Highest DO MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the highest MCAT score have you seen for a DO matriculant? 33 for the guy with the caveman was the highest I've seen, anyone have a higher score for someone in their class or seen on this website ?

Members don't see this ad.

UMP said:
what's the highest MCAT score have you seen for a DO matriculant? 33 for the guy with the caveman was the highest I've seen, anyone have a higher score for someone in their class or seen on this website ?

didn't jake harley going 2 comp get 36, and i think huntergather (caveman avatar) who's going 2 nycom got 32, not that it matters

Members don't see this ad :)
32 here but I'm not sure where this thread is heading. I think there was a NYCOM thread where there were a number of 30+ MCAT scores.

36 is 98th percentile so it will be tough to find 37+ scorers applying to DO schools and active on SDN.

One of my classmates made a 36 or a 37 on the MCAT.

HunterGatherer said:
32 here but I'm not sure where this thread is heading. .....36 is 98th percentile so it will be tough to find 37+ scorers applying to DO schools and active on SDN.
Yeah, this smells like a fishing expedition to me.

Anyway, the highest score I know of in my class is a 35, but he's too busy studying to be playing around on SDN :D

I think oldmanDave got a 40 something.

I know a guy with a 42 at DMU, but he is way to busy studying to be here on SDN.

I know one guy with a 37. Incidently, he'll never make a good physician. He's been brought before the promotions committee for threats made to other students. His grades are good except for omm and clinical exam, where you have to relate to people, and I seriously doubt he'll survive rotations in years 3 and 4. But he has a 37. Big deal.

Guy in our class at DMU with a 37 and there are a few right below him but he is the highest in our class. He now teaches for Kaplan on the side.

What's the highest MCAT you've seen for an MD matriculant? Are you inferring that DO MCAT scores are naturally lower than MD??? I hope not, because in this forum people have stated numerous 35+. This isn't a competition or ego war. If this wasn't your intent, I apologize ... my guard has just been a little high lately!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know one guy with a 37. Incidently, he'll never make a good physician. He's been brought before the promotions committee for threats made to other students. His grades are good except for omm and clinical exam, where you have to relate to people, and I seriously doubt he'll survive rotations in years 3 and 4. But he has a 37. Big deal.

I had a couple of classmates like this and believe me...your classmate will make it too. Promotion boards, mandatory counseling, assigning the students to mandatory preceptors, etc etc etc. Now they're in radiology and gas programs.

Per the stats given to me by DMU adcom, the mcat for my class was a 39

I know some schools have highs of like 39ish. I know people that focus only on DO school and they did very well in school and on the MCAT.

I GOT A 50! BEAT THAT YO!:p

Grow a thicker skin JaggerPlate. You have become so defensive about DO threads that you're responding to an almost 2 year old post. You do not have to single handedly save Osteopathic medicine.

And just so the facts are clear.

The MCAT scores for the average DO matriculant are lower than those of the average MD matriculant. I don't know what you mean by 'naturally lower'?

I just bought Super C for my Wii, I wish the original Contra was available. Then again, you couldn't beat the game without those 30 lives.

I just bought Super C for my Wii, I wish the original Contra was available. Then again, you couldn't beat the game without those 30 lives.

There is nothing like the original. I still rock out with the old NES. So what if I have to blow on the cartridge until I pass out. :laugh:

There is nothing like the original. I still rock out with the old NES. So what if I have to blow on the cartridge until I pass out. :laugh:

Nothing beats the original ... I'm a huge NES lover and still play mine as often as possible. Also, in response to what you said ealier:

The MCAT scores for the average DO matriculant are lower than those of the average MD matriculant. I don't know what you mean by 'naturally lower'?

1. I didn't see that the thread was that old, trust me ... I don't understand why people dig up threads that old, and I would NOT have commented had I seen that at first.

2. I will always stand up for this kind of stuff when people make bad generalizations. Example: On the whole, DO schools have slightly lower average MCAT scores for matriculation. However, when comparing some smaller state allopathic schools with larger DOs such as Western, people will see MCAT scores are extremely close (28 vs 28 or 29 vs 28 etc). This is the same way that comparing these MD schools to averages at popular privates or low tuition publics will yield much larger variation in scores. If a generalization of DO vs MD is to be made, then stereotypes between these different MD schools should be made as well.

Another example: Say that I come into the pre-allo forum and start a thread that states: 'The average male MD student is 4 inches shorter and, on average, has had less intimate relationships with females in their same age bracket.' Now, I have phrased this statement in a manner that is not overtly insulting. If someone called me out on this I could defend myself, but it is fairly obvious that (in this example, which is just an example) I believe that MD students are less appealing to the opposite sex than the average DO student. Now, maybe you are 6' 2" and have one-night stands with super models every weekend. Would you not feel obligated to at least say ' I/others that I know do not fall into this general category, therefore I will explain that you made a broad generalization and feel offended because I am an MD student, but do not possess these characteristics' ? Other DO students who feel that this generalization is true would come onto the thread and say things like 'heh, grow thicker skin Underdog' and even if this is generally true via a large statistical survey, it isn't true for you and you would feel the need to comment on how foolish the statement was and how individual cases should be evaluated to comment on this issue.

People can say little things to me whenever they want, but I'm not going to stop reading through the lines and commenting on statements like this. The OP probably asked the question because he assumed DO applicants have lower MCAT scores. However, like various others have said, various DO students have 35+ scores and I'm positive there are various MD students who did not have MCAT scores this high. It's another attempt to make a distinction between DO vs MD, not characteristics of individual students or schools. As long as I'm not being offensive in my posts, there is no reason to get offended or feel that thinly veiled attempts to say 'chill out' (ie: I agree, but won't be this blatant), should stop my commentary. Thanks.

* Please understand I'm not trying to be offensive here, just explaining my reaction.

I agree you're uncharacteristically sensitive here, Jagger. The truth is all things equal, an applicant with a 25 MCAT has a better chance at acceptance at DO schools than MD schools.

wow, well I got the highest possible score, the one that got me an acceptance letter!

There is a woman going to DMU next year who got a 38 on her MCAT, I met her at the pre-osteo mtgs sponsored by the Oregon Osteopathic Society.

Why?
The statement that the average DO matriculant has a lower MCAT score than the average MD matriculant is a fact. THIS IS A FACT. People can draw whatever conclusions they want. I don't think anybody is stupid enough to think that all DO students have lower MCAT scores than all MD students. Saying that the best DO schools have comparable averages to the worst MD schools does not say much for your argument. (Yes as much as people hate to admit it there are good and bad MD schools as there are good and bad DO schools.)

You are missing the entire point of my argument, which doesn't surprise me. Too often on SDN people only want their opinion mirrored back at them and forget to really read a post. I never said 'on average, DO MCAT is not lower than MD.' What I said was that lumping everything together is foolish (which I explained in my examples-which once again, I never claimed were fact).

Also, I was not claiming that Western was the best DO school and that I was comparing the best DO programs to the worst MD programs. I don't judge programs based on the average matriculating MCAT. I think most Med students will agree that things such as clinical sites, location, and cost are much more important when choosing a DO school.

I also think it is important for you to realize that, although the MCAT is a good indicator of the ability to perform in medical school, it by no means determines the quality of an institution or reflect the type of physicians that come from said school. I've seen you hawking this MCAT issue around here before and you can say whatever you want about the averages if it makes you feel better, but my point was that using averages doesn't define DO students (or MD students) as a whole, nor does the MCAT equate to quality of a medical school.

This example is flawed, because it is not a fact.

Nope, wasn't trying to claim it as fact, simply making an example to reflect my point that broad generalizations rarely define the quality of something as specific as an individual or school.

If the statement were a fact, aka true, then I would admit that it is true. Just because the statement does not apply to me it becomes foolish? No.

So if you were a student at a DO school with a 36 MCAT and I said 'DO students perform lower on the MCAT than MD students, on average' you wouldn't feel inclined to speak up and say 'No that generalization is biased and I know this because I got a 36 on the MCAT?' I find that hard to believe.

(No where did I say 'all,' but the statement is loaded and I feel that most people in the situation would comment)

If he assumed the average DO applicant had a lower MCAT than the average MD applicant than his assumption was entirely correct.

Maybe you need to grow some thicker skin man. I'm afraid I just don't understand this vendetta you have concerning DO MCAT averages? Are you really that bothered that specific DO students score very high on the MCAT and ergo need everyone to know that on average the scores are slightly lower. I'm afraid I just don't understand why you have such a problem with this issue.

Understand the distinction between average and all. All DO students do not have lower MCAT scores than all MD students. The average DO student does.

Agreed. But once again you missed my point. By saying average people automatically think of one complete sect being lower than another (ie DO lower than MD). I may have made some points that would be considered 'all' instead of 'average' but I didn't hear anything about individual students in previous argument so until then I'll assume most people want to assume all MD students perform better than DO students which is where I take issue.

I am not offended and the intention of this post is not to offend you.

Thank you. I was not offended by any of your posts and I am glad you weren't offended by mine.

You know where I stand with respect to DO schools.

Actually, to be honest, I don't. I'm naturally assuming you a pre-med only applying allo and your comments lead me to believe you generally think MD > DO.

I have no problem with MD schools, DO schools, Carribean schools, Alternative medicine, or Stewart University SOM. I do have a problem with people who cannot handle the facts and try to imply that they are not true.

Once again, I don't think people (myself included) deny there is a slight difference in averages, but I think you're taking this 'fact' (the way you keep phrasing that makes me laugh) and inferring different things from this. Also, in the US, a DO is legally granted all rights as MDs so the whole alternative medicine or it being some sort of wanna be MD just isn't 'fact.'

....I would feel confident that I scored a 36 while still acknowledging that that the average DO matriculant has a lower MCAT score. Me scoring a 36 does not change the veracity of the previous statement. I would not get defensive.....

You've already gotten rather defensive, IMO. You stated a fact, then proceded to tell the world over and over that it was a fact as if no one but you knew it was true. We aren't all that stupid.

Seems to me like you made your one and only point already, so maybe it's time to move on.

Doctors know that MCAT scores say very little about how good a doctor you are or will be. What happens when you meet another doctor? They don't ask you about what you scored on anything. They don't care because they know it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. They ask where you trained. What they mean is where did you do your residency. Because residency is where you really learn to be a doctor. The average MCAT score is something that only a pre-med cares about.

You're right. I was arguing how having a higher MCAT makes one a better doctor. That is exactly what I was doing. I was wrong. You guys are right.

I have no intention to keep going back and forth with you or to post in this thread again. Arguing with you is pointless, you seem to see only what you want to see. I made my point which really was just a statement of fact and there is nothing further I have to say. You can respond however you like-probably with more straw men.

Same. I don't think we are going to see eye to eye, and arguing back and forth like this is simply ego inflated bickering. I'm not trying to be a bully, or insult anyone's intelligence, or do the straw men (??) thing you are talking about. I won't ever apologize for defending misconceptions concerning the DO degree, but I'm not trying to deny logic or act irrational in doing so. I really have nothing else to say, good luck with everything.

Same. I don't think we are going to see eye to eye, and arguing back and forth like this is simply ego inflated bickering. I'm not trying to be a bully, or insult anyone's intelligence, or do the straw men (??) thing you are talking about. I won't ever apologize for defending misconceptions concerning the DO degree, but I'm not trying to deny logic or act irrational in doing so. I really have nothing else to say, good luck with everything.

I already gave up. I was wrong. You win.

I already gave up. I was wrong. You win.

I would just like to say that I love when people who judge others as being inferior misuse critical thinking terminology. Not once did I see anyone throw up a straw man in this thread. You stated your opinion rather clearly and people used that as the basis of their argument. No one restated it or changed it to make it easier to dispute. But, you go on and continue to use that term incorrectly. I am sure you won't look like an idiot in the future.

well i got a 37 on the mcats....and I am applying to DO schools this year....

dumb question....

as students learn more about osteopathy, the scores will get higher and higher especially to the state sponsored schools.

'The average male MD student is 4 inches shorter and, on average, has had less intimate relationships with females in their same age bracket.'

Yeah, I remember the NIH research that proved this. I remember the study concluded that greater average length and girth of DO male students was the proposed reason for this. But of course, further studies and more funding are warranted! ;)

Yeah, I remember the NIH research that proved this. I remember the study concluded that greater average width and girth of DO male students was the proposed reason for this. But of course, further studies and more funding are warranted! ;)
Damn it, Im definitely applying DO, im just too insecure with myself. I dont want ppl to think I dont have enough width or girth!