"Hidden job market" in Anesthesia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joethestuff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Outside of Physician Placement firms, GasJobs.com, & GasWorks.com, I 've often heard of a "hidden job market" with much better positions than are listed on those sites.

Can any current residents (or anyone else "in the know") tell me how you're approaching your job search near the end of your residency???

BTW, Its been along time since I last posted on this site. Good luck to all of you who are applying to residency this Fall. I'm a CA-II at highly ranked Southeastern Program (& a USIMG to boot), so trust me when I say the stress of your Residency Search will soon be over! There is plenty of room for all of you...

Members don't see this ad.

Funny...All I can find on gasworks.com is flavored condoms and a game called Climaxxx. :laugh: You may want to try gaswork.com :thumbup:

joethestuff said:
Hey everyone,

Outside of Physician Placement firms, GasJobs.com, & GasWorks.com, I 've often heard of a "hidden job market" with much better positions than are listed on those sites.

Can any current residents (or anyone else "in the know") tell me how you're approaching your job search near the end of your residency???

BTW, Its been along time since I last posted on this site. Good luck to all of you who are applying to residency this Fall. I'm a CA-II at highly ranked Southeastern Program (& a USIMG to boot), so trust me when I say the stress of your Residency Search will soon be over! There is plenty of room for all of you...

Headhunters aren't so bad to use since it saves you time, but if you know where you want to go, you are better off calling the hospitals in that area and asking which groups are there, asking if they are known to be hiring, and collecting contact information.

Larger groups will refer you to their recruiters. Smaller groups usually start the process over the phone. This is time intensive, but usually more productive as you can hear things straight from the horses' mouth.

Ask as many faculty members in your department about what contacts they have in which part of the country you might be interested in. If your targets are widely scattered, the headhunters again are probably going to be more beneficial to you. Having a connection, though, via an alumnus or faculty member can be all that it takes get an interview in the most competitive locations and groups.

Don't wait to get your CV polished. If you don't know how, get an experienced person to help you with it. Also get at least three letters of recommendation lined up early to avoid any delays that may cause.