on my last kaplan test:
PS:9
VR:6
BS:8

you think I can raise four or five(overall) on the acutal?

It is possible, but not probable. Most people score around the average of all of their practice tests, usually. On the actual test, some score towards the upper range of their average practice test score, some on the lower range.

My original opinion stands. I recommend not taking the test this May and to wait to pull the trigger when you are scoring higher, on average, on your practice tests. Try to shoot for around 28, if possible. You definitely don't want to be stuck with something lower than 23 on the actual test; that wouldn't help your cause at all. Your cumulative GPA tells me that you have good study habits and that you have the basic knowledge. Learn how to crack the MCAT.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck. :thumbup:

LOL! Much clearer post. What is the average breakdown on your scores? Your ECs and GPA are good. I don't the exent of your volunteering experience, but the one thing I woudl have suggested would be more clinical experience. How about LORs? Did you shadow a DO? Do you have a DO LOR? A lot will depend on your actual score. Your MCAT averages are on the low end of averages for DO schools, but if you actually score a reasonably well-rounded 22 or 23, it is not impossible. Apply early and make sure that everything else in your application is perfect. Good luck!:luck: :luck: :luck:

I second what DoctorMom said, you will propbably need to raise your MCAT a few points to get through the screening process at most D.O. schools. Always, always, always apply early. This can do wonders for your application. Good luck on the test.

Vraj, whats up with all the threads on the same thing? Just post your questions in one thread.

GPA 3.6
Research in Biochemistry
Volunteered at hospitals

I only applied to one osteopathic school, so I am not incredibly familiar with their numbers. Here are my two cents:

Let's say you score a 23 to go with your 3.6 and ECs. With that in mind, like others have said, you may have a difficult time getting past the secondary screening process. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most if not every DO school screens applicants before sending out secondaries (this is not the case at MD schools). Also, we should see your BCPM GPA. That could be a difference maker.

Sidenote, my MCAT score jumped up three or four points from my practice exams. Maybe yours will do the same.

You can get in with your stats, but it would be easier if you presented some unique ECs. What you've listed is pretty standard, actually. Can you find at least one or two activities to set yourself apart--to give yourself a "guy" name in the adcom meetings (i.e., "free clinic" guy, "Latin America mission" guy)?

Lastly, you mention your "MCAT scores are not good, but [you] just want to go in DO." While osteopathic schools do seem to accept lower stats, they also seem to except students with a more wide-range of interests--the "well-rounded student." If you don't score above a 23 on the MCAT this time, perhaps it's a blessing. Take a year to gather a few strong ECs and study for a better MCAT. You'll stand a better chance the next time around.

If you don't score above a 23 on the MCAT this time, perhaps it's a blessing. Take a year to gather a few strong ECs and study for a better MCAT. You'll stand a better chance the next time around.

Yeah, but why waste time and money applying with a 23 (or heaven forbid, something lower), if you can expand your options with a higher score, after a wee bit more effort and time? Wouldn't it be better to not even take the MCAT and apply until you can score at least in the average range for a matriculant? I think pulling the trigger before then is premature, unless you really think that this is the best you can do. In my opinion, the process is too painful to go through more than once. I recommend applying when you are at your strongest. If you think that is now, then by all means apply. Do it early and apply broadly.

Good luck.

I would def not take the MCAT this May, as you are clearly not ready. The avg MCAT score has risen dramatically in the past few years. Why limit yourself?? Make yourself more competitive instead of torturing yourself by applying with your fingers crossed.

6 verbal may kill you...

I would be hesitant to take the MCAT if my practice scores were around 22 or 23. My practice scores were consistently high 20s and low 30s and then on the real thing I got a 23. Now, I know some people do better on the MCAT than their practice tests, but after my personal experience I wouldn't do it. As far as your chances of getting in with a 23 and a 3.6 gpa I really have no idea because I'm really in the same exact spot, except I'm a varsity athlete and DJ for a radio station (which I think makes me a little different) in addition to the typical research/clinical/volunteer work. Goodluck with whatever you decide!