High School Senior with a few questions

drcoffeeturtle

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently a high school senior applying to colleges. I'm looking to major in Biochemistry and just wanted some advice on which of these colleges you'd consider has the best program that would prepare me for medical school. I'm currently considering:

University of Rhode Island
University of Kentucky
University of Nebraska
University of Alabama
University of South Carolina
Texas State University
Texas Tech University
Texas A&M University

Some of these offer scholarships for me however I am a bit scared because the requirement to maintaining the scholarship is having a 3.5 GPA (In most of them). Any advice regarding which school you'd recommend I go will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once more and sorry a bit for my ignorance regarding these topics,

DrCoffeeTurtle

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, currently a high school senior applying to colleges. I'm looking to major in Biochemistry and just wanted some advice on which of these colleges you'd consider has the best program that would prepare me for medical school. I'm currently considering:

University of Kentucky
University of Nebraska
University of Alabama
Texas State University
Texas Tech University
Texas A&M University

Some of these offer scholarships for me however I am a bit scared because the requirement to maintaining the scholarship is having a 3.5 GPA (In most of them). Any advice regarding which school you'd recommend I go will be greatly appreciated.

DrCoffeeTurtle
Which one is your state school?

Which one is your state school?
Rhode Island (Which for med schools might be hard since the only medical school here is Brown's Alpert), and the other states might end up being more affordable for my undergraduate degree due to scholarship offers...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your state institution is fine. The college you go to doesn't factor in your med school application unless it's an ivy league. Just do well in your major. There are many med schools in New England that have a strong regional bias if you choose stay in Rhode Island.

Reactions: 1 users
Rhode Island (Which for med schools might be hard since the only medical school here is Brown's Alpert), and the other states might end up being more affordable for my undergraduate degree due to scholarship offers...
End of discussion then go to your state school

What everyone is saying is that, with few exceptions (none of which are on your list), it really doesn't matter where you go to school or what you major in, so go wherever you'll be happiest at and do as well as you can!!!

Go to the school with the lowest tuition, be that because of in-state tuition or scholarship.

However, I also recommend you look into the biochem major requirements at each of these schools. Make sure you don't have to take calc 2 and calc-based physics (as opposed to trig-based) as a biochem major. These aren't necessary and are hard. Also, biochem 2 isn't necessary for med school and just an added stress.

Also know that if you have difficulty keeping a 3.5 GPA as a basic science major, you'll have a hard time being competitive for MD school with <3.5

Reactions: 1 user
You listed Nebraska-- have you considered Creighton? They have a med school and a biochem program. There are also other schools to choose from including nursing, dentistry, pharmacy, OT, PT, and PA should your interests change in college or if you do not remain competitive enough for medicine.

Reactions: 1 user

University of Kentucky
University of Nebraska
University of Alabama
Texas State University
Texas Tech University
Texas A&M University

DrCoffeeTurtle
The school's program doesnt really matter much. The most important thing is the extracurricular opportunities in the area and the difficulty (gotta keep that gpa up). Both those things are pretty tough to gage prior to attending but if you have the chance, try to speak with serious pre-meds currently attending the schools that interest you and ask them about those things.

I'm unfamiliar with texas rules on residency, but if attending one of the texas schools could get you in state status for med school apps then that's where you want to be. Look into it!