1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

High School Classes and AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Trajan, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Trajan

Trajan Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm very confused about the AMCAS' twisted interest in high school classes. Thought I could finally forget about high school four years ago.... I understand why they want AP courses, especially if we used them for credit in college. However, these "other college-level courses" are odd. I took advanced math at my rural public high school. It was not AP calculus, I did not take an AP exam or any other standardized exam for that matter, I certainly received no college credit for it, but it was calculus. I attended a very rigorous college and began with calculus I, as my high school's course was not that good. Does that mean that I must list my high school calculus course on the AMCAS and then say that my A and B+ in Calculus I and II in college were retakes?

Also, I took an anatomy course in high school that used a college text, and we were given the option of taking a state college exam to earn college credit at the end of the year. I did not take the exam, as it was expensive and I knew that my chosen college would not accept transfer credits from that school. Do I need to include that course on my list?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

It is my understanding that AMCAS wants "college level" work that can be documented by a college transcript. If there is no college (junior college or 4-year university), than I would not list the courses on AMCAS. The exception would be for AP courses, where you received college credit.

I took a sociology class at a Jr. College during my sophomore year of high school. I listed it and sent a transcript.