High Undergrad Debt Before Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerlinNeuro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm applying to med school this year for the 2009 class but I'm really wondering how I can make it work financially if I get a place. I now owe about $75k in undergrad and grad school debt with no chance to pay it off before next year. $45k is cosigned and the rest is fed and private loans only in my name. Now, from what I've checked, you can take out $200k in student loan debt in your own name without a cosigner. This leaves me with about $155k left for med schools loans without a cosigner regardless of loan type. But I know this will not be enough to cover the cost of four years at any of the schools I'm applying to and my parents absolutely refuse to pay or cosign any further debt because I have two other siblings in college. Is there a financial solution available out there? Has anyone been in my situation? I don't mind oweing the money since I feel I'll be able to pay it back, but I'll need borrow the money first. Thanks in advance!! :confused:

Alyssa

Members don't see this ad.

You'll probably need a co-signer, who don't necessarily need to be your parents.