PTOSIS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
lets's talk about the COMLEX. i have heard that pharm, micro, OMM are the highest yield. that sucks b/c i have learned almost no pharm this year, so i am starting to learn it now.

i would appreciate the advice of the veterans on how to approach COMLEX.

Claymore

Yankees Suck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2000
chicago
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PTOSIS said:
lets's talk about the COMLEX. i have heard that pharm, micro, OMM are the highest yield. that sucks b/c i have learned almost no pharm this year, so i am starting to learn it now.

i would appreciate the advice of the veterans on how to approach COMLEX.
I'd agree that pharm and micro are probably the two biggest subjects. There is a fair amount of OMM but it is on a limited # of subjects...ie, the psoas muscle, autonomics, and (overlapping with anatomy) the UE and LE, especially innervations. I had virtually no cranial or sacrum on my exam.

For pharm, know the section in FA cold. That is enough for 90%+ of the pharm on COMLEX. For Micro, read Micro Made Ridic Simple. Awesome book...don't skip the sections on weird bugs (parasites/fungi/etc). The COMLEX had much tougher and more obscure micro than the USMLE. Good luck!

OP
P

PTOSIS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
thanx, guys
Claymore, is that your dog? i have a 1 y.o westie :)

Claymore

Yankees Suck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2000
chicago
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PTOSIS said:
thanx, guys
Claymore, is that your dog? i have a 1 y.o westie :)
Yup, 4 months old...just graduated from puppy preschool today! :)

OsteoMed02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2001
Norton Shores, MI
www.msu.edu
Status
It is rather difficult to say what the high yield topics will be, because from what I've heard, it differs from year-to-year. When I took the COMLEX last June, I was very pleased to see that the question stems were very similar to those that were free on the NBOME website. I would highly recommend buying the practice test booklet that they sell as well.

Was there a lot of Pharm? Not as much as I expected, but what we were given consisted of a lot of cardiac drugs (i.e. antihypertensives, antiarrhythmics, etc.). The OMM that was stressed on my test booklets was viscerosomatics and sacral...things that I reviewed heavily the week before the exam so they didn't become lost facts. Those can be easy points, so know your OMM. The Savarese book (green or blue) was pretty helpful. As far as Micro goes, I echo the sentiment to read Micro Made Ridiculously Simple. Not only is it thorough, but it is also pertinent and will give you the things you need to know for the exam. I don't remember there being any particularly difficult micro.

One last hint... Last year there were a lot of questions on gross anatomy, especially innervation of the LE and UE, blood supply to various organs, etc. Review a little anatomy before you take the exam...it just may help!

Best of luck!

Julia
:luck:

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Know the autonimics page from Savaese and those 2 pages of Gram + and Gram - flow sheets from FA and that'll give you about 150 questions or something ridiculous like that...from what I can remember.