High GPA low OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katmalon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
So I took my OAT yesterday after a long time studying. I really felt prepared but after taking the exam I was bummed. I have a 3.6 GPA but was only able to pull of a 310 AA when I was shooting for 320s in every section. Do you think that a high GPA is able to counterbalance a low GPA?

Thanks so much for any feedback! I really appreciate it! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who got into Indiana with a high gpa & low oat. She didn't tell me her exact scores, but the oat was very unrepresentative of her knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll get in. I have a friend at PCO with those stats. Maybe not top tier like UCB or SUNY but you'll def get in.

You'll get in. I have a friend at PCO with those stats. Maybe not top tier like UCB or SUNY but you'll def get in.

Lets stop beating this dead horse.

There are no official rankings of schools & colleges of optometry. There are many opinions out there regarding this topic and it is best to not imply that a "tier" system exists.

Also realize that some schools emphasize research, some emphasize primary care, some emphasize ocular disease, etc.

The only thing we can really say for sure is that the three schools that just opened in 2010 and the proposed schools that are yet to open have not yet been proven via receiving accreditation or posting adequate NBEO pass rates.

According to ASCO:

"ASCO advises students against relying on any rankings of the schools in making their decisions. There are numerous factors that enter into a successful match between a student and an optometry school: the size of the school, its location and reduced costs of some schools based on contracts with certain states. ASCO recommends that applicants review the merits of the school(s) or college(s) they might wish to attend and determine which institution will best meet their individual needs. ASCO strongly advises students, if possible, to visit schools in which they have a particular interest."