high stats re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabeasurgeon?

Reaction score
Trying to be proactive and planning as if I will not be getting in this cycle. I believe part of the issue is that I am graduating in 3 yrs [age 21] and also that my non clinical volunteering was lacking [which I am addressing]. Also planning to get some professional help with my PS and Secondary essays. My LizzyM is 81, WARS 94. Will I have a better chance with schools that I applied to already [and not offered an interview] or with schools that I did not apply to this cycle. Planning on applying to both types of schools. My current list [hoping to pare down]:
BAYLOR
BOSTON UNIV*
CASE WESTERN
COLUMBIA*
DUKE
EMORY
HARVARD*
MT SINAI
USC*
MAYO*
NORTHWESTERN*
NYU**
STANFORD*
UCOLORADO*
UIOWA**
UMARYLAND
UMASS
UMICH
UPITT*
UTSW
UVA
VANDERBILT*
WASH U
YALE*
UPENN*
UCHICAGO**
WEILL CORNELL*
OHIO STATE

The * are schools that I applied to this current cycle
The ** are schools that I applied to and interviewed at

Any advice would be most appreciated in regards to the above question or any else that comes to your mind(s) in regards to adding/deleting schools, etc

Members don't see this ad.

You had 3 interviews and it's only February. What makes you think you're not getting in this cycle? Please tell me you are at least communicating with the schools you interviewed at, right?
This community will help when and if you need it, but I do believe you are jumping the gun here...

Reactions: 2 users
Which state can you claim as your residency?
You need your own state school(s), which I hope are on this list. And avoid state schools that have low OOS acceptance rates. I see that Baylor is on your list - great school, but very hard for a traditional OOS student to get in as they take overwhelmingly from Texas residents. You have too many state schools on this list, but without knowing the state from which you hail, I can only say that some of these state schools take way too few OOS students to make it worth your while, esp as a reapplicant.

Your school list is too top heavy for an applicant such as yourself who has worked hard, but from what is listed here, you are not URIM, and you are not disadvantaged, and you do not appear to have strong research. Going through college in 3 years is not really seen as an advantage to medical schools - maturity is an asset.

I do see that NYU interviewed you - they are all about the high stat applicants. They do take some great story applicants as well, but they need to balance those with very high stat people like yourself in order to keep the highest MCAT score in the country reputation.

My advice would be to slow down and figure out what passions you have in life and follow them. Take a deeper dive on what you are all about. Then reapply to medical school in 2020. Then you can likely apply to all kinds of top schools. Once you know who you are and where you are going, you will be a much better applicant. Getting so few interviews with these top stats does indicate that there is something potentially a bit damaging in your package. Poor or mediocre letters?

If you must insist upon applying right away in 2019 -2020 cycle, apply early. But also make sure that your essays are top notch. And redo your school list to include fewer T20. places. Think maybe Chicago- rosy Franklin, Hofstra, NY Med College, Albany, Rochester. Consider stony brook even if you are OOS as their acceptances for OOS are slightly higher than you would think. Use the MSAR for this.

Colorado is my state of residence and was not offered an interview this cycle. I listed several state schools as I had not applied to these this cycle and they seem reasonable in the amount of OOS students they interview and accept per the MSAR