High flow nasal cannula

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stitch

Jedi Ninja Wizard
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there using Optiflow or Vapotherm? What's your hospital policy/setup regarding where it can be used? Does placement on even a little bit of extra flow result in PICU admission or can hospitalists use it on the floor? Is there a hard limit to the amount of flow before ICU transfer occurs? Would love you hear your pathways if you have them.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone out there using Optiflow or Vapotherm? What's your hospital policy/setup regarding where it can be used? Does placement on even a little bit of extra flow result in PICU admission or can hospitalists use it on the floor? Is there a hard limit to the amount of flow before ICU transfer occurs? Would love you hear your pathways if you have them.
I know where I did residency we were using Vapotherm on the floor up to 6L; could do a transient increase up to 8L if you were trying something like an albuterol neb or suctioning to try and stabilize, but going above 6L necessitated a transfer of care.

Now during fellowship at a different institution I take care of oncology patients rather than kids with pneumonia/bronchiolitis/etc, but my impression is that anything above a couple of liters of flow from the wall results in PICU transfer.

Yes, we use it. Most of the time it is initiated in the ER and requires PICU admission, though if patients meet certain criteria based on flow and age and there are support staff and beds available the can go to a transitional care unit staffed by hospitalists either from the PICU or ER. Unfortunately, the beds aren’t often open (they aren’t dedicated beds) or the floor teams refuse if it comes from the ER (they can’t refuse de-escalations of care from the PICU).

I want to say the criteria for transitional unit admission is greater than 1 month of age, not premature and on flow of less than 2 l/kg/min and stable or weaning but I might be misremembering. And again it’s not set in stone as the floor refused a 14 yo lung transplant patient who was comfortable on 17 l/min.

All that being said, the data thus far is the high flow nasal cannula on the floor doesn't change cost or outcomes to any significant degree so it's hard to justify the resources (nursing ratios and RT staffing) and why I think the places I've been at have been "meh". It does have the ability to offload the unit census... when beds are open though.
Clinical Outcomes of Bronchiolitis After Implementation of a General Ward High Flow Nasal Cannula Guideline
High-Flow Nasal Cannula in Bronchiolitis: Modeling the Economic Effects of a Ward-Based Protocol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
We use vapotherm all the time at my residency hospital with no max for the floor, but I would say the general rule is if they are 2 L/kg/min or around 22 L/min and still looking bad, they go to the picu for noninvasive ventilation. Vapotherm kids essentially fill the hospitalist teaching service in bronchiolitis season.

Last edited:
At my current/residency hospital anyone who needs high flow goes to the PICU. Where I’m going to ba an attending, though, will allow limited high flow on the floor. I am not sure of the exact policy yet.

Anyone who needed high flow went to the PICU. We could do maybe 4-5L simple NC off the wall max before the nurses would be asking you if you wanted to call a rapid response.

The residents would often complain that they wished they could do high flow on the floor and avoid all those rapid responses...

At one hospital we rotated at, we we could do HF on the floor. At our main Children's hospital, they had to go to the PICU. The former was much better. It's real stupid to send these kids to the PICU. Only a small percentage of them will need escalation of care beyond high flow, and when that starts happening, you can transfer them. It's more difficult if you don't have a PICU on site - because if that's the case, you have to be more conservative and start thinking about transferring early before they start decompensating. But in a children's hospital with a PICU, I don't think you're creating a dangerous situation by just letting kids be on high flow for things like bronchiolitis. Your residents, floor nurses and RTs should be more than able to manage it.

Reactions: 1 user
We manage a lot of HFNC patients on the floor at my current program. Current guidelines allow patients requiring up to 2L/kg/min of flow support and no more than 50% FiO2 to be managed on the floor at our shop.

In residency no limits on HFNC, but if you were much above 12 LPM, then generally were moving to the intermediate care unit (better nursing ratios) if available and getting the PICU fellow to take a peek at the patient (formal vs informal consult was worked out between the senior resident, fellow and if need be the PICU attending). There was no O2 limitation either.

In fellowship, at one of those top 10 children's hospitals that I don't think train residents super well, anything above 4 lpm resulted in transfer to the PICU and asinine conversations from the senior residents and hospitalists along the lines of "well we tried 3lpm, then went to 3 and a quarter with no improvement, then went to 3 and 3/4 about an hour later and they just weren't getting better...I think they're going to tire out and need to be intubated as soon as they get to the unit", plenty of times where 6LPM was all that was needed. Additionally, anything requiring >50% O2 was a PICU call, and sometimes the floor would not accept a kid on 45% because that was "close" to 50%

Now as an attending, in a third location, the hospitalists have weight based criteria, <5kg will take up to 6lpm, 5-10kg up to 10, and over 10kg will take up to 12 lpm. Same O2 limitations and BS about getting close to needing 50%.

All told, nursing care matters more than anything else. And while the data hasn't been the panacea I would love it to be, I'd argue there's a lot of variation in practice that I think skews matters. Working in a location where there are limited resident presence, but very high volume and acuity, I guarantee the value/LOS/and intubation rates would be different than what is published (not necessarily for the better in some aspects, I will readily admit). Every year I easily have at least a dozen patients that I crank on high flow that I would have intubated while a fellow because my attendings preferred that. The flipside is that without the cadre of providers, the weaning of flow on some of these kids gets drawn out. I also think that the equipoise in the data can be read into in multiple ways. If you're a pro HF person, then keeping kids out of the PICU is probably desirable and this is a tool that can do that (depending on the implementation), knowing that if you're actually sick, then your course isn't going to change much. If you you think HF needs to really prove something to be used more broadly, then perhaps a less is more strategy continues to be the mantra for bronchiolitis (just like the rest of it). Maybe that means we don't really need to worry about high RR if you're maintaining an adequate gas exchange, maybe bulb suctioning really is all that is needed. I often wonder what bronchiolitis season was like in the 60's before all of our modern day interventions and what the outcomes were and if we haven't moved the needle, then maybe short of treating actual hypoxia we shouldn't do anything...

We didn’t have HFNC in my residency nor for the first half of fellowship (I’m not that old, but old enough to remember the Ralatonia infection issues. I also the older mist tents with helium for RSV, but whatever). We just let them be tachypneic. It was the work of breathing, not the rate... “comfortably tachypneic”

I think Vapotherm has decreased the intubation rate, but not dramatically so (we also had nasal CPAP prior to HFNC). If anything, I think any metrics are likely to be a wash with Vapotherm because while intubation rates may have gone down, they are offset by increased HFNC utilization and prolonged weaning. Nowadays, kids get slapped on HFNC for any sort of respiratory aberrancy... whether they actually needed or benefitted from it... seems less obvious. The number of times we’ve had kids come to the ICU only to be weaned off within a couple of hours (or never placed back on) is too many to count.

I am a major skeptic of high flow outside of the NICU; it's an intervention that is perceived as being fairly benign, potentially helpful, "floor approved" so it gets used in situations where it isn't necessary or worse, inadequate, and in place of what is really needed to support the patient.

In residency we could do high flow on the floors. Where I do fellowship most kids come to the PICU but there is a protocol to put a very limited selection of bronchiolitis kids on high flow on the floor.

But yeah, several times a week I get a baby who's tachypnea didn't get better when the floor team started high flow so they cranked it up and up and went above the limited floor protocol and now the baby is "too sick". I usually just take the high flow off and let the baby be comfortably tachypneic.

Members don't see this ad :)
We didn’t have HFNC in my residency nor for the first half of fellowship (I’m not that old, but old enough to remember the Ralatonia infection issues. I also the older mist tents with helium for RSV, but whatever). We just let them be tachypneic. It was the work of breathing, not the rate... “comfortably tachypneic”

I think Vapotherm has decreased the intubation rate, but not dramatically so (we also had nasal CPAP prior to HFNC). If anything, I think any metrics are likely to be a wash with Vapotherm because while intubation rates may have gone down, they are offset by increased HFNC utilization and prolonged weaning. Nowadays, kids get slapped on HFNC for any sort of respiratory aberrancy... whether they actually needed or benefitted from it... seems less obvious. The number of times we’ve had kids come to the ICU only to be weaned off within a couple of hours (or never placed back on) is too many to count.
Sorry for the bump. I know this is old but this was recently published and quite relevant:

CONCLUSIONS: The proportions of children with bronchiolitis admitted to an ICU and receiving NIV have substantially increased, whereas the proportion receiving IMV is unchanged over the past decade.

tenor.gif

We use vapotherm all the time at my residency hospital with no max for the floor, but I would say the general rule is if they are 2 L/kg/min or around 22 L/min and still looking bad, they go to the picu for noninvasive ventilation. Vapotherm kids essentially fill the hospitalist teaching service in bronchiolitis season.

Kind of a weird upper cutoff. I consider 20L a starting flow for an adult size person

Sorry for the bump. I know this is old but this was recently published and quite relevant:

tenor.gif

Interesting study but I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with the information. We have good physiologic data that HFNC reduces work of breathing (even if not readily apparent on exam) and improves outcomes in some populations eg PNA. At the bedside, avoiding the discussion of reduced IMV, my experience is an obvious improvement in patient comfort with HFNC for most patients (less agitation, improving tachycardia, etc). With regard to the study, I agree with the generalized notion that HFNC is widely overapplied at least in the context of use to avoid IMV, and there's definitely a systems cost to that overuse, but at least not the extent of what we saw with COVID surges and adults when you have half a unit on 70L 100%

Interesting study but I'm not sure exactly what I'd do with the information. We have good physiologic data that HFNC reduces work of breathing (even if not readily apparent on exam) and improves outcomes in some populations eg PNA. At the bedside, avoiding the discussion of reduced IMV, my experience is an obvious improvement in patient comfort with HFNC for most patients (less agitation, improving tachycardia, etc). With regard to the study, I agree with the generalized notion that HFNC is widely overapplied at least in the context of use to avoid IMV, and there's definitely a systems cost to that overuse, but at least not the extent of what we saw with COVID surges and adults when you have half a unit on 70L 100%
While I have likewise seen some improvements in RR and HR, have a seen just as many that it didn't make a different or even worse, we weaned off the HFNC in less than 60 minutes of arriving. For instance, the ER last night slapped HFNC on a teenager who likely had vaping pneumonitis. It was weaned off in 3 hours and made no difference in any physiologic parameter. We also, generally speaking, leave it on way too in most cases, which is more of a staffing issue than anything else.

I'm not really complaining. I like the RVUs and most of us (me and my immediate colleagues) are happy to babysit the bronchiolitic on HFNC and get that bundled care as opposed to the same age child who had an OSH cardiac arrest with little hope of meaningful recovery, but its pretty clear that the system is utilizing more HFNC without any significant improvement in outcomes.

While I have likewise seen some improvements in RR and HR, have a seen just as many that it didn't make a different or even worse, we weaned off the HFNC in less than 60 minutes of arriving. For instance, the ER last night slapped HFNC on a teenager who likely had vaping pneumonitis. It was weaned off in 3 hours and made no difference in any physiologic parameter. We also, generally speaking, leave it on way too in most cases, which is more of a staffing issue than anything else.

I'm not really complaining. I like the RVUs and most of us (me and my immediate colleagues) are happy to babysit the bronchiolitic on HFNC and get that bundled care as opposed to the same age child who had an OSH cardiac arrest with little hope of meaningful recovery, but its pretty clear that the system is utilizing more HFNC without any significant improvement in outcomes.
Oh man, I don't know why I was reading this thread, but I saw the highlighted. That kid had a freaking crazy course after this post. ECMO, head bleed, father insisting on terminally extubating him, mother refusing. Most of my colleagues agreeing with the dad. Two EVDs. Colleagues made him unilaterally DNR. Court order to prevent dad from withdrawing.

Kid f-cking walked out of the hospital after all was said and done...

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Oh man, I don't know why I was reading this thread, but I saw the highlighted. That kid had a freaking crazy course after this post. ECMO, head bleed, father insisting on terminally extubating him, mother refusing. Most of my colleagues agreeing with the dad. Two EVDs. Colleagues made him unilaterally DNR. Court order to prevent dad from withdrawing.

Kid f-cking walked out of the hospital after all was said and done...
Wow that’s amazing. Kids heal like gangbusters. I had a teenager who was literally hit by a train, severe TBI, in DI with almost no neuro exam. Told the family the prognosis. One parent wanted to withdraw, the other didn’t. Kid left with Trach and went to rehab. Literally walked in a year later. Mom pointed at me and told him ‘that’s the doctor who said you were going to die!’ He looks at me and gives me the finger. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Wow that’s amazing. Kids heal like gangbusters. I had a teenager who was literally hit by a train, severe TBI, in DI with almost no neuro exam. Told the family the prognosis. One parent wanted to withdraw, the other didn’t. Kid left with Trach and went to rehab. Literally walked in a year later. Mom pointed at me and told him ‘that’s the doctor who said you were going to die!’ He looks at me and gives me the finger. 🤣
Sometimes in medicine, it’s good to be wrong.

Sometimes in medicine, it’s good to be wrong.

I've had a lot of this recently. Palliatively decanulated a baby from ecmo, had paco's in the 100's for a few days after, then just got better, eventually discharged home. I enjoy being wrong but it's really messed with my ability to honestly prognosticate

Are these good things - is the one miracle worth the 50 other terrible survivors or drawn out deaths that are created by not withdrawing?

In the de-cannulation example, is it not still the right call- you stopped a treatment that ultimately was no longer making a difference to whether the patient was going to recover or not.

Are these good things - is the one miracle worth the 50 other terrible survivors or drawn out deaths that are created by not withdrawing?

In the de-cannulation example, is it not still the right call- you stopped a treatment that ultimately was no longer making a difference to whether the patient was going to recover or not.
There is no right answer to that question.

Reactions: 3 users