High school straight to optometry school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optician007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optometry without university level education. I am an optician straight out of college. What are my chances in America, canada and England???

I hear there are schools in England, any od's from England that can shed some light.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Not happening in the US or Canada. Optometry is a bachelor's degree in England but I don't know the process of getting accepted to one of those schools. And if you go to school there and want to come back here to practice, you're going to have to graduate from an American school and take boards here before you can practice.

To be accepted to a school here, you have to take the pre-reqs first and I think the schools that don't require a bachelor's do require at least 90 credit hours of university education. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think optometry is a 4 year Bachelor degree in the UK.

I think in the US you need an OD degree (so that means using the Bachelor degree to apply to optometry school), but if you want to practice in Canada, there's a short 2-month program that will allow you to fast-track into practice once you have your degree from the UK. You should be able to find more info about the program on the University of Waterloo website.