High School Dual Credit Classes

pdphu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in High School and took AP Chemistry as a Sophomore. I know it's VERY early to worry about, but I'm curious on whether my B and B- in Chemistry (College Credit) will adversely affect me as a pre-med student?

Members don't see this ad.

The majority of medical schools do not accept AP classes as a pre req. Meaning you will have to take chemistry at a 4 year university.

Additionally, you do not receive AP college credit unless you receive a 3 or above on the AP exam (administered in May if I remember). Some colleges are even pickier and require a 4/5. But in any case the grade from this course wouldn’t transfer and as I said before you’d have to retake the class of med school is the goal.

So if I were you, I’d not worry and just try to learn/retain as much material as I can.

The majority of medical schools do not accept AP classes as a pre req. Meaning you will have to take chemistry at a 4 year university.

Additionally, you do not receive AP college credit unless you receive a 3 or above on the AP exam (administered in May if I remember). Some colleges are even pickier and require a 4/5. But in any case the grade from this course wouldn’t transfer and as I said before you’d have to retake the class of med school is the goal.

So if I were you, I’d not worry and just try to learn/retain as much material as I can.
Sorry, what I meant is I got college credit from Comm. College for the course and it will transfer to my undergrad college (GPA included) if I go to my state school. (We have CC transcripts that follow us)

You'll have to include the grades when you send your transcript, so they will effect your GPA.

It's not like 2 Bs are a death sentence for medical school though, so you'll be fine. Just keep working and keep your grades up through college.