Medical High stat TX resident, should I apply OOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Stats: 4.0 GPA, 521 MCAT, 4th quartile Casper, TX resident, ORM.

Hello, I'm a high stats applicant taking a gap year. I have strong clinical experience (~800 hours, mostly scribing), weak/average nonclinical volunteering (generic, 200 hours), and I'm currently doing research in my gap year. I have an interest in primary care and most of my clinical experience reflects that.

I am complete for all TMDSAS schools except Dell since late June and early July. I applied AMCAS also (verified yesterday), but I'm really doubting if I should actually continue the process and shell out hundreds if not thousands of dollars for secondaries. Especially if it's so low yield. I also know that OOS Texas bias is a real thing.

Unless I somehow get a full ride T20 acceptance (very unlikely w/ my EC's), I would choose Texas schools. The only reason I would apply OOS is if I don't get into a Texas school. Would you still recommend me apply OOS, or should I just stay with Texas?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

This goes without saying, but you should apply to Baylor. I applied to them and literally just Harvard when I applied once upon a time, for the same reasons you described. If you would choose a TX school over other “good” schools then I agree there is no need to apply broadly and spend thousands of dollars

@GoSpursGo As of last year Baylor joined the TMDSAS application system, so you don't have to fill out AMCAS just to apply to Baylor any more!

The most recent statistics were that 83% of Texas applicants matriculated to Texas schools and 17% to OOS schools. I spelled out the statistics here: #131

I'm pretty sure that most of the Texans who got in OOS were high stat applicants like the OP. Some are also probably MD/PhD applicants.
If an OOS school has something that especially interests you or is a school in a part of the country you would love to experience, choose a few that you might attend even though they would cost more than a TX school. Pore over the MSAR to see % OOS matriculants and their map of the US to see if that school ever takes Texans.
Since TCU med school is on the AMCAS app, you did need AMCAS to include them as the last Texas MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This goes without saying, but you should apply to Baylor. I applied to them and literally just Harvard when I applied once upon a time, for the same reasons you described. If you would choose a TX school over other “good” schools then I agree there is no need to apply broadly and spend thousands of dollars
Thank you. I am thinking of drastically shortening my AMCAS school list.

Status
Not open for further replies.