High School Physics

Dr.J.D

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm doing pretty well in my senior year, taking 3 AP's but I'm struggling in honors physics. My teacher is honestly horrible, and keeps telling the class how easy physics is and says 2-3 times a day that " it isnt rocket science or brain surgery." I'm not going to blame it completely on him but I've had instances where just learning from a different person utterly reconstructs my whole mindset on a class. My GPA other than physics will be really good- near hundred, and my physics will just bring it down. So im wondering whether or not to drop this class and take another class in its place, so I can actually learn something. Will this hurt me down the road in pre med?

Members don't see this ad.

Only way it can hurt you is if it stops you from getting into a very very good 4 year university. Med schools do not look at high school transcripts. AP credits are only accepted by colleges if it meets their criteria (e.g. some schools only accept 4+ for AP exams). A school might give you credit for a 3, but the actual AP exam score won't be on your transcript. College classes are the only thing that matters.

If you are struggling with physics, I suggest khan academy physics - they do a wonderful job at explaining things.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as the class isn't a college class (meaning it will show up on your college transcript, e.g. dual enrollment) you're free to do whatever will make your life the easiest. HS classes have exactly 0 impact on your pre-med career other than what college you get into or scholarships you get. I failed many classes in HS. You get to throw all of this out the window after you get into college, a blank slate. I suggest just try to enjoy your senior year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the class isn't a college class (meaning it will show up on your college transcript, e.g. dual enrollment) you're free to do whatever will make your life the easiest. HS classes have exactly 0 impact on your pre-med career other than what college you get into or scholarships you get. I failed many classes in HS. You get to through all of this out the window after you get into college, a blank slate. I suggest just try to enjoy your senior year.
Thanks!

Hi guys, I'm doing pretty well in my senior year, taking 3 AP's but I'm struggling in honors physics. My teacher is honestly horrible, and keeps telling the class how easy physics is and says 2-3 times a day that " it isnt rocket science or brain surgery." I'm not going to blame it completely on him but I've had instances where just learning from a different person utterly reconstructs my whole mindset on a class. My GPA other than physics will be really good- near hundred, and my physics will just bring it down. So im wondering whether or not to drop this class and take another class in its place, so I can actually learn something. Will this hurt me down the road in pre med?

I recommend continuing to take it as you will benefit in the long term. You want the opportunity to develop the study skills to be successful even in classes in the teacher is "horrible". You will need to put in more effort than you would do otherwise.

I'd say it depends on where you want to go to college Do they have a expect you to have bio, chem and physics? Have you had a lower level physics class? I HATED hs AP physics but stuck it out and did horrible on the AP test. I learned nothing but somehow got an A in the class. My college required we take the sciences at the school so the AP class didn't matter. So it depends. Once you get into college you will have to take physics and some intro level teachers are awful!! I used videos and taught myself and now work for the physics dept as a TA assistant! You will have to learn it now or later

Reactions: 1 user