highschool grades...

elvisthepup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
will they have any influence on med school, apart from ug selection?

i assume (aka hope aka pray aka etc.) they won't.

w/<3

Members don't see this ad.

No, nothing matters for med schools until college.

nope you are in the clear, just dont mess up in undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you do mess up in undergrad you can still get into medical school with a little extra work.

Reactions: 1 user
For the most part, no.

Of course your high school grades will have a direct impact on your selection of undergrad you attend.

The only exception of note is taking high school classes for college credit. Any classes you took for college credit at all, ever, no exceptions, will be reported to medical schools. I do know people that this came back to bite them in the ass when they took a class in high school for college credit and got a C in it.

I am a high school dropout from a terrible school system with a GED who went to MSTP at a top medical school. I did this by performing well in a special program at my undergrad after I got my GED. Then I made a transition into full time status at my state undergrad university where I pulled a near 4.0 and did very well on the MCAT. High school doesn't matter. At all.

I am a high school dropout from a terrible school system with a GED who went to MSTP at a top medical school. I did this by performing well in a special program at my undergrad after I got my GED. Then I made a transition into full time status at my state undergrad university where I pulled a near 4.0 and did very well on the MCAT. High school doesn't matter. At all.

I'm applying to medical school this cycle and there is nowhere on the application that asks about your grades from high school. Some schools secondaries had an optional field to fill in SAT/ACT scores. Needless to say I left those blank because of my terrible high school academic record lol

Some schools secondaries had an optional field to fill in SAT/ACT scores. Needless to say I left those blank because of my terrible high school academic record lol

I believe schools that have that do so because they're interested in comparing those scores with eventual outcomes in college and beyond, not because they use it as a selection factor in admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
If you bring up your high school grades in a med school interview, the interviewer's eyes will start to glaze over while you talk until they gently reach over and flick your ear to shock you into silence.