Highway robbery at Touro NYC

Started by jdandturk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jdandturk

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I just noticed this on touro's website.
RESPONSIBILITES OF ACCEPTED APPLICANTS
All accepted applicants are required to submit two deposits in order to secure their place in class.
  1. Acceptance Deposit: For applicants accepted to TOUROCOM, a non-refundable acceptance deposit of $2,000, payable two weeks after notification of acceptance.
2000$ non-refundable😱 WTF!!. Greedy bastards
 
Hi, I just noticed this on touro's website.
RESPONSIBILITES OF ACCEPTED APPLICANTS

All accepted applicants are required to submit two deposits in order to secure their place in class.
  1. Acceptance Deposit: For applicants accepted to TOUROCOM, a non-refundable acceptance deposit of $2,000, payable two weeks after notification of acceptance.
2000$ non-refundable😱 WTF!!. Greedy bastards

Two Deposits? Of $2000, or in $1000 each?
 
sorry about that, it got cut off. Here is the complete version.

RESPONSIBILITES OF ACCEPTED APPLICANTS

All accepted applicants are required to submit two deposits in order to secure their place in class.
  1. Acceptance Deposit: For applicants accepted to TOUROCOM, a non-refundable acceptance deposit of $2,000, payable two weeks after notification of acceptance.
  2. Tuition Deposit: An additional payment of $1,000 is due by May 15th. This tuition deposit is refundable if notice of cancellation is made prior to or on the first day of mandatory orientation. Upon matriculation, the entire $3,000 is applied toward the total tuition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's sounds horrible and greedy. For the acceptance deposit of Touro-NV, it gives back $1900, but keeps the $100 deposit should you decide to go somewhere else. New York should adopt that same method.
 
The other touros are the same I thought. I know Touro-CA is. It all goes towards tuition if you go there. It forces you to make a commitment to that school. When it is refundable, you could theoretically just send the money in to hold a spot and then bail a little later. This kind of reduces that. I don't think its robbery at all. As Dr. Haight stated during our interview, "just as we hate to have you waiting for an answer, we hate having to wait for you to decide." They just want to know what kind of numbers to accept as you go on.

Its only greedy if you decide to be greedy and indecisive about your decision with the school. They don't like to play second fiddle either.
 
Yes, but most other schools (MD and DO) Only charge 100$. 2000 seems excessive. And there is nothing wrong with applying to a school if it is not your first choice. In this crazy application process you HAVE to apply to many schools
 
The other touros are the same I thought. I know Touro-CA is. It all goes towards tuition if you go there. It forces you to make a commitment to that school. When it is refundable, you could theoretically just send the money in to hold a spot and then bail a little later. This kind of reduces that. I don't think its robbery at all. As Dr. Haight stated during our interview, "just as we hate to have you waiting for an answer, we hate having to wait for you to decide." They just want to know what kind of numbers to accept as you go on.

Its only greedy if you decide to be greedy and indecisive about your decision with the school. They don't like to play second fiddle either.

The Nevada exception to the "Touro rule" is due to NV state law. They'd be the same, if it wasn't for that.
 
What happens if you really want to go there, but don't have the 2k at the deadline? Do you think they make exceptions.? I'm going to have to take out loans to pay for med school and I definitely don't have 2k stashed away underneath a mattress.😕
 
Dude,

I had to pay $1500 deposit when 2 years ago at LECOM- Erie. You do whatever it takes. If you care about that seat then don't complain and call it a robbery.
 
Hi, I just noticed this on touro's website.
RESPONSIBILITES OF ACCEPTED APPLICANTS

All accepted applicants are required to submit two deposits in order to secure their place in class.
  1. Acceptance Deposit: For applicants accepted to TOUROCOM, a non-refundable acceptance deposit of $2,000, payable two weeks after notification of acceptance.
2000$ non-refundable😱 WTF!!. Greedy bastards

Just so you understand their logic as best as I can figure it out. They require 2K within 2 weeks of notification to encourage people who are not serious about the school (ie. they are just using it as a safety net) to NOT accept. If you do decide to go, another 1K is required in either May or June. I forget the exact date. In total 3K is placed toward your first year tuition payment.
 
I believe COMP was $2k back in 06 when I dropped my deposit down. Probably the same now.

yea but at least they give you time to put down teh deposit. THey said you have until December 15th, which is a long ass time if you get an acceptance in an early part of the cycle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The other touros are the same I thought. I know Touro-CA is. It all goes towards tuition if you go there. It forces you to make a commitment to that school. When it is refundable, you could theoretically just send the money in to hold a spot and then bail a little later. This kind of reduces that. I don't think its robbery at all. As Dr. Haight stated during our interview, "just as we hate to have you waiting for an answer, we hate having to wait for you to decide." They just want to know what kind of numbers to accept as you go on.

Its only greedy if you decide to be greedy and indecisive about your decision with the school. They don't like to play second fiddle either.

Eh, I do disagree with you because the chunk of money makes it prohibitively expensive for a lot of people. If it was non-refundable $200 it would be more reasonable than $2,000. I'm actually kind of concerned about what would happen if I got into school X in Nov, sent in a deposit, and then get into school Y in Feb, only to find I'm in love with school Y. Sucks to eat the deposit. Sucks a lot. It just doesn't allow for the wiggle room that MD schools give you.

Now, I get why they do this (who wants to be a backup plan?) but it still kinda sucks.
 
Now, I get why they do this (who wants to be a backup plan?) but it still kinda sucks.

It sucks worse than that because you also have to pay to move to a new place (unless you already love there), pay rent (maybe 1st, last and deposit as well), deposits for utilities, buy books and school supplies and have enough in living expenses for a while because you won't generally get your refund check for financial aid until several weeks after school starts. You need the money for all that up front in most cases. If you want it bad enough, you find a way to pay for it all.
 
It sucks worse than that because you also have to pay to move to a new place (unless you already love there), pay rent (maybe 1st, last and deposit as well), deposits for utilities, buy books and school supplies and have enough in living expenses for a while because you won't generally get your refund check for financial aid until several weeks after school starts. You need the money for all that up front in most cases. If you want it bad enough, you find a way to pay for it all.

Oh, yeah, I know. I'm in a very fortunate financial situation where the bank of mom & dad can pay for all of this stuff, but if they didn't, I have no idea how I would foot all the bills. Exercise my Visa, maybe. :meanie:
 
Just so you understand their logic as best as I can figure it out. They require 2K within 2 weeks of notification to encourage people who are not serious about the school (ie. they are just using it as a safety net) to NOT accept. If you do decide to go, another 1K is required in either May or June. I forget the exact date. In total 3K is placed toward your first year tuition payment.
Why do schools care if you use them as a backup?. If I end up going there I will still work hard and succeed; all it means that in an ideal world I would rather be in a different school (Lets' be real we all have a top choice and by definition all other schools are backups if we don't get in there).
 
Why do schools care if you use them as a backup?. If I end up going there I will still work hard and succeed; all it means that in an ideal world I would rather be in a different school (Lets' be real we all have a top choice and by definition all other schools are backups if we don't get in there).

Just for organization and book-keeping purposes. This way schools can lock down their open spots and not have to play last minute shuffle.
 
LMU DCOM is also a $2000 non-refundable deposit. But it's only due in 2 weeks when you've been accepted after the Christmas break or something like that. But that's pretty much standard. The earlier you've been accepted the more time you have decide.
 
Why do schools care if you use them as a backup?. If I end up going there I will still work hard and succeed; all it means that in an ideal world I would rather be in a different school (Lets' be real we all have a top choice and by definition all other schools are backups if we don't get in there).

I used to say I had a top choice, but soon realized that theres no way I can declare a school "my #1" if I haven't even been to them all yet. If I'm spending the time and money to fly out to their school....then best believe it is at the "top" of my list. And with each interview I go to i leave open the possiblity that I could like this school more than any one I have seen before.

I'm reserving the declaration of "#1" til after my last interview, or at least til i've been to enough so that i can kind of rank the ones Ive been to.
 
Last edited:
I used to say I had a top choice, but soon realized that theres no way I can declare a school "my #1" if I haven't even been to them all yet. If I'm spending the time and money to fly out to their school....then best believe it is at the "top" of my list. And with each interview I go to i leave open the possiblity that I could like this school more than any one I have seen before.

I'm reserving the declaration of "#1" til after my last interview, or at least til i've been to enough so that i can kind of rank the ones Ive been to.
My top choices are my state (MD) schools because they are cheap. I dont really care if the place is a dump, and neither will my future patients.
 
Dude,

I had to pay $1500 deposit when 2 years ago at LECOM- Erie. You do whatever it takes. If you care about that seat then don't complain and call it a robbery.
of course you pay it. but then you go on to sdn and vent.
PS How do you know I'm a dude
 
That's sounds horrible and greedy. For the acceptance deposit of Touro-NV, it gives back $1900, but keeps the $100 deposit should you decide to go somewhere else. New York should adopt that same method.

I think you're wrong...I think they only give back $1900 if you decide to go to another TOURO campus.
 
I think you're wrong...I think they only give back $1900 if you decide to go to another TOURO campus.

I think you are wrong. I spoke with the admission lady a couple of days ago. She told me that you get $1900 back if you decide not to attend. She never said anything about it having to be another Touro campus. Besides, I remember someone posting that Touro-NV is the only Touro school that does this because its Nevada LAW.
 
i have not read any of the other threads.

PCOM was a few hundred in 2 weeks. and i think 2g in 1-2months.

i think its typical
 
I think you are wrong. I spoke with the admission lady a couple of days ago. She told me that you get $1900 back if you decide not to attend. She never said anything about it having to be another Touro campus. Besides, I remember someone posting that Touro-NV is the only Touro school that does this because its Nevada LAW.

Yeah, this is correct. The only reason Touro-NV has a refundable deposit is because of the Nevada law which states professional schools must refund everything except $100. I believe in previous years they had a full $2000 non-refundable deposit.
 
My top choices are my state (MD) schools because they are cheap. I dont really care if the place is a dump, and neither will my future patients.

i wasn't attacking you, simply stating how i am approaching the app process. Sure my state schools are cheap compared to some but to be honest I wouldnt be surprised at all if I get rejected from every one of them. I'm a CA resident. I'm sure its different if you are from texas or something like that.
 
AZCOM has a $1000 deposit and is credited to your tuition when school starts. Last year, don't know if it's changed, you could charge it to your credit card which I thought was great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep, I gave KCOM about $1000 of nonrefundable deposits before accepting elsewhere. 😡 That was the one thing I didn't appreciate about (most) DO schools. They say it is to lock in a space, but really, the 130 some MD schools don't do that and they don't seem to have a problem with taking only a refundable $100 to hold a spot.
 
....They say it is to lock in a space, but really, the 130 some MD schools don't do that and they don't seem to have a problem with taking only a refundable $100 to hold a spot.

But, in the MD world everyone is required to give up all spots except for the one they have chosen in May. There is no such requirement in the DO world. You could theoretically pile up tons of acceptances and hold the spots forever. Thus, the large deposits.
 
But, in the MD world everyone is required to give up all spots except for the one they have chosen in May. There is no such requirement in the DO world. You could theoretically pile up tons of acceptances and hold the spots forever. Thus, the large deposits.
why dosen't DO adopt the same policy?
 
But, in the MD world everyone is required to give up all spots except for the one they have chosen in May. There is no such requirement in the DO world. You could theoretically pile up tons of acceptances and hold the spots forever. Thus, the large deposits.

really? hmm.. for some reason I remember otherwise from Touro NV.
 
and here i was trippin on the $200 application fee!!!lol. So if I interview by November I have until december to post the $2K deposit or do I have only 2 weeks? I've seen two opposing comment now completely confused! Was thinking about adding Touro-CA but i cant afford two schools like that!!!!
 
and here i was trippin on the $200 application fee!!!lol. So if I interview by November I have until december to post the $2K deposit or do I have only 2 weeks? I've seen two opposing comment now completely confused! Was thinking about adding Touro-CA but i cant afford two schools like that!!!!
As someone who as sent in the 2k deposit to touro-ny, I can confirm that you will have two weeks from acceptance date to get them your money.
 
this is sort of why i have yet to submit their secondary.. b/c if i get accepted i don't want to shell out 2K for a school if i may have other, better options.. like NYCOM 😀
 
this is sort of why i have yet to submit their secondary.. b/c if i get accepted i don't want to shell out 2K for a school if i may have other, better options.. like NYCOM 😀

I should have done the same. My interview at NYCOM is for next month and I was just accepted to Touro-NY.What if I end up liking NYCOM more? I really don't have 2 grand to lose. I have to make a tough choice.
 
I should have done the same. My interview at NYCOM is for next month and I was just accepted to Touro-NY.What if I end up liking NYCOM more? I really don't have 2 grand to lose. I have to make a tough choice.
when is your NYCOM interview? You can ask Touro for an extension with the payment.. i've seen that done where they give you an extra week to get your money together...
 
when is your NYCOM interview? You can ask Touro for an extension with the payment.. i've seen that done where they give you an extra week to get your money together...

Interview is on the 19th of Nov. Wonder if maybe I can move it up.
 
Not all schools take part in this unfair practice. I think the deposit is a couple hundred at UMDNJ if I remember.

This $1000-2000 policy at a lot of schools forces you to structure your interviews close together which is not always up to you. What if you're accepted to Touro-NY in September, but your first choice is PCOM or UMDNJ, and you have yet to hear from them and times up for giving your deposit to Touro in October. Here you are WAY EARLY in the application cycle, a poor undergrad student waiting to be a poor med student being asked to perhaps throw away $2k.

If schools really were interested in more than squeezing students to choose their school or making money, they could make the deposits due at some time in February or March at latest. At least by this time students would have heard from most of their schools and could make a decision based on more than how much money they stand losing in deposits or if they could another deposit at all.
 
As someone who as sent in the 2k deposit to touro-ny, I can confirm that you will have two weeks from acceptance date to get them your money.

I was thinking about this the other day, and I was wondering why Touro-NY doesn't adhere to the whole "you have until Dec 15th" to submit a deposit. Because right now, it isn't necessarily my top choice, but I haven't heard back from my top choice, so if I did happen to get in to Touro and then later another school (a lot of "ifs" yeah I know) I would have to eat the $2,000. That blows. I've already spent $3,000 this cycle on apps/travel/etc, I don't want to lose $2,000!

Gah, what a nightmare. I'm not even complete at some other schools yet, how the hec am I supposed to know where I might get an interview/acceptance? I just feel so bad at this point because of how much money my parents have spent for me to get in. Like, really guilty.

All premature, yes, but I was thinking about this and it was bothering me, sigh.
 
Then apply for touro nevada (you get the 2k back if you withdraw) instead. touro nyc is very expensive to live near. Also trust yourself. You got accepted to one school, surely you will accepted else where. Unless you are a very uncompetitive applicant, I wouldn't worry so much and go with what you think is right.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Then apply for touro nevada (you get the 2k back if you withdraw) instead. touro nyc is very expensive to live near. Also trust yourself. You got accepted to one school, surely you will accepted else where. Unless you are a very uncompetitive applicant, I wouldn't worry so much and go with what you think is right.

I probably didn't make myself clear; I have zero acceptances but am hoping for some this year, with Touro-NY not being my top choice. I'm an east coast girl, I cannot imagine moving out to NV or CA or anywhere west of the Mississippi River.

I just wish the interview season wasn't so drawn out. Wouldn't it suck to plunk down the $2,000 in Dec, get an interview at my #1 in Jan, get accepted there in Feb, and there goes the 2 grand woosh out the window.

Of course, if things go like they did last year for me, come May I will be sitting on a bunch of waitlists and will still be out thousands of dollars for simply applying. Go figure. 🙄
 
Then apply for touro nevada (you get the 2k back if you withdraw) instead. touro nyc is very expensive to live near. Also trust yourself. You got accepted to one school, surely you will accepted else where. Unless you are a very uncompetitive applicant, I wouldn't worry so much and go with what you think is right.

Just a small clarification, Touro NV refunds $1,900, not the full $2,000.
 
What's the point then? Why wouldn't they just make it a $100 non-refundable deposit instead?

They can't do that or else other people won't apply to TOURO Cali and NYC. Most people do NOT know that they get a refund in Nevada because of state law until they get to the interview phase. By then they've already applied to the ones in Cali and NYC. 😎