High index

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Negative 11 prescription hi index lenses. Which is better including cost consideration?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a person with a -11 prescription, is there a hige difference in buying 1.74 hi index lenses to justify the cost above the 1.67? It will be the smallest frame 40 mm or so, not rimless, etc.
Thanks for any info. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

1.74 is .07 better than 1.67.

But seriously, there will be a noticeable difference, especially if it's more of a rectangle-shaped lens.
If round, or a perfect oval, you may not notice it as much.
Higher index does sacrifice the optical quality, especially in the periphery, which some people can be sensitive too.

The key is an accurate monocular pd, and measured optical center.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Oval shaped.
With an oval frame, you'll notice that its thinner by comparing the edge, but only slightly.
IMO, choose 1.74 only if < $50-75 difference in price with an oval frame.
1.74 has about the same Abbe value: chromatic distortion in the peripheral lens.
(if you look way to the edge of lens, you'll see some distortion/color fringes, but worth the trade for thinning the lens)

Insist on having the Optical Center measured (you want the skinniest point of the lens exactly at the center of your pupil)

1.74 digital aspheric with quality AR

You guys were right. Sams club has 1.7 seiko for 200. The 1.6 is 180. I got the 1.7 with ar in it..Thanks!

non-digital, non-aspheric will have more distortion

Not sure what those words are or if they apply to the lenses I purchased. I will get the glasses after the 18th so I will post then

They are having difficulty making the lenses and had to reorder them, Seiko brand. What brand of 1.74 is aspheric and digital?
Thank you for your help

I got my glasses today. They are very nice, thinner than my 1.67. My eyes dont look as small, less distorted.

Thank you all!