hill method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted earlier about some angle ranking questions. I was just curious about "Hill method". Crack Dat pat tilts their angles so sometimes your visualized "ground" could be a diagonal. I have tried tilting my head, but is there a sure way you can improve the hill method in such a way when angles are completely upside down or tilted.

some poster named orlo created the method and did well on the PAT, but I swear CDP is hard to do hill method bc they tilt those angles where you are looking at them upside down or its hard to visualize how they are rotated.

any help?

I have mostly given up on angle ranking bc i dont see any good rules of thumb that ALWAYS work. A wake up was that I was spending too much time on angle ranking was when I scored a 17 on the first Crack DAT Math. I have taken a year of Calculus, so that was a bit of a punch in the gut. After four days of testing, I've upped that score to a 25......

moral of the story, I am realizing that I should just focus time elsewhere and improve that, and get what I can in angles, but is there any advise out there for how to apply Hill method when you are looking at a tilted angle or upside down angle. I know someone said to ride the bike upside, but I swear there is an illusion, bc CDP answers always give me a different answer then what the Hill method should give for angle order. ORLO are you there??

Members don't see this ad.

I think I've tried every method for angle ranking. The Hill method will take too much time and the results are still 50/50. The best technique is honestly Ross' rapid eye glance. You just move you're eye really quick back in forth b/w the angles. First, I would do all the angles quickly to find the biggest and smallest and then after, do it again to find the middle angles. Just practice it. I was spending way too much time on angles and so I figured out another really good strategy, skip angles for last! You waste maybe like 10 seconds clicking the button to get to hole punching but you're able to spend more time on things that are actually possible like hole punching, cube counting, and pattern folding. On the real DAT, after I came back and finished angle ranking, I had 5 minutes leftover to review my answers (and I'm usually always pressing for time). The DAT is all about time management!

Obtuse angles - I usually try to find the obvious largest, and smallest, which isn't too terribly hard. Then on the ones in question, I give a head tilt and put a little imaginary circle around the vertex. Idk if it would work for other people, but It works for me. Granted I haven't done a whole lot of pat practice since I'm still about 9 months from D-day.

Acute angles - Find the obvious largest and smallest. Then I do some head tilts to establish a ground, sometimes the rapid eye method, and sometimes I'll intentionally blur my vision and focus on the angles in question and give the head tilt (its not always bullet proof, but it works for me). I just do whatever I can to pick the best answer possible.

Also, I've noticed sometimes Ill think the order is 4,2,1,3 (4 being smallest, and 3 being clearly the biggest) and 2 and 1 I'm not entirely sure on. When I go to pick an answer and it's not there, it must be 4,1,2,3. Not all questions play out like that, but it occasionally you'll find the answers given helpful. I try not to look at the answer options until I have a clear order of what I think the order is. Because Ive noticed when I look at the choices first, my answer becomes influenced by the options. Hope this helps!