High School Student Struggling With Chemistry

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Geronimooo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This will be my first post in these forums so here goes.

I'm a high school sophomore in the chicago suburbs and recently I've really been struggling with my honors chemistry class and it's too late to drop it (I never had intentions of dropping it anyway). I'm at a 77% C in this class and I can't afford anymore Cs in high school because I had 2 last year which hurt my gpa and put it at a 3.8 weighted. Do any of you have advice on how to improve in this class and bring my grade up? Going to science review nights every wednsday isnt doing much for me. I really want to get into a solid university in the midwest and I feel like a 3rd C in high school would hurt my chances severely.The semester ends before christmas, I'd really appreciate any help.

-Geronimo
 
I can't really recommend you anything else except to review notes and redo problems. =/
To receive AP credit for Gchem, I used Princeton Review (didn't take the class because of a teacher).

If you have Skype, you could send me any questions or annoying problems.

A 77% is not that big of a deal - you have more than two months or so to bring it up.

Btw, I once wrote a report on and did a speech as Geronimo! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chem Honors? (Assuming because sophomore like me)
I currently have a 104% in chem and basically what i do is complete a bucket load of practice problems for the math for the free response and then read the book and notes for Multiple Choice. Its not very time consuming and i don't really spend much time on it. Its really a practice based subject like math. you get better based ont he time you put into it
 
Chem Honors? (Assuming because sophomore like me)
I currently have a 104% in chem and basically what i do is complete a bucket load of practice problems for the math for the free response and then read the book and notes for Multiple Choice. Its not very time consuming and i don't really spend much time on it. Its really a practice based subject like math. you get better based ont he time you put into it

This, exactly. For chemistry, practice makes perfect👍
 
I'm in AP Chemistry now, and practice is essential. Read, read, read, and practice, practice, and practice. Honors Chemistry isn't a tough class, but for some people, a good amount of work is required. I was in the same boat as you Sophomore year, my Honors Chemistry class was difficult, but it's doable. One thing I remember is Chem-Is-Try, get it? You have to try and work at it. Good luck, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.
 
This will be my first post in these forums so here goes.

I'm a high school sophomore in the chicago suburbs and recently I've really been struggling with my honors chemistry class and it's too late to drop it (I never had intentions of dropping it anyway). I'm at a 77% C in this class and I can't afford anymore Cs in high school because I had 2 last year which hurt my gpa and put it at a 3.8 weighted. Do any of you have advice on how to improve in this class and bring my grade up? Going to science review nights every wednsday isnt doing much for me. I really want to get into a solid university in the midwest and I feel like a 3rd C in high school would hurt my chances severely.The semester ends before christmas, I'd really appreciate any help.

-Geronimo

Try supplementing your chemistry with Barons chemistry book, if you can master the basics HS chem should be no problem


Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling