High school extracurricular for Medical School

davidbm95

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hy I am a senior in high school starting next semester. I have volunteered extensively so far with almost 700 hours and 200 hours of shadowing at 3 different hospitals. one hospital in particular I wish to stay at until my application to medical school. What I want to know is if my community service hours and shadowing hours now will be eligible on my application to medical school. Anyone please feel free to respond.

Members don't see this ad.

High school stuff can't be put on a med school application. If you do hours the summer after you graduate high school then you can put these on your med school application

Members don't see this ad :)
Hy I am a senior in high school starting next semester. I have volunteered extensively so far with almost 700 hours and 200 hours of shadowing at 3 different hospitals. one hospital in particular I wish to stay at until my application to medical school. What I want to know is if my community service hours and shadowing hours now will be eligible on my application to medical school. Anyone please feel free to respond.

So long as you continue the activity with increasing participation/role at the hospital during college you can indicate that you started it in high school.

While we are on this topic... so if I state I have volunteered at the same hospital with increasing responsibilities for 7 years, does that look good from the eyes of an adcom?

Yes, it will look good to an adcom. Make sure to continue participation though because stopping after high school then putting it on your med application doesn't look very good.