Hi

umqt73

10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
  1. Medical Student
    Hi. I am a first-year medical student at University of Miami, and I recently learned about PM&R as a specialty. I just met a physiatrist at a lecture last week on complementary medicine and before then I did not even know that this field of medicine existed. I wish I had known about PM&R sooner because it sounds like such an interesting field.

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you can give me about pursuing physiatry.

Here are a few questions I have to begin with:
    1) Is there a difference b/w PM&R and physiatry?
    2) Do you apply to a PM&R residency directly or do you first have to do a year of internal medicine or some other general kind of residency?
    3) Can you do an externship in PM&R at more than one school during third and fourth year?
    4) What other clerkships during 3rd and 4th year are helpful to better prepare you for a future in PM&R?
    5) What is the average board score to get a residency spot in PM&R?
    Any other advice that you may have would be great, and very appreciated, as well!

Thank you,
    Kim

SG1

10+ Year Member
    Aug 11, 2006
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Glad you found us!

Same thing. We just like to confuse people & ourselves with 2 names.

2) Do you apply to a PM&R residency directly or do you first have to do a year of internal medicine or some other general kind of residency?

Here are the options:
      4 year program--you apply to 1 program & do all 4 years in the same place
      3 year program--you apply to the PM&R program & to separate intern year programs
      Other--some programs have a set # of 1st year spots, so some people can go there for intern year but others do their intern year elsewhere.

I think most of us probably ended up applying to both PM&R & intern year programs. The match computer system is smart enough to figure out how to do all of this.

3) Can you do an externship in PM&R at more than one school during third and fourth year?

It depends on your school's policy, but many students rotate at more than 1 place.

4) What other clerkships during 3rd and 4th year are helpful to better prepare you for a future in PM&R?

We do a little bit of everything, so it's unlikely that any rotation you do won't help you in PM&R. Neuro, Ortho, Rheum, Sports Med & Urology are all helpful.

I don't know the answer to this one.

Hope this helps a bit.

MSKalltheway

I got the magic stick
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 16, 2007
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Hi. I am a first-year medical student at University of Miami, and I recently learned about PM&R as a specialty. I just met a physiatrist at a lecture last week on complementary medicine and before then I did not even know that this field of medicine existed. I wish I had known about PM&R sooner because it sounds like such an interesting field.

I would greatly appreciate any advice that you can give me about pursuing physiatry.

umq,

I've been here tryin' to work my magic here getting my classmates interested in PM&R, or at least informed. I just had a meeting yesterday where a couple of our 4th years who matched came to talk to students, so hopefully I can be of assistance to you! Residents and attendings who post here will have a better perspective than I, but I'm procrastinating so I figured I'd answer :)

No, they are one in the same. A Physiatrist practices PM&R

This can sound complicated when you get into the details, but for the most part yes, you do a year of internal medicine first, then 3 years of PM&R residency.

Depends on how many away rotations your school allows you. This shouldn't be a problem generally. I personally plan on doing 2-3, one at my home institution, one at a top tier program, and maybe one at Hopkins (its across town so why not?)

There are many, but popular ones I heard of were Neurology, Orthopedic Surgery, and Neurosurgery. Urology, EM, FM and Rheumatology were others people have suggested to me.

I guess the easiest way to go about this is to quote the charting outcomes. The 2007 mean was 209 and the 25:75 percentile range was 195-222 for US Seniors. As discussed in other threads, top programs will likely get more applicants with scores in the higher ranges, whether it be program selection or self-selection. PM&R focuses less on strictly Step 1 score and looks more at the complete package. However, still do as well as you possibly can! A great score only helps.

Showing early interest in PM&R as a med student is a bonus too. RIC has a summer externship program, and Cincy used to have one although I dont think its been active for a few years. If your school has a department, see if you cant shadow/research this summer. Had I stayed here at school last summer, I would have done my own "make your own externship" at the Rehab facility affiliated with school (you can count the # of physiatrist faculty here on one hand, but those here are flexible and awesome...most attendings in the field are). If you dont have a PM&R interest group at school, start one. If you already have one, be really involved in it. Make sure to have a positive attitude and be great with your patients. As one of our classes matches said, "They look for a certain personality because you'll have to tell someone they'll never walk again, so they want people who can be great at communicating with patients."

I hope the answers and advice I gave you sound reasonable, its mostly just echoing sentiments from other people and statements from this very forum. PM me if you have any specific questions of me, I hope that helps you out! :luck:

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.