High match rate in latest charting outcomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DR remains with one of the highest match rates in in latest 2020 data, and IR's competitiveness has decreased quite a bit since it was a 60% match a few years ago. I heard some rumblings about increased competition a year ago but it apparently hasn't happened. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
DR remains with one of the highest match rates in in latest 2020 data, and IR's competitiveness has decreased quite a bit since it was a 60% match a few years ago. I heard some rumblings about increased competition a year ago but it apparently hasn't happened. Thoughts?
DR match rate optimism appears to be anchored by a two tier program grouping. Most people would have no trouble matching to the many community programs so it hides the competitiveness of the stronger programs.

Does it matter? Who knows. I know I wouldn't mind being at many of the community programs personally.

Reactions: 7 users
I was happy to see how nice the DR #'s were. I know a lot of my classmates simply just can't see themselves not "being the doctor" and don't consider DR at all.

I agree that the top DR programs are probably very competitive. But there are many more spots in DR than in other specialties so everyone seems to land somewhere. I think I would also enjoy a solid community program- especially if there is a tight knit group of residents and moonlighting available xD

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During 2016-2017, captured in the 2018 charting outcomes, you likely had more DR candidates throwing in apps to IR because it’s new and why not. But those applicants likely ranked at lot of top DR places first, lowering the perceived IR match rate. Then it was seen as super competitive with a low match rate because people were matching at preferred DR places.

The past few cycles I think some IR applicants ranked top DR places above some IR which skews the data, but I bet this year you also had more IR applicants rank all IR then DR due to the competitiveness and wanting to secure an IR spot. This probably increased the match rate from years prior.

The IR match rate went up this cycle, but so did the average Step 1 score of matched applicants (247). I'm not sure you can equate competitiveness to match rate. Similarly, DR remains a competitive specialty despite having a 95% match rate.

The IR match rate went up this cycle, but so did the average Step 1 score of matched applicants (247). I'm not sure you can equate competitiveness to match rate. Similarly, DR remains a competitive specialty despite having a 95% match rate.

I think perhaps students finally adapted to the competitiveness of IR by self-selecting. Fewer unqualified students applied so the match rate increased despite the average scores of the candidate increasing.

DR seems to be where every speciality should aim to be in my opinion. High match rate but also high average scores. Essentially it says if youre a pretty good student who shows interest in the field you've got a good shot at it.

I know several people who were aiming IR eventually, but ranked a DR program at the top, because it was a top-ranking name that they knew would get them where they wanted eventually either way. I myself tend to click with the procedural bois personality-wise but will be applying DR-only because I'd rather have the flexibility and take an extra year or two if I decide IR is really what I want. The position I definitely want to avoid is being locked into categorical IR training and then later deciding I'd prefer the DR lifestyle. I think that hesitancy/flexibility of DR-->ESIR/Fellowship is bringing IR down a little in competitiveness.

As far as competitiveness for DR, the big name programs in desirable places are still pulling 250+ step averages and keeping pace with surgical fields, but there are hundreds more spots than US MD applicants for the DR field as a whole. So yeah exactly like Neo is talking about, I think it's multi-tiered where matching categorical IR or a competitive DR program remains tough, but with a huge safety net in both cases, in the form of solid smaller university or community programs that will always want to snatch up the relatively scarce supply of US MDs.

It also makes the USMLE distribution very interesting. For 2020, the same as prior charting outcomes, the most common USMLE score for US MD applicants is 250+, despite a complete lack of competitive pressure to elevate it there. The only other field showing this pattern (near-100% match rate yet a mode of 250+) is our fellow nerds over in Internal Medicine!

Reactions: 3 users
It is kind of mind blowing that matching in radiology is "relatively easy" say compared to derm.
I mean when you do the research, I think the specialty is not bad, you can have a decent lifestyle, a good salary. The job market has know some great years. Was doing great pre-covid, will likely do great post-covid.
I would really thing more people would apply to it...

Reactions: 1 users
It is kind of mind blowing that matching in radiology is "relatively easy" say compared to derm.
I mean when you do the research, I think the specialty is not bad, you can have a decent lifestyle, a good salary. The job market has know some great years. Was doing great pre-covid, will likely do great post-covid.
I would really thing more people would apply to it...
More people are applying to it! It's just that rads has 1000 spots and derm has less than half that.

Rads is a little unique in that it's so far away from what most people imagine when they go to medical school. It looks absolutely nothing like clinic or hospital medicine or surgery. Tons of people in engineering and compsci would probably choose it, if it was more visible as a career. Like if radiology had its own separate graduate school track (like dental) it would probably be the most competitive degree.

Reactions: 4 users