High Cumulative GPA Low Science GPA Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc1014

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I’m a freshman rn and I have an good enough cumulative gpa so far (3.7) and non science gpa is 4.0, but my science gpa is like 3.3 maybe 3.4 max. It’s 4 classes I have an A- in bio, B in calc, Pass for physics so no effect on gpa, and a B+ in ochem which I think I can get to an A-. I know it’s still early and I’m sure I can pad my sGPA with some “easier” classes but idk I’m kinda scared now because it’s just such a big difference between the two so is that ok or should they be closer?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You’re science GPA maters much more than your cGPA. You want your sGPA to be at least 3.5 for MD schools but more realistically 3.6-3.7 as to not have to fall back on a very high MCAT or graduate program. If anyone doesn’t believe me, get an MSAR subscription and look at sGPA percentiles.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys so I’m a freshman rn and I have an good enough cumulative gpa so far (3.7) and non science gpa is 4.0, but my science gpa is like 3.3 maybe 3.4 max. It’s 4 classes I have an A- in bio, B in calc, Pass for physics so no effect on gpa, and a B+ in ochem which I think I can get to an A-. I know it’s still early and I’m sure I can pad my sGPA with some “easier” classes but idk I’m kinda scared now because it’s just such a big difference between the two so is that ok or should they be closer?
Rising GPA trends are always good. You have quite a while to to go

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re just a freshman (you might even change your mind about becoming a doctor, like 80% of my premed friends did)! You’re also learning how to balance your course loads. Most of us have been there, so don’t worry too much and focus on your college experience.

Rising GPA trends are always good. You have quite a while to to go
I'm guessing the big gap between the 4.0 non-science and 3.4 science is a red flag though right? What do you think the biggest acceptable gap is? My guess is like 0.1-0.2 max right?

I'm guessing the big gap between the 4.0 non-science and 3.4 science is a red flag though right? What do you think the biggest acceptable gap is? My guess is like 0.1-0.2 max right?
Gap doesn’t matter…it’s the low sGPA like @Goro said. 3.5 sGPA and 3.55 all other GPA is not better or less concerning than 3.6 sGPA and 4.0 all other GPA even though the latter is a bigger gap.

Taking o-chem as a freshman is almost always a trap that really smart students fall into. In my 25 years of experience, the lowest GPA almost always comes in the year that one takes o-chem. So, I would project that you will be on an upward slope going forward and should keep working hard knowing that your GPA could be much, much better 2 years from now.

It's alright, its a few classes and you're only a freshman. Don't worry right now, just try to do as best as you can going forward.

Honestly Orgo as a freshman getting a B+/A- is pretty impressive.