Hidden Gems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoosierdaddyO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious if any applicants throughout their travels experienced any programs that they intially didn't pay too much attention to, but after the interview it moved up on your list? In my experience there were a bunch of hidden gems and just curious what others had to say :)?

Members don't see this ad.

I liked allegheny. The city was more interesting than I expected, busy ED, attendings had cool research/interests. Overall seems like a low maintenance group of people and a decent place to train. Never got invited to UPMC so i cant compare

Reactions: 1 user
Most "hidden gems" are hidden for a reason. They are in locations that nobody wants to move to. Look at almost any program in an area with high poverty, high violent crime rate, that is not a well known academic institution, or near the ocean, mountains, or top 15 population-wise city in the U.S. and you've found a hidden gem.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I found some nice programs in not so nice locations, but I don't think I had any real surprises. The list of top 5s I started with is what I eventually ended up ranking. The order changed a bit but popular programs and locations are that way for a reason.

Most "hidden gems" are hidden for a reason. They are in locations that nobody wants to move to. Look at almost any program in an area with high poverty, high violent crime rate, that is not a well known academic institution, or near the ocean, mountains, or top 15 population-wise city in the U.S. and you've found a hidden gem.
You must be fun at parties.

Reactions: 1 users
MCW
U Iowa
Kalamazoo

As always, YMMV

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a "hidden gem" - it's widely regarded as a top EM program.
Ahh my mistake. I didn't realize it was that good of a program. I thought location would turn a lot of people off. Thanks for the info.

Not that it was a program I didn't pay attention to, but it's a program that I feel doesn't get the attention it deserves. I rotated at Baystate in Springfield, MA this year and found the experience to be incredible. Really amazing faculty and they tend to attract stellar residents. One of the chiefs this past year runs the FOAMcast podcast. Not an awesome area, but I definitely think this program is worth checking out.

Reactions: 2 users
Location =\= quality of a program
I know location doesn't equal quality. But I would think it does play a small role in the competitiveness of the program, no? That's what I meant by saying that the location might turn some people off.

After re-reading my post I shouldn't have said good. I should have said competitive. My mistake.

Not that it was a program I didn't pay attention to, but it's a program that I feel doesn't get the attention it deserves. I rotated at Baystate in Springfield, MA this year and found the experience to be incredible. Really amazing faculty and they tend to attract stellar residents. One of the chiefs this past year runs the FOAMcast podcast. Not an awesome area, but I definitely think this program is worth checking out.

I was also surprised and impressed by Baystate. Also UConn.

Not sure if it's under the radar, but University of Wisconsin will be very high on my list.

I third UConn. Solid program with awesome residents. Got a great vibe from PD and other faculty. Also, the West Hartford area seems like a great place to live.

Buffalo was my last interview, pretty sure I got it due to a last minute cancellation, and it ended up very high on my list. Hidden gem in my opinion, if you don't mind snow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
secret.png

Reactions: 4 users
Buffalo was my last interview, pretty sure I got it due to a last minute cancellation, and it ended up very high on my list. Hidden gem in my opinion, if you don't mind snow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I still think this is a great program and great city (lived there in an earlier life). Really on the up and up these days since no one can afford nyc....

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

Hidden gems:

Albany med- was surprisingly a nice group of residents and a pretty decent schedule, like others the location was the most ideal. The faculty were pretty chill for the most part, and the PD was a positive.

Morristown med center- doesn't get as much air time as it should, was a very solid hybrid type of hospital (community but 700 bed academic center). Residents were probably some of the most down to earth I've come across, PD was a boss and was a plus, the schedule like Albany was very free time friendly. The area is northern jersey kind of a equidistant to NYC, poconos, jersey shore. Walked in knowing nothing, walked out liking it.

Peoria- kinda like what others said, walked in knowing nothing, walked out really thinking the program has some huge upsides and potential in other areas. The residents were pretty chill and the hospital was impressive.

All 3 programs bumped up for me come time for rank list!!

You mean to say the Harvard associated program in Boston is a hidden gem?
It's like I'm taking crazy pills.
You know, I'm a little worried that the lack of brand name of the program will limit my job options in the future, but I think I would really be my happiest there.

You know, I'm a little worried that the lack of brand name of the program will limit my job options in the future, but I think I would really be my happiest there.
usually name brands build a connection with the other person and puts you in a better light to get a job. I've never heard of anyone not getting a job b/c of where they went. the only thing that will limit your job opportunity is if you're a douchnozzle..... and then regardless of where you went to residency, no one will take you. reputation is everything in this small specialty where everyone knows everyone

Can we revive this thread for hidden gems this interview season?! Interested to see if any other new/small/inconveniently located programs are seemingly on the up and up!

Can we revive this thread for hidden gems this interview season?! Interested to see if any other new/small/inconveniently located programs are seemingly on the up and up!

One from the DO side. I had a great experience at Norman Regional Health System in Norman, OK. Learned a lot a all 3 campuses. Top notch ultrasound training. Some of the best didactics I'd experienced. One of the few places where all the residents, even the ones on off-service rotations were happy and enjoying it. There's an emphasis on pre-hospital care, the residents are getting a response vehicle and will be expected to run calls with the hospital based ambulance service. Utterly conflicted on it's position on my rank list

A new program that intrigued me was the WellStar Kennestone in Marietta, GA. Seemed like the faculty want the best for the program. Probably the nicest facilities and the best benefits of everywhere I had interviewed, with a new ED planned to be completed by 2020. Made me rethink my entire AOA/ACGME match strategy. If the Charting Outcomes data was more in my favor, I would have probably pulled out of the AOA match and ranked them #1 for ACGME.

Agree with UConn and Baystate, both solid programs. Would also add nearby UMass, beautiful facilities and great research.