High School Subjects for Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroStudent

Future Neurosurgeon
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to know what high school subjects I should take to become a neurosurgeon. If you know, please reply. I really need help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

most ridiculous post ever

ok if you don't want to help then don't. but please don't go around and say posts are ridiculous. if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Health and PE

Pay extremely close attention to health class. Bio, chem, and physics too. The more you learn in there, the easier review for med school will be.

I was the top student in my health class, and the only one in that class to make it to med school.

Every math course possible, Every science course possible, health, and english

Judging from this board, 90% of students interested in neurosurgery are in highschool. At least we won't have to worry about a shortage any time around 2027....

WOW...i thnk you should consider one of them programs where u dont go to college at all. You go to med sch directly from high sch....gets you closer to ur dream faster.

there's this game on the nintendo Wii called trauma center. it should really help you with hand eye coordination skills. try playing with glasses and weights on your head to simulate wearing loupes and a headlight.

there's this game on the nintendo Wii called trauma center. it should really help you with hand eye coordination skills. try playing with glasses and weights on your head to simulate wearing loupes and a headlight.

1. When you go to class, eat meals, or go to the movies, whatever you do when you are awake, do it standing on your feet the whole freaking time.

2. To build up bladder endurance try to limit bathrooms trips to once a day. When you go on cross country road trips, keep the restroom breaks to every 3rd time you fill up the tank.

3. During the school year, get a job waitting tables during the late shift at a fancy restaurant, preferably those catering to the most demanding, narcissistic clientele AND then proceed to your other part time job working the grave yard shift at the 7 Eleven. Try make it to all your classes early or at least on time, everyday. Oh and make sure to keep up those grades up or you'll never get into a good college then your chances of medschool and neurosurgery will be ruined.

4. When reading the newspaper, focus on the articles that cover bad news, tragedies, natural disasters... scan the obituary section, especially those for kids and young adults, and try to adopt a positive attitude about it all.

5. Routinely do incredibly stupid things to royally piss off your dad (short of getting disowned) or the local law enforcement (short of getting arrested), so you can get used an authority figure constantly verbally abusing you and treating you like crap.

6. Definitely look at the fast track programs that rush you into medical school. That whole "life experience" thing and undergrad years for normal social and emotional development are soooooo... overrated.

high school...this forum is ridiculous.

do well, get into college, do well, get into med school, do well, get into neurosurgery

if you honestly think that anything in high school will prep you for neurosurgery, youve got a lot to learn. but a dumb high school kid rarely becomes a world class neurosurgeon, so get a good start.

Here are a few basic steps:

1. Study for the SAT. Run for president of the National Honor Society. Take AP classes.

2. Apply to college.

3. Take the standard premed classes. Volunteer at a hospital. Apply to various summer research programs.

4. (*Important*) Watch a neurosurgen operate. Or any surgeon for that matter.

Did you vomit?

Yes-change major

No-continue to step 5

5. Study for and take MCAT.

6. Get LORs and apply to medical school.

7. Assuming you are accepted, bust butt first 2 years.

8. Beat the crap out of the Step I.

9. Try taking a year off to do research.

10. Become bff with everyone in your school's department of neurosurgery

11. Pwn in your clinical rotations

12. Externship

13. K.O. the Step II

14. LORs

15. You are now ready to apply to a neurosurgery program.

Right now, you're at step #1. Take it easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 - Take a really big crap on the ground
Step 2 - Roll around in it for a year

Congratulations! You just simulated intern year! Now only six more years to go. . . .

Pay extremely close attention to health class. Bio, chem, and physics too. The more you learn in there, the easier review for med school will be.

I was the top student in my health class, and the only one in that class to make it to med school.

wow..did u go to medical school from high school! u must be a genius!

Best Post Ever! ROFL :laugh:

Step 1 - Take a really big crap on the ground
Step 2 - Roll around in it for a year

Congratulations! You just simulated intern year! Now only six more years to go. . . .

This is a close Second, but I generally already love reading Tired's posts.

2. To build up bladder endurance try to limit bathrooms trips to once a day. When you go on cross country road trips, keep the restroom breaks to every 3rd time you fill up the tank.

Note: This advice works for any surgical subspeciality.

Hi, I'd like to know what high school subjects I should take to become a neurosurgeon. If you know, please reply. I really need help. Thank you.

And to the OP, assuming this isn't a troll post...don't waste time doing stuff in high school. Do well in college, bust hump on the MCAT and get into medical school first. I highly suggest having a job too before going to med school. Being out in the working world for a few years did wonders for my motivation to study. This point in your life you should be enjoying life. There are no classes to prepare you for medicine/surgery unless you count your spanish courses LOL

High schools can offer anatomy and physiology, calculus, and more.

This thread contains a lot of ageism, which can be just as bad as racism when overdone.

I know this 15-year-old who is in college right now. He's a neat character, because he understands what life holds. He matured fast, and he grabbed advantages when he could. At the moment, he makes $20 an hour working for an engineering corporation. Yeah, isn't that fascinating? He can talk to me like an adult, so I consider him an adult. Most adults continue to act like low-class citizens with self-destructive tendencies.

I'm also meeting a lot of 16-year-olds in college. Yeah, and they've tested out of courses the college offers for college credit.

This thread is a year old.
I'm starting to remember why I didn't visit this forum long ago.

Also, the whole "live your life" thing has some strength. Because not doing so can lead to a regressed psychology, but some people don't care of the human condition and wish to excel beyond the norm. Maybe all of you have a problem with competition. Sorry, but I'm a communist.

I think the problem with people considering someone a troll is this:

1) If you believe it's a troll, don't post. Duh.
2) You can give information and walk away. <-- More honorable.

All of you and the way you are acting is why society is not advancing.
The information highway may have done its share in destroying the economy, but with effort, it can rebuild it.
It seems like everyone wants to blow up the highway these days by calling people trolls.

For saying a person should spend time understanding life and maturing, many of you have failed.

I'm not speaking like all of you, for many of you act like fools.
I'm speaking because I feel the need.

Last edited:
High schools can offer anatomy and physiology, calculus, and more.

This thread contains a lot of ageism, which can be just as bad as racism when overdone.

I know this 15-year-old who is in college right now. He's a neat character, because he understands what life holds. He matured fast, and he grabbed advantages when he could. At the moment, he makes $20 an hour working for an engineering corporation. Yeah, isn't that fascinating? He can talk to me like an adult, so I consider him an adult. Most adults continue to act like low-class citizens with self-destructive tendencies.

I'm also meeting a lot of 16-year-olds in college. Yeah, and they've tested out of courses the college offers for college credit.

This thread is a year old.
I'm starting to remember why I didn't visit this forum long ago.

Also, the whole "live your life" thing has some strength. Because not doing so can lead to a regressed psychology, but some people don't care of the human condition and wish to excel beyond the norm. Maybe all of you have a problem with competition. Sorry, but I'm a communist.

I think the problem with people considering someone a troll is this:

1) If you believe it's a troll, don't post. Duh.
2) You can give information and walk away. <-- More honorable.

All of you and the way you are acting is why society is not advancing.
The information highway may have done its share in destroying the economy, but with effort, it can rebuild it.
It seems like everyone wants to blow up the highway these days by calling people trolls.

For saying a person should spend time understanding life and maturing, many of you have failed.

I'm not speaking like all of you, for many of you act like fools.
I'm speaking because I feel the need.

And you are? Is this some sort of poem?

Somewhat existential, with odd form. That, plus the communist thing... are you an eastern european immigrant?

Your post is pretentious and dramatic, but honestly I have no idea what you're trying to say. I've been looking at it for 3 minutes now and it's starting to bother me.

If you insist on this infinite level of dorkdom, multiple pairs of titanium underwear will be required for the number of ultimate wedgies you will be receiving courtesy of the football team.

Relax, Melvin!

It's OK to study hard, but pace yourself. Neurosurgery will eat you alive if you start keening at this level in HIGH SCHOOL for christ sake!

dang, didnt notice this thread was a year old, i even had a funny post....

excellent advice from hans19. I have some other suggestions:

1) Start playing minesweeper both right and left handed to build hand-eye coordination.

2) Gradually reduce sleeping to 3 hours per night (5 hours/night on weekends) to build a tolerance for sleep deprivation.

3) Keep a detailed schedule of everything you want to do and accomplish all items quickly and efficiently.

4) Start reviewing neurosurgery journals and neurosurgery textbooks at a casual pace of 50-100 pages a day. By the time you graduate high school, you should have acquired enough knowledge of the field to have a few ideas for novel procedures.

5) Work out daily with an intensive weight training regimen to build lean muscle mass. This will make you more physically confident and formidable. Take anabolic steroids if necessary. Play competitive sports.

6) Torture rats and other small animals in your basement to build tolerance for blood and violence. The goal is to become completely stoic.