Sep 14, 2017
I'm a non-traditional student, I did well in my undergrad (business degree) studies, and ended up with a 3.98 GPA. I did some DIY postbacc classes and just ended up with a 3.58 GPA (I was battling an illness for the first couple of semesters). According to AMCAS, my sGPA is 3.63 and my cGPA is 3.86. I have two MCAT score a 495 last year and 509 this year. Do I have a chance with stats like this? please help

aformerstudent

probationary status 4life
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Dude, that is not bad at all. What are you complaining about? Worst case, you do an SMP or at least a semester's worth of work and apply DO.

Who told you 3.58 is low?

Reactions: DocJanItor

DocJanItor

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I think you have a solid chance of getting in DO, and maybe MD depending on where you live, ECs, and background. I would've honestly loved to have your stats.

You are pretty late for MD applications this cycle, but DO is still on the table.

About the Ads

Blanky

2+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Stats look good! take a couple lighter science classes to show a trend while you wait for next cycle. Maybe work on ECs like shadowing or volunteer work.

Stuck on CCL2

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I'm a non-traditional student, I did well in my undergrad (business degree) studies, and ended up with a 3.98 GPA. I did some DIY postbacc classes and just ended up with a 3.58 GPA (I was battling an illness for the first couple of semesters). According to AMCAS, my sGPA is 3.63 and my cGPA is 3.86. I have two MCAT score a 495 last year and 509 this year. Do I have a chance with stats like this? please help
As long as you have good EC's and apply broadly I would say you have a great chance to get in low to mid-tier MD schools next application cycle if you apply early when it opens. If you absolutely want to get into medical school this cycle, DO may be your best bet but hey, why not apply to a few MD schools anyway if your AMCAS is already verified?

About the Ads