Reapplicant WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvsPearTree

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I applied last year to a total of 12 schools, 7 DO schools 5 MD schools, received one II and subsequent WL at PCOM-PA. Already submitted my applications for verification but wanted to make sure I chose appropriate schools and if I have a chance this year. Thankfully this year I can apply more broadly, have a hopefully stronger application with improved writing.

cGPA and sGPA
undergrad GPA: 2.73
postbacc GPA: 3.71 (55 credits)
cGPA:3.00

undergrad sGPA: 2.23
postbacc sGPA: 3.69
sGPA: 2.85

It would take me an additional 15 credit hours just to get my sGPA to break 3.0 so I think I'm tapped out on my DIY postbacc at this point. I also have one outlier on my postbacc grades where I received an F on my first and only postbacc class I took back in 2018. I received feedback from a dean of admissions that stated they noticed that F and also immediately thought that something must have happened then to cause it and disregarded it (sudden deployment is the reason).

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
1st attempt: 505 (123/127/125/130)
2nd attempt: 506 (125/126/127/128)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
FL

Ethnicity and/or race
White male

Undergraduate institution or category
Citadel

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
13 months (212hrs) inpatient hospice volunteer
6 months (64hrs) outpatient physical therapy/amputee clinic volunteer

Research experience and productivity
1 year (204hrs) undergraduate research

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
54hrs general surgery
52hrs EM
94hrs General Medical Officer

Non-clinical volunteering
2 years, 7 months (174hrs) Food bank/market volunteer
10 months (117hrs) Food bank/data entry volunteer

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
8 years active-duty Navy Officer
2 years Search and Rescue Swimmer

Other
since last application I've taken an additional 12 credit hours to get my cGPA to a 3.0 finally. I had to start a new clinical volunteering experience due to hospice closing. I participated in the Walter Reed SCOOP program (Shadowed in General Surgery for a month). I accumulated more volunteer hours. Finally, I retook the MCAT and unfortunately didn't improve my score.

Schools I currently have on my developing school List
ATSU
AZCOM
CCOM
DUQCOM (Duquesne, new DO school)
LECOM
MSUCOM
NYITCOM
Noorda
PCOM
Rowan
Touro
UIWSOM
WesternU

Charles R Drew
Drexel
FAU
FIU
Loma Linda
MUSC (strong tie to SC due to The Citadel)
Nova
Ponce (St louis)
Rush
USU
UF
UM (strong tie to MD, currently live here and spouse is a resident)
Umiami

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a ~15% chance for a MD acceptance . Concentrate on DO schools and you should apply broadly to at least 20 schools. I suggest these schools:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
TUNCOM
KHSC-COM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
Noorda-COM
ATSU (both schools)
AZCOM
Orlando (when it opens)
Duquesne (when it opens)
For MD schools you could try these:
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
U Florida
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Ponce-St. Louis
East Tennessee
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Uniformed Services University

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely pay attention to schools that really value veterans/military applicants through rotations in the VA or other clinical facilities on base. I don't know if you cross-referenced this in your original list. Maybe the issue is lack of clarity on mission fit on your applications.

Reactions: 1 users
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a ~15% chance for a MD acceptance . Concentrate on DO schools and you should apply broadly to at least 20 schools. I suggest these schools:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
TUNCOM
KHSC-COM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
Noorda-COM
ATSU (both schools)
AZCOM
Orlando (when it opens)
Duquesne (when it opens)
For MD schools you could try these:
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
U Florida
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Ponce-St. Louis
East Tennessee
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Uniformed Services University

Thank you Faha for the awesome list, and hey, I guess I can spin it that it's better having a 15% chance at MD than no chance. Definitely will make sure to apply to as many DO schools as possible though!

Did you receive any interviews last cycle?

I applied pretty late and submitted my secondaries in aug/sep and received one interview at PCOM-PA, and am currently on the WL.

Definitely pay attention to schools that really value veterans/military applicants through rotations in the VA or other clinical facilities on base. I don't know if you cross-referenced this in your original list. Maybe the issue is lack of clarity on mission fit on your applications.

I definitely did not think of looking at rotation sites, and ill definitely take a look. Could you possibly explain what you mean by a lack of clarity on mission fit? I definitely emphasized my military service and volunteering in my application, but are you saying I should ensure I clarify it further in the secondaries?

I do attribute my lack of success last cycle to applying rather late for being a not-stellar applicant, not applying to more schools, and potentially my writing as it seems a little rough as I'm rereading it for my new app.

I bet you'll have some luck with DO schools this time around, but please get those apps in the day before they are due (you know what I mean). I understand that life happens, but it makes me sad to see someone who may have been unsuccessful due at least in part to the rolling review.

Reactions: 1 user
I bet you'll have some luck with DO schools this time around, but please get those apps in the day before they are due (you know what I mean). I understand that life happens, but it makes me sad to see someone who may have been unsuccessful due at least in part to the rolling review.

I hope I'll have a better chance this go around. I definitely didn't want to risk being late this time, submitted my AACOMAS/AMCAS applications early and have already completed all of my DO secondary apps, and now turning around any MD secondary apps within a two days of receipt!

Rolling reviews should hopefully be removed as a factor for me this time, thank you!

I applied pretty late and submitted my secondaries in aug/sep and received one interview at PCOM-PA, and am currently on the WL.

I definitely did not think of looking at rotation sites, and ill definitely take a look. Could you possibly explain what you mean by a lack of clarity on mission fit? I definitely emphasized my military service and volunteering in my application, but are you saying I should ensure I clarify it further in the secondaries?

I do attribute my lack of success last cycle to applying rather late for being a not-stellar applicant, not applying to more schools, and potentially my writing as it seems a little rough as I'm rereading it for my new app.
Timing definitely didn't help but your aren't really late for AACOMAS.

Not seeing your actual application, we can only conjecture. When you are rereading your application, you need to answer the questions. These are your written interview answers, so take them seriously as they are your audition to an interview.

Most of us are looking for why we want to give you an interview. Everyone wants to be a doctor, everyone wants to sound impressive, but we want to know why we want to meet you and have you as part of our community.

Well following up on this, I just received my acceptance to PCOM yesterday afternoon.

Thank you all for your feedback and helpfulness! Truly incredible what you do for us premeds.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users