High school grades versus college grades

FutureDDS98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a high school senior and I am going to do pre-dental in college next year (contrary to my username). In my classes for the past 3 years, my grades have never been below a 90%.

My teachers always say that college is a completely different environment/experience and you could do really well in high school but not in college.

What is your take/experience on this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am a high school senior and I am going to do pre-dental in college next year (contrary to my username). In my classes for the past 3 years, my grades have never been below a 90%.

My teachers always say that college is a completely different environment/experience and you could do really well in high school but not in college.

College is a completely different experience for most people. Huge classes, exams deciding all or the vast majority of your grade, no more points for showing up or good effort (at least, not in sciences/prereqs). The #1 problem for most freshman that struggle is procrastination - when you no longer have homeworks or quizzes and instead are expected to have a third or half of the material mastered for the midterm, a lot of people blow off preparing until they near the exam and by then it's too late.

Do you know where you'll be heading for college? What you can expect varies a lot by where you go, like liberal arts college vs large university, top private school vs your cheap public option, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
College is a completely different experience for most people. Huge classes, exams deciding all or the vast majority of your grade, no more points for showing up or good effort (at least, not in sciences/prereqs).

Do you know where you'll be heading for college? What you can expect varies a lot by where you go, like liberal arts college vs large university, top private school vs your cheap public option, etc.

I'm am going to Hunter. I gave in the deposit. The cheap price makes it more sensible than the privates I was accepted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm am going to Hunter. I gave in the deposit. The cheap price makes it more sensible than the privates I was accepted to.

Smart move. Stay on top of your work and you should be fine.

Usually I would say that there is quite a difference between high school and college courses. Especially if one chooses to go from a very solid high school to an ivy/ivy-like university, but you chose a solid school with your decision. Just make sure you develop good study habits from the get go because that's the stuff that kills a lot of freshman GPAs. Don't be afraid to use your institute's learning center and go to office hrs.

Last edited:

to me college is better, high school was annoying, in college you're the boss, just study and pay attention.

My GPA was better in college but I also worked harder!

For me, college is where I really learned how to learn. I began to understand my learning style and efficient study methods. If you are already employing this in college, then you're off to a good start. You might come to college and realize that high school was tremendously easier. If this is the case, you'll have a steep learning curve.

My best advice is to form productive study groups with your peers, attend Office hours & tutoring, and stay on top of your material.

I personally I felt college classes were easier and I had more motivation to perform well in them because I had more academic freedom to pursue topics that really interested me and there were resources to explore the topics in depth. I am more of an independent learner anyway, so college was much better for me because I could skip lecture and just read the book and do sample problems. I learn much better when I take the time to go through the book at my own pace and do sample problems to reinforce what I read. High school was terrible in my opinion because information was often only delivered in a lecture style format. At least at my college, classes are much more independent and discussion based, which has worked really well for me. Also, in my experience, college professors want to teach topics that are interesting to the students, so if there something that you want to know more about or a topic that isn't in the syllabus, they normally will add it if you ask. That being said I got a 4.0 in both college and high school; I just felt that college made it much easier to engage with the material.

Last edited:
First of all, good choice with Hunter. City, Hunter, Queens, and Brooklyn are all very good schools with an excellent price tag. I used to go to high school around the area, but moved out of state for college. In hindsight, I should have stayed at the CUNY system. The few friends I know that went there are doing well at SUNY Downstate Medical school, NYU Dental, and Stony Brook dental. Secondly, being self-driven is key. If you possessed this quality in high school, you will be fine in college. I was not self-driven at first, so the transition was a little rough. Having a semester's worth of B- was enough to get me back on the horse.

Thanks you all for your insightful replies, I really appreciate that!