High School Classes and AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trajan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused about the AMCAS' twisted interest in high school classes. Thought I could finally forget about high school four years ago.... I understand why they want AP courses, especially if we used them for credit in college. However, these "other college-level courses" are odd. I took advanced math at my rural public high school. It was not AP calculus, I did not take an AP exam or any other standardized exam for that matter, I certainly received no college credit for it, but it was calculus. I attended a very rigorous college and began with calculus I, as my high school's course was not that good. Does that mean that I must list my high school calculus course on the AMCAS and then say that my A and B+ in Calculus I and II in college were retakes?

Also, I took an anatomy course in high school that used a college text, and we were given the option of taking a state college exam to earn college credit at the end of the year. I did not take the exam, as it was expensive and I knew that my chosen college would not accept transfer credits from that school. Do I need to include that course on my list?

Members don't see this ad.

It is my understanding that AMCAS wants "college level" work that can be documented by a college transcript. If there is no college (junior college or 4-year university), than I would not list the courses on AMCAS. The exception would be for AP courses, where you received college credit.

I took a sociology class at a Jr. College during my sophomore year of high school. I listed it and sent a transcript.