Highest yield in 2-3 months of MCAT prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicPA

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

Background on me, I am a non-traditional student, 32 y/o, taking Physics and Organic Chem now. I like to take the MCAT's in December(correction* possibly Jan 2021, or earliest possible given Sept is last month in 2020), so I can still apply for the upcoming 2021 cycle, I'll have 2-3 months of prep. Given that there are an abundant amount of resources and test prep companies, which do you recommend for the highest overall yield in those 2-3 months?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone,

Background on me, I am a non-traditional student, 32 y/o, taking Physics and Organic Chem now. I like to take the MCAT's in December, so I can still apply for the upcoming 2021 cycle, I'll have 2-3 months of prep. Given that there are an abundant amount of resources and test prep companies, which do you recommend for the highest overall yield in those 2-3 months?

Thank you in advance
There is no MCAT date in December. September is the last date this year.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

There is no MCAT date in December. September is the last date this year.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Thank you Dr. Gains. Would you happen to know if they would restart testing in Jan 2021? I cant seem to find any information on 2021 test dates just yet.

Thank you Dr. Gains. Would you happen to know if they would restart testing in Jan 2021? I cant seem to find any information on 2021 test dates just yet.
Yes, they have to get through 2020 before publishing a calendar for 2021. They will certainly start up again in January (unless a second wave of COVID interferes), but won't publish a calendar until later this fall. You said you want to apply for the upcoming 2021 cycle. Does this mean you intend to begin school in August 2021?

If so, the absolute latest you can take the test is September 2020. You have to submit an application by November 2020 at the very latest to apply for the upcoming cycle. This is for MD schools. DO schools have later deadlines, and you might be able to get away with a January MCAT for them, although that would probably be pushing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as resources, in order I recommend:
1. All AAMC materials
2. UWorld
3. TBR for all subjects except CARS and PS
4. KA for PS and content review
5. NextStep first 5 practice exams

Usually one to three test dates are in January with next the dates being available in March.
Yeah, but next year everything will depend on social distancing. If they go back to a full length exam and can only use 50% test center capacity, they'll need twice as many dates. They'll almost have to use every month to test from January-September!

Im pretty sure everyone, at least that I have seen, agrees AAMC material is most representative. I personally didnt use any third party except tpr last year. From my impression tpr is good at the beginning of your studies because it really dives into depth on the fundamentals (more than aamc expects) so it helps drive home the foundations and concepts. I personally used all my college notes since i was a bio major and had extensive notes on bio/chem and also took 4/5 psych courses which helped. I would save aamc fl 1-4 + sample for last 2 months with saving 1 or two for the last 2/3 weeks.