Highschool senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyscorpian14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a senior this year planning to attend the university of alaska-Anchroage for my pre-med studies what I wanted to know do you guys know of any international medicals school which teaches in english that resembles or have the feeling of alaska mix with the new England flair I want a medical school that has lots of teachers that would be around when needed but is also cheap and the students were sweet and nice that one of the reason I pick my college I'm going to be going to nice people good tuition and lots of nature and fresh air!!!!!:) :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys I'm a senior this year planning to attend the university of alaska-Anchroage for my pre-med studies what I wanted to know do you guys know of any international medicals school which teaches in english that resembles or have the feeling of alaska mix with the new England flair

So, lots of snow with lobsters and fishing boats? Nope, I don't know of any international schools that would fit that description save for some of the Canadian ones.

Why are you considering going to an international school to study medicine? Are you aware of the difficulties in becoming a practicing physician in the US if you train outside of North America? It sounds like a lot of fun, but believe me, the hassles are generally not worth it if you can get into a US or Canadian school. BTW, you'll need to do more than "pre-med" studies if you want to practice in the US - you need at least 90 units which would include general education and most complete their undergrad degree before starting medical school.

I want a medical school that has lots of teachers that would be around when needed but is also cheap

There are no cheap medical schools anywhere, except for some of the states with government subsidies for residents (ie, California). Most of the international schools worth attending are fairly expensive and require loans to pay for them (as do most US schools). As for "lots of teachers that would be around" - highly variable.

and the students were sweet and nice

Well, you're in for a suprise. Medical students and the medical community in general, aren't known for being nice and sweet - something to do with being a Type A personality, the work load, pay cuts, etc.

So, in the end, I'm not sure what answer to give you. Perhaps you could enlighten us on your reasons for studying medicine abroad.

I agree, I think you should revise your ideas about what exactly studying medicine entails. It's going to be very very tough and there are going to be days when you don't feel very sweet and cuddly yourself, much less expect others to be so. In my experience University (that is college in your terms) is more about how you can help yourself and generally lecturers aren't at your beck and call everytime you have a problem understanding everything. You pretty much end up slogging through yourself and sometimes you're lucky and can ask the help of a friend.

Perhaps you should focus on the good med schools in th US, studying overseas creates many hassles when you want to return one day. You're lucky to have the chance to study there and there are many students worldwide who would kill to be in your position. Look into programmes that offer what you think you need academically because at the end of the day that is what's most important.

Good luck!