High school student considering ophthalmology...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye lovethe eye

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to finish my junior year in high school and I'm interested in going into the medical field, specifically eye care. I have wanted to be an optometrist since 6th grade but now I'm also considering ophthalmology. I know it's early to be thinking about that so much, but now I'm thinking about pre-optometry compared to pre-med. Does it matter where I go for pre-med? Does it matter if I were to go to a state school compared to a private one? I know quite a bit about going into optometry, but I know virtually nothing about ophthalmology. If anyone could give me any suggestions at all, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to finish my junior year in high school and I'm interested in going into the medical field, specifically eye care. I have wanted to be an optometrist since 6th grade but now I'm also considering ophthalmology. I know it's early to be thinking about that so much, but now I'm thinking about pre-optometry compared to pre-med. Does it matter where I go for pre-med? Does it matter if I were to go to a state school compared to a private one? I know quite a bit about going into optometry, but I know virtually nothing about ophthalmology. If anyone could give me any suggestions at all, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I can't give suggestions about going into ophthalmology per se, but let me make this suggestion as an OPTOMETRIST, and as someone who taught high school math and science for 3 years....

Don't put the cart before the horse. Right now, you should concentrate on doing as well as you can in high school so that you can be admitted to the college or university of YOUR CHOICE that will be the best fit FOR YOU.

Then, once you're there....start thinking about doing as well as you can in college so that you can get into the medical school (or optometry school if you come back to that) of YOUR CHOICE and that will be the best fit FOR YOU.

Then you can start worrying about ophthalmology. But remember....all rising up to a great place is by a winding stair. You may find that your path in life takes many different turns. Enjoy the experience of high school and college without so much burden on yourself. That doesn't mean you don't keep an eye on the future, but it means that you enjoy the journey as much as the destination, whatever that destination ultimately ends up being.

Thank you, KHE! I know that even thinking about optometry school or medical school is a long way away, but I was just wondering where I should start as a high school student. Does it matter where I go to undergraduate school? I know I've asked this about pre-optometry but I'm wondering if it's the same for pre-med? I apologize for this not exactly being about ophthalmology as I am only in high school, but I do have a deep interest in eye care and I'm wondering where to go from here. Obviously senior year will be about doing my best and getting into the college that I want to go to, but if anyone has any suggestions for how to select a pre-optometry/pre-medical school feel free to post or PM me. Anything of that sort would be much appreciated! :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
KHE is right.

do well in high school, rock your SAT's, and get into the best college you can. Have fun, shadow an Optometrist, shadow an Ophthalmologist, and take your time deciding. Then when the time comes, rock the MCAT or OAT, and get into the best med school/optometry school you can.

There's a high chance you'll change your mind along the way, but the best thing you can do now is study hard/have fun while you have the time!

Thank you, KHE! I know that even thinking about optometry school or medical school is a long way away, but I was just wondering where I should start as a high school student. Does it matter where I go to undergraduate school? I know I've asked this about pre-optometry but I'm wondering if it's the same for pre-med? I apologize for this not exactly being about ophthalmology as I am only in high school, but I do have a deep interest in eye care and I'm wondering where to go from here. Obviously senior year will be about doing my best and getting into the college that I want to go to, but if anyone has any suggestions for how to select a pre-optometry/pre-medical school feel free to post or PM me. Anything of that sort would be much appreciated! :) Thank you!

Undergraduate colleges matter somewhat, but the most important thing is to pick one that is a good fit FOR YOU. Sure...it's more impressive if you have a degree from Harvard than Southern Idaho State (my apologies to any SIS graduates out there) but it makes little sense to go to Harvard if you won't be able to handle the workload, or you don't like living in a large city and it causes your scores to suffer.

Don't get too hung up on picking a college to impress graduate/medical/optometry schools. Select a group of colleges that you know you will be happy attending and then consider the other factors because at the end of the day, it makes no difference if you go to Yale but perform poorly because Yale wasn't a good fit for you.