Higher Tier DO friendly Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Craigielawson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what "top" programs are out there that are quite DO friendly.

While I know Peds is typically DO friendly, there are still some programs that aren't like Luries Children memorial in Chicago.

My goal is to eventually do peds card and I am couples matching with my better half that wants to do surgery or ob. With that being said, id prefer residencies that had the fellowship as well to make life easier.

Members don't see this ad.

I did my subs training at the University of Iowa. It is often overlooked more for being in "flyover country" more than anything else. I thought the peds residency was strong and there is ample opportunity to get involved in research which will only help with fellowship. It has a good cardiology program with its strongest presence in EP and an interventionalist who is one of the smartest doctors I've ever known. Very DO friendly and good record for placing people in fellowships, including cardiology.

Thank you. I'll definitely look into that. I'm from the suburbs of Chicago so that wouldn't be too bad at all for me.

I suppose I'm looking at university type places like Iowa, Rush, or VCU. Those places are some that seem reasonable.

Just curious, know anything about the rest of the Midwest schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I'll definitely look into that. I'm from the suburbs of Chicago so that wouldn't be too bad at all for me.

I suppose I'm looking at university type places like Iowa, Rush, or VCU. Those places are some that seem reasonable.

Just curious, know anything about the rest of the Midwest schools?

I think the best way to find out how DO friendly schools are is to look at their rosters of current residents to see how many of their current residents attended osteopathic schools. Just based on my memories from the trail, I feel like there were a few DOs most of the big midwest programs I went to ( Rainbow, Nationwide, maybe Cincy). Michigan, Northwestern, CHOP, and Pitt were less so. There are a ton of great programs in the midwest -- on the interview trail, I heard great things about Indiana, children's hospital of Michigan, Minnesota, and MCW, but I did not visit any of these so I can't talk about them specifically.

Good luck, in the end you should just apply to the programs you like, it's just a few bucks more and you won't have any regrets.

FWIW, Nationwide has its categorical peds program as well as a smaller dual-accredited program that only accepts DOs. It's technically a different program but you are at Nationwide.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW, Nationwide has its categorical peds program as well as a smaller dual-accredited program that only accepts DOs. It's technically a different program but you are at Nationwide.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile
I don't know much about AOA peds programs but this one has got to be a gem. But, what the crap do I know, I'm just one of the bottom rungs on the totem poll..

UofC is DO-friendly and is extremely "university-type"; the downside is that the cardiology program is not as large as some places and there is no cardiology fellowship. However, the amount and quality of cardiology exposure has improved greatly over my 3 years of residency. We have a new pediatric cardiology section chief Dan Gruenstein who is fantastic and our pediatric cardiac cath lab opened last year. Being in Chicago is great for physician-physician couples because there are so many potential hospitals to match at.

However, people who want to apply to cards typically do an away rotation at other institution that does have a cardiology fellowship, which seems like a hassle. Also, while we do get exposure to a lot including pre-op CHD in our NICU and post-op in our PICU, it wouldn't be nearly at the volume you'd see at a cardiology powerhouse.

http://www.uchospitals.edu/physicians/daniel-gruenstein.html

Cincinnati (their badges say MD/DO), Nationwide, Rainbow, Jefferson/duPont, Penn State Hershey

I'm actually from Chicago and would love to go back there. I wasn't aware that UofC was actually DO friendly. That's really good to know; I look forward to applying there. Just curious though, where do people usually live if working at UofC or any Chicago hospital? I know Chicago is much cheaper than New York, but it's probably not the greatest with a resident budget?

Also, I am looking at Ohio as well. I love the multiple peds cards in state. Plus my girlfriend is from Pennsylvania so that would work well.

Thanks everyone!

I'm actually from Chicago and would love to go back there. I wasn't aware that UofC was actually DO friendly. That's really good to know; I look forward to applying there. Just curious though, where do people usually live if working at UofC or any Chicago hospital? I know Chicago is much cheaper than New York, but it's probably not the greatest with a resident budget?

Also, I am looking at Ohio as well. I love the multiple peds cards in state. Plus my girlfriend is from Pennsylvania so that would work well.

Thanks everyone!

For u of c, the loop is somewhat affordable. Wicker park, Pilsen, and multiple other neighborhoods are also doable.

Large dogs

So. Probably shot myself in the foot. How bad does it look if you go down from step 1 to step 2? I did pretty well on step 1, but it's not looking the same way right now. Haven't taken the test yet, but "I have a bad feeling about this"...

So. Probably shot myself in the foot. How bad does it look if you go down from step 1 to step 2? I did pretty well on step 1, but it's not looking the same way right now. Haven't taken the test yet, but "I have a bad feeling about this"...

FWIW, I felt like crap walking out of Step 2, and pretty good walking out of Step 1. I scored about 40 points higher on Step 2. Don't start making assumptions, wait til you have the actual results in your hand.

I didn't feel great after step 1, but did fine. Yesterday, I took step 2 and feel like I could've just taken the test without studying and had the same result. Hopefully, it's not a huge drop. All i could think during the test was how I was going to have to change my list of residency programs... :nailbiting:

DO student
Step 1: 250
Step 2: 249.

What programs in midwest or mid-atlanic region should I look at?