High stats reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlad2022

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Would love to get some advice on how to improve for the upcoming cycle. It was definitely a really humbling experience not getting in this time around as a high stats applicants ( 3.9, 524) from a top ten undergrad and seeing people around me get in and have choices. Would people recommend hiring a third party consultant to help with essays and interviews? While my essays were mediocre, I believe my interviews went ok (my results suggest otherwise). I received 5 ii this last cycle ( 4 at top twenty) but feel like I got yield protected from lower schools because maybe my essays didn’t show enough interest. Would love to get anyone who is in a similar positions perspective. I am still on 2 waitlists but my hopes aren’t really high because they are at competitive schools.

Members don't see this ad.

What were your ECs? How many hours did you have in them when you applied? Any red flags (legal issues, IAs, etc.)?

If you perceive that your essays were part of the problem, then you’ll definitely want to rewrite everything for your next cycle. Before contacting any paid consulting services, try checking with writing or career services at your alma mater. My undergrad offered me PS/secondary editing through their writing center. I was really happy with the results and it was completely free. Your school’s career center might also offer free mock interview practice - definitely check with them.

What were your ECs? How many hours did you have in them when you applied? Any red flags (legal issues, IAs, etc.)?

If you perceive that your essays were part of the problem, then you’ll definitely want to rewrite everything for your next cycle. Before contacting any paid consulting services, try checking with writing or career services at your alma mater. My undergrad offered me PS/secondary editing through their writing center. I was really happy with the results and it was completely free. Your school’s career center might also offer free mock interview practice - definitely check with them.

Hey thanks for replying! I have 1000 + hours of research with a pub, 1000+ non clinical volunteering, and had around 150 clinical volunteering hours and 100 shadowing hours when applying ( these were kinda stunted because of covid). I added more clinical hours for this cycle through my work as a medical assistant ( around 800 hours ). Also no red flags except one withdrawal from a class. I am using my schools services but it seems they are booked all the time because many students use them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the process is luck of course.

To how many schools did you apply? If it was 10 to 20, 5 interviews is a decent yield. That tells me your essays probably weren't the problem with those particular schools. Would retooling them help you get Is at lower tier schools? maybe.

W isn't a red flag. I think I had 2 and got interviews to T20s and got an acceptance.

If you focus on your 5 Is with no A, it sounds like you are not convincing your interviewers that you would be a good addition to their school. I second the advice to consult any services your undergrad school can provide. Interview skills are something to work on.

Some of the process is luck of course.

To how many schools did you apply? If it was 10 to 20, 5 interviews is a decent yield. That tells me your essays probably weren't the problem with those particular schools. Would they help you get Is at lower tier schools? maybe.

W isn't a red flag. I think I had 2 and got interviews to T20s and got an acceptance.

If you focus on your 5 Is with no A, it sounds like you are not convincing your interviewers that you would be a good addition to their school. I second the advice to consult any services your undergrad school can provide.

I applied to 33 schools. I checked and the schools I got interviews from either don’t have why school essays and really short ones. I think my why school essays in particular were really bad cause they were rushed and kinda template oriented, which affected lower tier essays more. Yes my interviewing may need some work, but people who I worked with for my mocks said I was doing ok. Also I’m an ORM male, which may hurt because I’ve been told we are often stereotyped.

Sounds like your ECs probably weren't the problem, those hours look really good.

Your ORM status isn't the issue. High stats get thousands of ORM males into medical school every year. It appears you have already isolated the problem to subpar essays and interview performance, which is the usual explanation for why candidates who are stellar on paper (i.e., you) fail to get into medical school after a broad application cycle.

While you're thinking about how to improve essays/interviews, reach out to all the schools at which you interviewed and request a feedback meeting about your application. This is going to be your best bet for specific guidance.

I would only hire a paid consulting service as a last resort after exhausting all avenues from school/family/friends/professional contacts, simply because they're so expensive and the quality of these services can vary.

That sounds like some essay redos should help. Before you write your essays for each school, really look into the school and learn about their mission, research, etc. Your essays should reflect that.

I know that's a lot of work, but you're already used up your first app cycle (which is typically the best chance at an A all other things removed). I can't pinpoint anything other than unknowns here (letters, essays, interview skills). I'd say keep bolstering your app through hours and look into those.

Sounds like your ECs probably weren't the problem, those hours look really good.

Your ORM status isn't the issue. High stats get thousands of ORM males into medical school every year. It appears you have already isolated the problem to subpar essays and interview performance, which is the usual explanation for why candidates who are stellar on paper (i.e., you) fail to get into medical school after a broad application cycle.

While you're thinking about how to improve essays/interviews, reach out to all the schools at which you interviewed and request a feedback meeting about your application. This is going to be your best bet for specific guidance.

I would only hire a paid consulting service as a last resort after exhausting all avenues from school/family/friends/professional contacts, simply because they're so expensive and the quality of these services can vary.
Got it thank you! Yeah I did slack a little because of other personal problems during the app process but didn’t think it would be an issue because of my app on paper. I now understand that the presentstion over the next couple months through essays, interviews etc is as if not more important than the work put in during undergrad and it is not the time to slack. Will try to get everything done early. I was only wondering about paid services because I really don’t want to take any chances this time and while they are expensive I have friends with seemingly much worse apps on paper get into good schools through help from them.

That sounds like some essay redos should help. Before you write your essays for each school, really look into the school and learn about their mission, research, etc. Your essays should reflect that.

I know that's a lot of work, but you're already used up your first app cycle (which is typically the best chance at an A all other things removed). I can't pinpoint anything other than unknowns here (letters, essays, interview skills). I'd say keep bolstering your app through hours and look into those.
Yes I heard there is some stigma against reapplicants. I worked really hard over the last 4-5 years and while I don’t want to judge I have seen people who I know didn’t work that hard get into school this cycle. I’m pretty scared I’m gonna have a similar difficult time this upcoming reapplicant cycle as well. The application system seems somewhat unfair/ is expensive and I’m pretty jaded at this point was definitely contemplating dropping med after putting in this much work but have decided to reapply.

Again, there is an amount of luck that goes into the process.

Granted this was in 2005, and I didn't have any shadowing (missed that memo I guess), but I applied to 15 or so schools as a 3.9 520 and only got one A.

It's a tough game. Just work on changing what you can and do your best.

With stats like yours and no glaring gaps in your application, my instinct is that you may not have provided an effective narrative for why you want to be a doctor and why you'll be a good one. The stats show that you are capable of the work and that you are a hard worker. Now it is your job to craft essays and interview responses that are consistent and show your humanity.

I'd recommend thinking about your story. What is it about medicine that attracts you? What are your goals? Why this and not any of the other wonderful career options that are available to you? Figure that out, and then make sure that narrative can be found in every single essay and interview response that you offer (this is a subtle art, so I'm definitely not saying you should beat adcoms over the head with it). My point is that you need to have a story, and that story has to be compelling, realistic, consistent, and well-described.

In some ways, high stats applicants have it kind of rough. Lots of people can bust their butt and get the highest grades and scores. That alone does not equate to being suitable for medicine. So you have to sell that part of your applicant package and allow adcoms to see you as a fully functional human being who is compassionate, personable, and who is more than just a very driven student.

I was an editor in academia for more than a decade prior to medical school. If you'd like to bounce ideas off of me or want me to review some essays, feel free to DM me.

Reactions: 3 users
Naive question - how do schools know that a candidate is a reapplicant? Does it help to change over first app list? Thanks

Naive question - how do schools know that a candidate is a reapplicant? Does it help to change over first app list? Thanks
on the application form you are asked "are you a reapplicant?"
Lots of people have to reapply and it is not the kiss of death. Something should have been improved on, though, before a person starts another application cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
on the application form you are asked "are you a reapplicant?"
Lots of people have to reapply and it is not the kiss of death. Something should have been improved on, though, before a person starts another application cycle.
How much of a disadvantage is it? I hope I won’t be looked at poorly because I’m a reapplicant/ they think something is wrong with me.

Thank you for the help. From what I can see outside of clinical work ( which I have done over my gap year) I cannot add much else to my actual resume that will make me seem more appealing. What I need to work on is the presentation of my narrative/ essays/ interviews.

Applying successfully requires having the qualifications medical schools are looking for and presenting them effectively via your application. Your clinical experience may have been on the low side, but otherwise you seem to have been a competitive applicant, and you appear to have addressed that with your work this past year. I may have missed it, but you didn't mention when you applied. Obviously you want to apply early and without compromising the quality of your application.

In terms of presentation, obviously without seeing your apps, I can't say whether your essays were a problem or not. Given your stats, what you've outlined about your qualifications, and your own assessment of your essays, they probably were a weakness. Plus, again, as you have assessed 5 interviews and no acceptances means you want to improve your interviewing skills.

I hope you get accepted from one of your WLs. However, in the meantime, prepare to reapply as if you know you're rejected.