High School Student With Questions

Started by NCleland
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NCleland

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello to all!

I'm currently a High School Sophomore in Western Pennsylvania. These days it seems like you almost have to go to college, plus the fact that I'd like to. I was planning on going to college for Nursing (Emergency/Trauma) and then getting my MICN License and PHRN. My final goal is to somehow challenge ther Paramedic test after I graduate and apply to a Fire Department. Many career Fire Departments are looking highly upon Paramedics. I will most likely be taking my EMT before college anyways, but I was hoping after 4 years of Nursing school that I wouldn't have to take the entire Paramedic class. Can someone help me out? Be straight forward. Any suggestions, comments, or questions?

Take care and stay safe
 
NCleland said:
I'm currently a High School Sophomore in Western Pennsylvania. These days it seems like you almost have to go to college, plus the fact that I'd like to. I was planning on going to college for Nursing (Emergency/Trauma) and then getting my MICN License and PHRN. My final goal is to somehow challenge ther Paramedic test after I graduate and apply to a Fire Department. Many career Fire Departments are looking highly upon Paramedics. I will most likely be taking my EMT before college anyways, but I was hoping after 4 years of Nursing school that I wouldn't have to take the entire Paramedic class. Can someone help me out? Be straight forward. Any suggestions, comments, or questions?

Well - IMHO I think you should figure out what you really want to do. It sounds like your ultimate goal is work as a paramedic on a career fire department. If that is the case, I see no reason to pursue a 4 year nursing degree or even a 2 year nursing degree, for that matter. You will most likely make more money as an RN than you will as a career ff/paramedic and it will be a lot easier to find a job. Most people I know have are looking to go from fire dept/medic to nursing, not the other way around. Although there is good money to be had in some career depts, I think there is much more money to be had in nursing (especially with a BS).

Generally speaking (and if I'm wrong, somebody please correct me), most nursing grads have to do a certain length of time working med/surg, ICU, CCU, etc before they graduate to Emergency/Trauma. Very few of the hospitals that I have been in will hire a fresh graduate directly into the ED. I guess its entirely possible that there are BS nursing programs that allow you to specialize in certain areas, but again, I wouldn't waste my time on that if a fire department is your goal.

Now, on the other hand, if your goal is to be a nurse/medic on a critical care until or helicopter, then a 2 year nursing degree first might make more sense. There are nurse-paramedic transition programs and paramedic-nurse transition programs out there that allow you to gain certification in the second one in less time than the standard course. You can gain valuable nursing experience (and a much better paycheck) working full time and pursuing EMT-P then. (and there's also a good chance that your employer will pay for it)

If nursing is your goal, explore all options. With the nursing shortage, (and this is just my personal opinion) the way to go is get a 2 year AA in nursing degree, and then get a job as a nurse at a facility that wil pay for your college classes if you want to then get your BS or masters in nursing. Many, many hospitals have very generous tuition reimbursment or will pay for your classes outright.

Now - back to the ff/paramedic thing. Do some research on what the requirements are to get hired on different career departments. Career Deparments vary widely in how they do their hiring, even within the same state. There are still an awful lot of departments out there that do their hiring straight off of a civil service (no ff or medic experience required) test list and then provide ff/paramedic training to those eligible and hired. Other departments require that you have FF and/or paramedic certification in order to be eligible to take the test. Yet other career departments hire like a normal job based on resume, experience, interview and etc. Some have a "reserve", volunteer or part-time employee list and hire new full time employees almost exclusively off of those lists. In general though, getting on a full-time department is extremely competitive.

So - as you can see, it is a complicated question. I personally feel that people should have a minimum amount of experience as a basic EMT before becoming a paramedic. In fact, many paramedic programs require Basic certification and/or experience prior to entrance in their program. There is a growing trend toward making paramedic certification as part of an associate's degree, but there are still quite a few paramedic certification programs around (typically they run 9 months to a year). There are some colleges that offer Associates degrees in "Fire Science Technology" where you end up with a degree, professional firefighters certification, and paramedic certification. If a career department is your goal, this is probably the route to go. It will knock out all of your necessary certifications plus, if you want to pursue promotions, will help you there.

See if your guidance counselor can arrange for you to talk to some people in the areas you have mentioned about their jobs or arrange for you to do some shadowing. (Shadowing may be tough to do though with liability and Hippa concerns)

Good luck - I hope this helps.

Amy
 
I agree, nurses earn higher than paramedics. But if it is your dream to be a paramedic....go and achieve it! 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NCleland said:
Hello to all!

I'm currently a High School Sophomore in Western Pennsylvania. These days it seems like you almost have to go to college, plus the fact that I'd like to. I was planning on going to college for Nursing (Emergency/Trauma) and then getting my MICN License and PHRN. My final goal is to somehow challenge ther Paramedic test after I graduate and apply to a Fire Department. Many career Fire Departments are looking highly upon Paramedics. I will most likely be taking my EMT before college anyways, but I was hoping after 4 years of Nursing school that I wouldn't have to take the entire Paramedic class. Can someone help me out? Be straight forward. Any suggestions, comments, or questions?

Take care and stay safe

The ability to challenge the medic certification as an RN varies from state to state. You will obviously need to contact your states bureau of EMS/Dept of health to find out about your states rules. Your desire to have a college 4 year degree is a very good idea. Especially true if you want to have any sort of real advancement opportunity in the EMS profession, or any profession for that matter. An RN certification and a medic certification will make you especially marketable, if your degree is a bachelor degree, even more so. At such an early stage in your life try and keep your options open. I strongly reccomend you get a 4 year degree before embarking on your public service career. EMS burnout is a very real phenomenon, you can always switch to nursing, nursing administration, or go on to pursue nurse practitioner. Do the right thing now, and you'll be able to write your own ticket. Just a few thoughts from someone who's been out there.
 
why not just go to school for your EMT-P? it will take you a lot less time than doing a 4 yr BSN then the flight nurse certs, etc... If paramedicine is your goal just go that route from the start, then if you find that you want more options you can do a paramedic to RN bridge program. Good Luck, I would suggest looking at the job opportunities in the communities where you intend to live/work, and find out from the medics and nurses in those areas what they think.
 
NCleland said:
Hello to all!

I'm currently a High School Sophomore in Western Pennsylvania. These days it seems like you almost have to go to college, plus the fact that I'd like to. I was planning on going to college for Nursing (Emergency/Trauma) and then getting my MICN License and PHRN. My final goal is to somehow challenge ther Paramedic test after I graduate and apply to a Fire Department. Many career Fire Departments are looking highly upon Paramedics. I will most likely be taking my EMT before college anyways, but I was hoping after 4 years of Nursing school that I wouldn't have to take the entire Paramedic class. Can someone help me out? Be straight forward. Any suggestions, comments, or questions?

Take care and stay safe

1. Take the EMT-P first. You can do a Paramedic to RN bridge program in only one year. (This is if your intent is to work as a paramedic.) It is alot easier to go from paramedic to nurse than nurse to paramedic.

2. EMT-P's have worse hours and much lower pay than RN's. Consider working as a flight nurse/medic or working as a full-time nurse and part-time medic.

3. If nursing is your goal, then consider doing an entire BSN program, as it allows for better job selection/security. This is not needed if you just want to do prehospital care.
 
Hey,
I'm from Western PA as well...I stayed in the area and attend the University of Pittsburgh but still work as an EMT every weekend and still belong to my Fire Department. So If you happen to live in Westmoreland County I would be more than happy to talk to you about the specific opportunities there for EMS/Firefighting/Flight Nursing etc. etc. etc. because I was in your shoes once.

1.) If your career goal is professional firefighter then I would recommend going for the EMT-P and NOT the PHRN.

2.) Another thing, if you don't belong to one now, join a volunteer fire department near your house as soon as you can. Some departments accept members as young as 14 and almost all will accept as young as 16. Not only will this help you ensure that Firefighting really is the career you want, but it will expose you to the high-stress and very common aspects of the emergency services. It will allow you to gain valuble experience in the operations on scenes, use of radios, and will expose you to aspects of Emergency Medicine without putting too much responsibility on your shoulders at once. This way, once you get your EMT-B, if you decide you want to work somewhere, you will already be that far ahead of the game.

3.) If you decide that you want to make being a paramedic your career, I would recommend at least looking into the Emergency Medicine program at the University of Pittsburgh. It's a 4 year Bachelor's degree in Emergency Medicine. Not only will it give you your EMT-B, EMT-P, and CCEMT-P, along with a host of other valuble certifications (which are either required or recommended for employment as an EMT-P and all are required to work as a Flight medic), but you also receive management courses, accounting, EMS Operations, etc. type courses in case someday you decide that you might want to move up to management of an EMS service. It's an excellent program and if your serious about possibly working as a medic and want some great career opportunites (it's the only program to offer a Bachelor's in Emergency Medicine, in the nation) I'd look into it.

Hope this helped, and if you have any other questions or want to know specifically about the area PM me or something....Later.

P.S.- PA absolutly sucks for prehospital care providers (w/ the exception of maybe EMT-P), they don't offer EMT-I (yet) or any other mid-level practice levels, and alot of the skills that other states allow EMT-B's to perform aren't allowed to be done in PA. Just heads up....
 
As a Paramedic who worked during undergrad before going to medical school I agree with all of the above. AmyBEMT had great suggestions but I disagreed with one, about getting some experience as an EMT before going to Paramedic school. I went straight to Paramedic school after EMT school and didn't see a problem with that. Do what you need to do.

If you really want to be a FF/Paramedic and maybe a Flight Medic, I don't know why you'd want to go to Nursing school...and without a degree of some kind, the Paramedic to RN bridge I think is too complicated. I looked in to it before med school.

I would recommend considering taking the Critical Care Paramedic course. I took it back in 2000 and found it very educational and helpful. University of Maryland Baltimore County(UMBC) has an excellent curriculum and there are numerous places throughout the country to take their class. I took it at Loyola Univeristy in Chicago (Maywood, IL to be exact).

I applied for a job as a flight medic after I got my CCEMT-P certification, but fortunately got accepted to medical school so ended up turning down the interview/testing for the job. I liked the CCEMT-P Course though, it was definitely worth it.
 
University of Iowa also has an excellent critical care paramedic course.

later
 
12R34Y said:
University of Iowa also has an excellent critical care paramedic course.

later

As an option, UMBC ( the university of maryland baltimore county ) developed the CCEMT-P certification and is considered, at least on the east coast, to be one of the best collegiate EMS programs around. They offer a B.S. in emergency health services with two seperate tracks, paramedic (with a flight internship) and ehs management. Pitt, Western Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, Loma Linda, and a couple more schools offer similar programs. After completing such a degree, you will be an emt-p and have a marketable degree with all the prereqs for nursing, pa, or even med school if that appeals to you. If you don't wish to pursue further study, you could easily find a job as a career medic or in an entry level mangament position. ehs.umbc.edu is the website for UMBC, but if you goto the Jems website they have links to all of the similar programs...

-Matt
 
From the nursing standpoint, no company will hire you for mobile ICU or aero work until you have around 2 years working as a RN in the ICUs and EDs.
I can vouch for the CCEMT-P course, it is open to paramedics, nurses, and RTs for transport, there were only 2 RNs in my course and the rest were paramedics. Some medical colleges will offer this course if they want to. I took the UMBC through Medical College of Georgia and they volunteered to come to Atlanta and teach a class. CCEMT-P was the ticket for me to get into MICU transport.
If prehospital is your end goal, then go the paramedic route. The nursing education to prehospital is quite longer and more involved.
On the other hand (while some may not agree with this), there is the option of nurses going to Creighton University and EMT-B is a one week course and then can sit for their paramedic course (2 weeks). These courses are no laughting matter with plenty of prereqs and from what I hear, being at hospital ORs for 0600 intubations, class all day, then riding with fire rigs and ambulances until late evening.
Good luck, let us know what you choose.
 
Vince said:
AmyBEMT had great suggestions but I disagreed with one, about getting some experience as an EMT before going to Paramedic school. I went straight to Paramedic school after EMT school and didn't see a problem with that.

I make that statement based on my personal experience and the observations of some paramedic instructors/supervisors. It has been my experience from working with lots of different medics that medics who jumped right into the paramedic curriculum without any basic experience tend to be not as skilled at the Basic skills as those who have experience. These paramedics get so focused on "paramedic skills" that they often completely forget to do the simple, yet important basic skills. I think this does tend to level out after the medic gets some street experience.

Not trying to start a war here - I'm sure there are good new medics out there who went to medic school w/o basic experience. I'm also sure that there are really crappy medics out there who had tons of basic experience before medic school.

Remember the old adage - Paramedics save lives. Basics save paramedics.

😀

Amy