High School Junior

Dontae92

Senior In AIMS 2010!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on becoming an anesthesiologist. This upcoming year my possible sciences are AP Chem, AP Bio, Physics, and Anatomy. What class would be more useful in terms preparing me for a pre-med major in college? :confused:

I also got A's in both my chem class( sophomore both sems)&
A's in bio 1-2 (freshman both sems)

Any help would be appreciated as my registration date comes closer august 19.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm planning on becoming an anesthesiologist. This upcoming year my possible sciences are AP Chem, AP Bio, Physics, and Anatomy. What class would be more useful in terms preparing me for a pre-med major in college? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated as my registration date comes closer august 14.

there's a whole separate forum for premeds and apparently a new one for high school students that will be way more helpful. this probably isn't the best place to get advice at this stage in the game.

ok thanks for the info ill look for it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any help would be appreciated as my registration date comes closer august 14.

I took AP bio junior year and AP psych, spanish and calc my senior year. Most people tend to take Bio, Chem, Calc, and Physics. These are usually the prereqs for most of the courses for science majors, so it lets you get into your major sooner. However, they are three of the four classes you need to prepare for the MCAT, so a lot of people choose to take it at university so it's fresh in their minds when it comes to taking the MCAT.

I would also recommend taking some history or english APs. These tend to be easier to score well on in high school but harder in college. Since most schools require you to take them as general education requirements, I would just get them out of the way. Check with some of the schools you're interested in attending, though. My AP Bio score definitely didn't count for much at Emory my first year. They made everyone take their Gen. Bio courses regardless of how they scored.

You're looking great for college.... but seriously take classes that interest you and have some fun. I have block scheduling at my high school so I go crazy about fitting everything in and not having enough fun and relax time. So take APs... any APs that interest you but also take other courses that interest you... I really like politics so last year I took AP gov and comp. the year before that I took us law and this year I'm taking global issues... Last year I had one semester where I scheduled myself all science classes and my guidance office freaked out on me saying it was too hard, not well balanced, and that nobody had ever done that. haha. Honestly, it wasn't really balanced but earth science = <3 Geology is amazing. So I guess my advice is just explore your classes and see what it has to offer. I loved geology so much I almost gave up vet med... but I don't love it thattt much haha. At least if you take all sorts of classes that interest you... maybe you'll find a better answer to "why an anesthesiologist"... I know taking other courses has made me think... there are a lot of other things out there... but this is the only thing I know I will be this passionate about... and of course some politics but hey who isn't? haha. Good luck.

I think im going to have to leave the medically related program that im in to take ap english and hist.. The only reason i dont wanna leave the program is bcuz during senior year well be workin in the hospitals around our school. But i think it'll be holding me back because we have pre arranged english and hist classes. and i know colleges likes to see ap classes. but i'll see what i can do

Last edited:
I think im going to have to leave the medically related program that im in to take ap english and hist.. The only reason i dont wanna leave the program is bcuz during senior year well be workin in the hospitals around our school. But i think it'll be holding me back because we have pre arranged english and hist classes. and i know colleges likes to see ap classes. but i'll see what i can do

Do not worry about the hospital thing just yet. When applying to medical schools in college they are not going to care about what you did in High School. Taking AP english is a very good suggestion, and I would take AP Bio and Chem but I wouldn't take the tests. I did this, and if I could do it all over again I would not have submitted my AP Bio/Chem scores. If you do well in the AP courses, the intro classes will be a walk in the park, and a couple easy As to boost your science GPA.

Unless you're planning on applying to one of the guaranteed admittance programs do not worry about medical school just yet. Get into the best undergrad you can and go from there. Just keep in mind that I would NOT recommend submitting AP scores for the pre-reqs (chem, physics, bio). Waiting a year to dive into your major will not kill you, and the pre-reqs were there before the advent of the AP system so people completed their majors just fine w/o it!

I would take AP Bio and Chem but I wouldn't take the tests. I did this, and if I could do it all over again I would not have submitted my AP Bio/Chem scores.

Why is submitting AP scores a bad idea? :confused:

I'm taking all AP classes this year (yes, I know!!...but good practice, hey? :p) and don't really understand what's wrong with submitting my scores. I feel like I deserve a LITTLE credit for the work. :D

Dontae, I'd definitely take English AP, since I'm assuming writing is going to be a huge deal in college. And it's an easy A anyway. And is it possible to find another way to volunteer in the hospital, instead of doing it through your school?

I'm taking all AP classes this year (yes, I know!!...but good practice, hey? :p) and don't really understand what's wrong with submitting my scores. I feel like I deserve a LITTLE credit for the work. :D

Dontae, I'd definitely take English AP, since I'm assuming writing is going to be a huge deal in college. And it's an easy A anyway. And is it possible to find another way to volunteer in the hospital, instead of doing it through your school?

I have no idea why it is a bad idea to submit AP scores. That doesn't really make much sense.

I took well over half of the exams that they offered, because I did not have to pay for it and because my high school classes were REALLY boring. I passed roughly half of the exams I took. There were absolutely no ramifications later on for the exams I didn't pass.

I don't know if I'm going to sumbit my AP scores or not either... what they said means is that taking the courses in college should be easier so it will boost your grade and help you form a sort of "cushion" kind of. I don't think its a bad thing or a good thing. We had a bunch of college kids come in that had taken the courses a few years back. Some wished they wouldn't have sent them. Some were happy. The ones who didn't made transitioning a little easier.

thanks for the thoughts. i'll figure out what im gonna do this tuesday.at registration i'll talk to my counselor.

Per| Class
0 | English 5-6
1| US History
2| Intermediate Algebra
3| Sem 1&2 Intro to Medical Occupations
4| Spanish 5-6
5| Physics 1-2
6| Drawing and Painting 1-2