Hilarious CRNA story from last night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I am enjoying an ice cold beer, savoring an amazing night in NYC, thinking about my future fellowship in Boston, and getting ready to see a band at the Bowery Ballroom downtown (The 1975 btw, who are F-NG AWESOME) my ear catches some conversation from the people next to me. They just met, and the girl introduced themselves to the guy as an "anesthesiologist," after which the guy asks "wow, so you're a doctor?" to which the response is "Yeah, its kinda fun not going to lie" or something like that.

I think woah, cool, fellow anesthesia peeps at a rock show in the Lower East Side? Man I love my field. Start talking to the group and turns out that our anesthesiologist is a first year SNA student. WHAAAAT.

As a resident, I have never had problems with CRNAs, and maybe lying about your job at the bar is something people do, sure. But the ease of which this person convinced a stranger of who they were, and what they did, and the lack of awareness of members of the general public of who exactly puts them to sleep was kind of eye opening. I doubt this conversation would be very different from one preoperatively with a member of the perioperative team. Either way, I didnt harp on the facts or say "Oh I thought you were a doctor?" or make any awkward conversation. That would be ungentlemanly and I think this person sort of knew that they had just barked at the wrong tree, so to speak.

Anyway, show was solid. Band killed it. I thought I'd share this. Stuff like this makes me believe that some of the more militant and sinister attitudes are more silently pervasive than we think and we don't get a real look at it because when we are identified as "physicians" these attitudes dont get spoken. But being a silent observer sure has its benefits.
Cheers to all, see you at the ASA

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, you'll be dealing with this bullsh_t and much worse your entire career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't control other people's insecurities. Don't worry about it. You did the right thing by not calling her out on it, regardless of how satisfying it may have been :)

and the lack of awareness of members of the general public of who exactly puts them to sleep was kind of eye opening.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people in this country are so disassociated with their care (how many times have you had someone who didn't know what medications they were taking every day?) that they don't give two sh*ts who puts them to sleep, or what kind of training that person has.

Where I work, techs make $25/hr including benefits with no need to attend college. Pretty sweet gig for a sharp kid out of high school who wants to save some bucks and survey the landscape.

Guy I went to med school with used to sit in starbucks all day with the brightest colored shirt on, a pile of step 1 review books and an old ben casey style doctor bag with a litman master cardio hanging out of it. He would take his own pulse with a stopwatch and randomly ask any female within 10 feet of him if he could listen to their heart sounds while holding an ECG review book. The truly sad part was seeing him with a different girl on his arm all the time, as for me I prefer the company of my pride and dignity to some dimwit who would fall for that kind of lame pickup.

Moral of the story.. having the personality of a vinegary feminine hygiene product transcends all racial, gender, professional and class lines. Some people are just going to need a punch to the face every now and then to remind them of their place in the world.

PS. bright shirt guy was denied a visa to do residency in the USA. Broke my heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Tell him to practice a rectal on himself in public next time. Pulse taking is child play. Man up and go for the (brown) gold.

Guy I went to med school with used to sit in starbucks all day with the brightest colored shirt on, a pile of step 1 review books and an old ben casey style doctor bag with a litman master cardio hanging out of it. He would take his own pulse with a stopwatch and randomly ask any female within 10 feet of him if he could listen to their heart sounds while holding an ECG review book. The truly sad part was seeing him with a different girl on his arm all the time, as for me I prefer the company of my pride and dignity to some dimwit who would fall for that kind of lame pickup.

Moral of the story.. having the personality of a vinegary feminine hygiene product transcends all racial, gender, professional and class lines. Some people are just going to need a punch to the face every now and then to remind them of their place in the world.

PS. bright shirt guy was denied a visa to do residency in the USA. Broke my heart.

Actually thats pretty ingenious... lol

To solicitors trying to get me to buy stuff, I'm a garbage man.

To hot women (when I was single), I owned my own garbage company (what's wrong with that picture?)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are an anesthesiologist or resident or whatever. Be proud of it. Say it proud when someone asks what you do.

Having said that, I usually say I work for the US postal service. Can't be bothered to deal with anesthesia questions when I'm out.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife hates the idea of our dinner being interrupted at a restaurant in the event some guy has an arrest while eating a steak or something so she always says, remember, when were at a restaurant your a carpenter, not a doctor. If they yell out is anyone a doctor, the answer is no, you build cedar furniture.

My wife hates the idea of our dinner being interrupted at a restaurant in the event some guy has an arrest while eating a steak or something so she always says, remember, when were at a restaurant your a carpenter, not a doctor. If they yell out is anyone a doctor, the answer is no, you build cedar furniture.
Yeah just let that fat bastard die, why offer an intervention that might save his life.:rolleyes:
The EMS crew will get there eventually and revive his brain damaged corpse while your wife flags down the waitress for another Cabernet.
WTF?

Yeah just let that fat bastard die, why offer an intervention that might save his life.:rolleyes:
The EMS crew will get there eventually and revive his brain damaged corpse while your wife flags down the waitress for another Cabernet.
WTF?
There was an emt in the news lately that was off duty in a restaurant when that happened and the chick let a lady die in the other room while she was eating

She sounds like a real winner.

She sounds like a real winner.
She is greatest mother and wife alive. Doesn't bother me at all. Being married to a resident has jaded her. Nothing but work, never appreciated, **** on by the hospital and administrators, hundreds of thousands in loans and Obama trying to cut the pay to nothing while raising the taxes, all to take care of unregistered immigrants(were from upstate ny) who abuse the welfare system and are bankrupting the state.

Anyway it was a joke, I would obviously intervene and she would help, she's a former nurse. I assumed that was obvious. Was just making a point on how our careers consume our lives and it would be nice to be able to be "off duty" sometimes

This quote is so full of win that I'm actually tempted to make it my 'signature' around here.

WTF?

If some guy arrests out in the middle of a restaurant or on a plane, the odds of you accomplishing anything other than making yourself feel better are slim to none. Do us all a favor and lay off the guilt tripping.

You're right, go back to the wine menu.
If you don't even try, you're a disgrace.
If you're already drunk, that changes things a bit, but CPR and CBA are not exactly taxing, so you'd have to be blind drunk. Don't forget there may be an automated defibrillator nearby as well. That will shift the odds in the patient's favor.
And I'm not sure the statistics that you are not really quoting include many witnessed arrests with an immediate intervention by a trained medical professional. They're community statistics, with armatures providing ineffective CPR while waiting 10 min or more for an ambulance to arrive.

CPR instructor told us that they changed the BCLS recommendations to chest compressions alone because they found that mouth-to-mouth was deterring a lot of people from stepping in. Hopping on top of someone right after they arrest and pounding on the chest right away until a defib gets found greatly improves chances. If there is no defib for half an hour then yea, probably not going to do anything, but standing around for 3-5 minutes instead of doing chest compressions is a great way to pass on a 6 figure ICU bill to someone/the system when it could be a lot less.

CPR instructor told us that they changed the BCLS recommendations to chest compressions alone because they found that mouth-to-mouth was deterring a lot of people from stepping in. Hopping on top of someone right after they arrest and pounding on the chest right away until a defib gets found greatly improves chances. If there is no defib for half an hour then yea, probably not going to do anything, but standing around for 3-5 minutes instead of doing chest compressions is a great way to pass on a 6 figure ICU bill to someone/the system when it could be a lot less.

The flip side is that you could be taking a $0 bill (what would have been a clean kill) and turning it into a 6-figure ICU bill as the patient survives but with an anoxic brain injury and ARDS.

Not advocating for not doing anything, just pointing out that using an economic argument may not be the best defense.

So as I am enjoying an ice cold beer, savoring an amazing night in NYC, thinking about my future fellowship in Boston, and getting ready to see a band at the Bowery Ballroom downtown (The 1975 btw, who are F-NG AWESOME) my ear catches some conversation from the people next to me. They just met, and the girl introduced themselves to the guy as an "anesthesiologist," after which the guy asks "wow, so you're a doctor?" to which the response is "Yeah, its kinda fun not going to lie" or something like that.

I think woah, cool, fellow anesthesia peeps at a rock show in the Lower East Side? Man I love my field. Start talking to the group and turns out that our anesthesiologist is a first year SNA student. WHAAAAT.

As a resident, I have never had problems with CRNAs, and maybe lying about your job at the bar is something people do, sure. But the ease of which this person convinced a stranger of who they were, and what they did, and the lack of awareness of members of the general public of who exactly puts them to sleep was kind of eye opening. I doubt this conversation would be very different from one preoperatively with a member of the perioperative team. Either way, I didnt harp on the facts or say "Oh I thought you were a doctor?" or make any awkward conversation. That would be ungentlemanly and I think this person sort of knew that they had just barked at the wrong tree, so to speak.

Anyway, show was solid. Band killed it. I thought I'd share this. Stuff like this makes me believe that some of the more militant and sinister attitudes are more silently pervasive than we think and we don't get a real look at it because when we are identified as "physicians" these attitudes dont get spoken. But being a silent observer sure has its benefits.
Cheers to all, see you at the ASA

You're intolerably full of yourself.

You're intolerably full of yourself.

Eh, I don't know if I would go that far. It's hard to understand unless you have been in a similar position. Unfortunately, the SRNA programs seem to indoctrinate militancy in their programs. Most new CRNA grads are pretty easy to get along with but there are always a few that drink the proverbial koolaid a little too much.

Any militant vibe in the interview = poor fit = no job offer.
We have way more applicants than openings, and those are few and far between.
You're either fully on board with the team model or you can go work somewhere else and be their headache.

I will immediately correct the term "MDA" when spoken by a CRNA. I may call them "mid-level providers" for the rest of the week.

Eh, I don't know if I would go that far. It's hard to understand unless you have been in a similar position. Unfortunately, the SRNA programs seem to indoctrinate militancy in their programs. Most new CRNA grads are pretty easy to get along with but there are always a few that drink the proverbial koolaid a little too much.
Just wait till the DNAP really kicks in - no more clinical training whatsoever, but lots of politics, statistics, and the ever-popular "nursing theory", along with "How to Kiss the A** of Your Favorite Democratic Politician".

For all the militancy in training, you would think they wouldn't come near an ACT practice - yet I have a stack of their resumes begging for a job.