high hopes to become a anesthesiologist(pre-med) any tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emperor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a pre-med student and I'm looking for advice to becoming a successful anesthesiologist. Thanx! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

It's great that you're thinking long-term already. It does help to have some ideas about your career while still in pre-med studies. First focus on getting into med school though. This isn't that easy, or at least it wasn't when I applied. Then do well in med school, and you apply for residency. Biggest tip is to enjoy undergrad, and get in to med school. Then go from there.

And once you do get into med school, during the preclinical years make sure you focus on physiology and pharmacology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anesthesiology is great, but I heard that over 80% of students change their mind about what they want to go into during medical school. Either way, there's so much variety in med school you can easily find something you love. Good luck!

gaslord said:
Anesthesiology is great, but I heard that over 80% of students change their mind about what they want to go into during medical school.

Don't know about that quoted percentage (after all 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;) ), but I agree with the sentiment. What you want now and what you want when you get to medical school may change drastically.

But...

If you get into medical school, do well, and stay focused on the prize, you should be able to get an anesthesiology residency. As others have said, get into medical school first and foremost - this is the only thing you should be focusing on right now. Then, see what happens after you start. Do a lot of anesthesiology rotations and see if you really like it. If so, then more power to you. Gas is a great field... I'm starting my career (well, with an internship year first, of course) very soon myself. So, I have to say to you, even as a pre-med, great choice! :)

-Skip

EDIT: Whoops! I just noticed you were banned after making this post. :eek: Dude, I hope you were joking. If not and you are truly as disturbed as you painted yourself to be in that post, I don't think Gas (or medicine, for that matter) is the right field for you. You appear to still have a lot of growing up to do, and perhaps even some serious therapy...

Skip Intro said:
EDIT: Whoops! I just noticed you were banned after making this post. :eek: Dude, I hope you were joking. If not and you are truly as disturbed as you painted yourself to be in that post, I don't think Gas (or medicine, for that matter) is the right field for you. You appear to still have a lot of growing up to do, and perhaps even some serious therapy...

"bl0w j08s for food?"... lol... a truly banworthy post.

Celiac Plexus said:
"bl0w j08s for food?"... lol... a truly banworthy post.

Actually, I think suggesting the "offing", in whichever way it is suggested, of someone who disagrees with you is more banworthy. Then again, there truly are a lot of losers who post on this forum... should I begin to name names? May take me a while. :laugh:

-Skip

Oh my God! I can't believe I just read that. You definitely have some growing up to do.