Technology Hidden smartphone app tracks your data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bojack Horseman

hey!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember when people were upset over apple storing the location of WiFi towers to help find your position easier. This is a million times worse, with the ability to track everything you do on your phone.

I know this isn't googles fault, its the carriers who placed this on the devices but this is what you get when you have an "open" system.

Wow, this is going to be huge.

Nasty stuff. This is why I like phones that use less well known operating systems, like WebOS. Malware writers/tracking companies, etc... don't bother because not enough people use them.

Also, Slevin, if you read the update to the article, it is installed on iPhones, but is disabled by default, however, there is nothing to stop the carriers from activating it.

This kind of crap is just going to become more and more common as smartphones become increasingly powerful. This wasn't possible with lower powered or less intelligent phones because the impact on performance would be noticeable, but with laptop class processors and graphics accelerators in phones these little programs can snoop in the background without using any significant resources.

This is why everything that is a general purpose device with access to the Internet should have a 3rd party firewall that reports/logs any and all traffic, including anything that is part of the OS. Then people would be able to see what on their device is active, when it is active, and with whom it is communicating.

On my laptop I'm always amazed at what programs, including parts of the OS, are trying to phone home for one reason or another.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I saw this too. Very disturbing what Carrier IQ can do. It seems as though carriers are in working with CIQ to get this software installed after phones are made in the factor. Now how many doctors use Iphones and droids? How much patient information has been leaked to Carrier IQ? The potential for a massive lawsuit from HIPAA violations alone is huge.

Wow, this is going to be huge.
Also, Slevin, if you read the update to the article, it is installed on iPhones, but is disabled by default, however, there is nothing to stop the carriers from activating it.

Actually, to have it turned on while using an iPhone you need to put the phone in diagnostic mode with is off by default and even then it doesn't log nearly as much info as the android version does.