High GPA but low MCATs ....Can I get in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc6181

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am not a native English speaker. I have a high GPA(3.6) but my MCAts were rather low(18). Do you think if I have any chances of getting into DO this year??
Please suggest what I should do to improve my Verbal 5 only:-(
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by FutureDoc6181
Please suggest what I should do to improve my Verbal 5 only:-(
Thanks.

Choose the best correct answer next time :idea:

How much did you prepare for the MCAT? If English isn't your native language it will probably be difficult to get your verbal score up, but I know that 6 is the ultimate cut off for many schools, allopathic and osteopathic. I have a friend who got into UCSF with a 6 in verbal, but got 13's in PS and BS, making her overall score 32. You should probably try to get the science scores up if you can. Have you looked at osteopathic schools at all? They tend to look past the numbers if you have some good life experiences to offer. But even osteopathic schools have average MCAT's of about 24-25. However, this is an average, and I know lots of students that got into an osteopathic school with a much lower score because they had other things on their applications which made them desirable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say slim to none. I would study my ass off for 2-3 months, maybe even take a review course and try to improve it to around a 25+. You didn't list any of you EC either. They will be factored into your chances heavily if you are having scores that might just be on the edge of getting in or not getting in.

Oh ya, and I wouldn't consider a 3.6 a high GPA at all for medical school applicants.

How long have you been speaking English? Did you go to school in the US?

I sucked at verbal but managed to improve a lot by doing practice tests.

Did you take a review course?

I'd suggest that you read a lot of non-fiction, do a ton of practice tests, and perhaps take a review course.

I improved my verbal score by reading lots of non-fiction. Of course, I have a leg up because I speak English as a first language, but I think anyone can improve. Aim for at least a 7 in Verbal, this could probably get you into a DO school and it is not unrealistic. Also try to improve the B and P scores. If your GPA is 3.6, you obviously aren't stupid so you can probably improve, but no GPA is high enough to overcome an MCAT score of 18. (Sounds harsh, but I think it's true!)

Just curious.... what's the average MCAT for osteopaths? For allopaths, it's generally around 30 or so.

For DO, I have heard 24 or 25...but that may be taking all the DO schools together. Each school has the average of their matriculants and it's going up...I have heard OSUCOM's average is around 27 along with KCOM...CCOM is hovering around a 26 or 27 as well..TUCOM I think is around a 26.

The school will give the average MCAT of the students that matriculate into the program...I would suggest shooting above or near the averages of the schools you would like to attend. Check each school individually. I don't know about the other schools.

GOOD LUCK and don't give up! :luck:

Hi, I am not a native English speaker either and I got a 9 on my verbal. Here is How I did in my MCAT Verbal section (it was three years ago... how time flies)

1. I checked how many passages I had. I forgot how many but lets say it was 9.

2. SKIP one passage! I read the first sentence of every passage. There were some topics I was familar with (geography etc), some topics sounded interesting, and some topics I hated/had no clue. I identifed the most diffuclt/boring one. If you happen to hate two, pick the one with fewest questions.

3. I did a quick calculation: 85 minutes for eight passages (I skipped one passage). That is about 10 and half minutes for each one.

All the above steps took me less than one minute.

4. I first read the passages whose topics I am familiar. These are freebies to me. But I read them carefully and used all the alloted time. I believe I got them all right.

5. Then I read the passages whose topics are interesting.

6. Then I read the passages that are plain boring.

7. I got two minutes left after finishing the eight passage. I spent one minute to look through the one passage I left out and bubbled my favorite letter for each question.

I would recommend you take the MCAT over. If your verbal was 5, that leaves you 13 more points for the other two sections. It seems like you need to try and improve your overall score. You may want to try taking some type of prep course. I know everyones different, but the only reason I got the score I did was because of my review course. Whatever you do....good luck and don't give up!

fullefect1 said:
Oh ya, and I wouldn't consider a 3.6 a high GPA at all for medical school applicants.

It's by no means a shabby GPA either!!

ArmyDoc1999 said:
Check this link for MCAT averages for every med school in the nation. It is my understanding that the info may be a bit dated, but it hasn't changed THAT much. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! Keep trying and you'll make it!

http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/premed/MCAT_GPA_List.htm#OSTEOPATHIC

That is an old list. I would suggest calling the schools to find out the recent MCAT averages or checking the schools' websites.

Yep that site is at least 3yrs old, but it is probably twice that. I looked at when it was last edited and it says '01 but then some of the articles were written in '98 or earlier so I suggest the OP find a more up to date list, if there is one.

KatieOConnor said:
How long have you been speaking English? Did you go to school in the US?

I sucked at verbal but managed to improve a lot by doing practice tests.

Did you take a review course?

I'd suggest that you read a lot of non-fiction, do a ton of practice tests, and perhaps take a review course.

I improved my verbal score by reading lots of non-fiction. Of course, I have a leg up because I speak English as a first language, but I think anyone can improve. Aim for at least a 7 in Verbal, this could probably get you into a DO school and it is not unrealistic. Also try to improve the B and P scores. If your GPA is 3.6, you obviously aren't stupid so you can probably improve, but no GPA is high enough to overcome an MCAT score of 18. (Sounds harsh, but I think it's true!)
Katie O'Conner, that's a cool name.

I think at OSU-COM the average last year was a 9 MCAT. I have no idea what the GPA was.
Good luck to you.