High GPA, low DAT BIO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgundy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am a 4th year history major at a Canadian university. I wasn't planning on applying to dental schools in this cycle, but in September I went through with it and sent everything in. I just took my DAT last week and I was totally hammered in the BIO section. I don't receive my results until December, but there is no question that the score will be at or below 18. I did prepare for the Biology portion using the Barron's book, but there were hardly any questions that dealt with that material. It has just been a couple years and, because of my late decision, I did not have a lot of time to prepare. The irony of the situation is that my science prerequisite QGPA (A+ = 4.30) is 4.24 and my regular Science GPA is 4.00. On top of this, my cumulative GPA is 3.96. I fully expect to be in the 20s on my PAT and reading sections. My CHEM should also be fine. Are there any schools that will look past my low BIO DAT mark and see the potential I have as demonstrated by my grades? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The next Canadian DAT offering is not until February, so I will not be considering a rewrite for this cycle. It is a shame that the Canadian DAT is only offered twice a year and both offerings fall during midterm week.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

The DAT's is the great equilizer. You can have a 3.5+ GPA in the sciences, but if you didn't learn or wasn't taught the proper information for the DAT's, your scores will reflect that. And unfortunately, I do think that schools look at the disparity between grades and scores. I don't want to discourage you in your dreams to enter the dental profession, but your low Bio scores mixed with the lateness of your application definitely hurts your chances... albeit, not impossible (I applied VERY late in the cycle and was still accepted). Good luck in your cycle this time, but if the worst happens and you're not accepted, focus on your weak areas, buy DAT preparation books and take prep courses if you think you need to. But don't give up, your GPA is stellar, you just have to have the DAT scores to correlate with them.

I'm convinced the DAT is far more important than GPA. Too many schools have ridiculously inflated grades, and there's no real way to tell if someone's legit just based on that. Just do a little prep, snag a good score, and with your baller GPA you'll have no trouble at all. It's no big deal if you have to take some time either...life's too long to settle for something that's not what you wanted.

Totally agree with you Lebowski,
What's another year in the grand scheme of things. When you consider that I am a history major and the PhD takes about seven years after your BA, it is definitely worth it to hold on another year for dentistry. Plus, there is actually demand for dentists. Thanks for your advice. I will definitely take a month or so next May to prepare for the US DAT. I will be able to focus on it a lot better when I am out of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi dgundy if you did bad on your Bio section i stringly suggest you get the DAT destroyer. The people that have used it have shown some strong results in the science areas as well as others.

Hi dgundy if you did bad on your Bio section i stringly suggest you get the DAT destroyer. The people that have used it have shown some strong results in the science areas as well as others.

Hope you're getting paid for your "testimonial." I love how people with <20 posts always highly recommend destroyer. :rolleyes:

haha rose, i didnt know u needed more than 20 posts to write up the truth, next time ill lie and say kaplan will help until i go over 20 that is

haha rose, i didnt know u needed more than 20 posts to write up the truth, next time ill lie and say kaplan will help until i go over 20 that is

no but it's not coincidence that new members are always introducing/supporting destroyer...I got over a 25 on my sciences and didn't need a page of destroyer (overrated and too stressful) save your money...kaplan isn't enough OBVIOUSLY we have all figured it out but almost all of us have spent approximately $3000 on those lovely textbooks that were never opened in undergrad and were too lazy to sell back for 10% of the original price, those help more than any other study tool I have ever bought (including topscore, achiever and kaplan) if you don't want to plow through thousands of pages of material try the condensed schaums version which are quarter of the price and alot more helpful...

take the destroyer propaganda somewhere else

No offense Nilam, I had never said the Destroyer was the ONLY source needed to get a better score in bio, i had simply suggested the book because i am using it and i noticed on a number of posts that the destroyer was used by people that had scored well in the science area. Although i do not post up many posts, that does not mean i am not quietly viewing posts in the numerous threads of this DAT forum. It is true College books do help, but a lot of people dont have time to look through or study entire text books for the exam. Im glad you did well on your section, but the i simply gave her advice, just like you may to other people.