Oct 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
Ok so I'm in AP biology right now in high school and am struggling big time. Big time as in a 73 and it's not the lack of effort but more actually applying the material to the tests. Being brutally honest, is it time to look at a new field or will I be able to take basic biology and science classes and basically start new? Am I screwed or am I ok?

Reactions: zaneoyo

jbuc1081

NOT THE BEES!!!!!
Jun 27, 2014
Hattiesburg
Status
Medical Student
I was a music person in high school (still am) and my teachers would just pass me along because I was so successful as a musician. I know that doesn't speak highly of public education, but hey, it is what it is. Anyway, I was awful at almost all of my normal classes. Then, I went to college and did poorly for awhile, hit rock bottom, and then decided to really apply myself. Long story short, I graduated college with a 3.83 sGPA and am in the honors biology fraternity Beta Beta Beta. Even if you're struggling now, you have a ton of time to figure what it is you want to do and get serious about. Being bad at something in high school won't dictate how successful you'll be in the future, nor will being good at something suggest that's what you'll do in the future. Keep working hard and everything will work out in the end.

superpom_7

Casually waiting for January 29th..
Jun 29, 2014
'merica
Status
Pre-Veterinary
YOU'RE SCREWED, change your mind now.

I am totally kidding, don't worry. I have actually been reading a lot about people not doing so well in AP/Honors classes in HS but do just fine in college, so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. College of course is going to be harder regardless, but by then you may grasp it easier and think "oh yeah, I struggled with this in HS, I am going to work my butt off to understand it now". Don't get discouraged just by that one class. Unfortunately it is just going to get harder down the road, but you just have to work harder and study harder. You are going to have to take a lot worse than just basic biology. I don't mean worse as in ew that class is terrible, I mean as in difficulty. Physics, orgo, chem, bio, etc. things like that. Now granted, those classes may be a breeze for you in undergrad, and same for other people. So it'd be stupid of me to say that all of those course are super hard because what is hard to someone may be effortless for others. Some people grasp things, and others just can't -- no matter how hard they study or try.

What do you plan on majoring in?

Last edited:
OP
DocGrind24/7
Oct 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental, Pre-Medical
I'm planning on majoring in philosophy and minoring in bio which is my concern.. So hypothetically is there a class I can take that starts over completely with biology or are you pretty much expected to have a firm background in all classes you enroll in?

superpom_7

Jun 29, 2014
'merica
Status
Pre-Veterinary
To answer your first question, Introductory Biology/General Biology. I really wouldn't be scared away from minoring in it, though. Just work hard. But if you really feel that you will not do well, then maybe rethink minoring in it. Although, you'll need Bio for med school.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
High School means nothing. I failed algebra, got lots of Ds and Cs, and my guidance counselor even told me I should consider technical school or the military instead of college. I ignored her and went to state school. My first year of college was tough, I had C's and D's in my first semester, but I picked things up after that. I worked really hard for the rest of college and also had a great social and extracurricular life. Then I applied to med school and got into an ivy league (not that this really matters for med schools... a doctor is a doctor). Now I'm a 4th year with a fiancé and hopefully I'll be a general surgery resident soon. Good luck.

superpom_7

Jun 29, 2014
'merica
Status
Pre-Veterinary
High School means nothing. I failed algebra, got lots of Ds and Cs, and my guidance counselor even told me I should consider technical school or the military instead of college. I ignored her and went to state school. My first year of college was tough, I had C's and D's in my first semester, but I picked things up after that. I worked really hard for the rest of college and also had a great social and extracurricular life. Then I applied to med school and got into an ivy league (not that this really matters for med schools... a doctor is a doctor). Now I'm a 4th year with a fiancé and hopefully I'll be a general surgery resident soon. Good luck.
Wow, that's great! Good luck with that residency :luck:.

vanillawafer

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2014
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Good for you! This is truly inspirational. I love hearing these stories of success, they motivate me greatly...

Oct 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah homie just chill I failed 6 classes in high school and napped through literally everything. college is 100000x better because you don't have to wake up at 530 AM five times a week, or have 8 different classes (most of which you don;t care about), or have to worry about sports or who youre taking to homecoming! I graduated high school with a 2.7 GPA and now I'm over halfway through my prereqs with a 3.9! If I can do it literally ANYONE can!

Fedekz

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You won't know for sure until you step foot into bio 101, but I'd take your grades with a grain of salt as an indicator for success in college. I didn't do very well in high school, but am a senior in college now with a 3.9 cGPA, and a 4.0 sGPA.

Pierre Escargot

2+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. I think you should look at it as a positive by thinking of AP Bio as a taste of your undergraduate studies before you even enter college. Even if it's going a bit rough, I'm certain you'll be able to pick it up as this year progresses, and by the time you begin college, you'll have a good idea of the kinds of study techniques, etc. that will work for you. In that sense, I believe that AP Bio could be very beneficial to you.

Additionally, as other posters have shown, high school performance really isn't much of an indicator of college performance. You'll be perfectly fine. Best of luck.

EvenStevens

Renaissance Man
5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
High school is a joke, apply yourself in undergrad and reap the benefits.
My friend failed ap chem and aced Gen chem I and II as well as Orgo I and II

But if you don't enjoy bio don't minor in it. Just take the required courses and get out

SweetBurger

cowbell
5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2013
Cant know this AND MY MOMENTUM
Status
Pre-Medical
High school is a joke, apply yourself in undergrad and reap the benefits.
My friend failed ap chem and aced Gen chem I and II as well as Orgo I and II

But if you don't enjoy bio don't minor in it. Just take the required courses and get out
I somewhat agree that highschool is a joke my AP chem class isnt even teaching subjects that are on the AP exam I will mostly likely get stuck self studying most of the topics that my class has just seemed to skip. Anyways was looking at the ACS standard exam for general chemistry and it looked far easier than anything from AP.
Also rito please nerf gnar my renekton does not stand a chance.