Hilo Pharmacy-Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klampster23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what's the deal with the new pharmacy school in hawaii? Apparently they don't have an application deadline. I've been hearing stories that there's major problems with this school....something about not going to be accredited with candiadte status and so students are only getting back 23% of their tuition?

Is there any sort of truth to this? I need to know so I know whether I should even apply.

Members don't see this ad.

After graduating from CSU, I moved back to hawaii to take a few prereqs. One of my profs was trying to persuade me to apply to the school because of all the effort that UH has put into it. So far, the accreditation process seems to be going well. They're not like the pharmacy school that got shut down a while back. I personally didn't consider it at all but after having practically no luck getting interviews, I'm starting to think about it. You can call (808) 443-5900 to ask them questions.

ah..sorry for the misleading info!! I'll be more careful about what I post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you search in google and type in hawaiian pharmacy school, there'll be newspaper articles about the school being shut down by the state judge back in 2005 or something because they failed to disclose honest information about their accreditation progress or met acpe standards. The school also started accepting students before they received pre-candidate, which is not allowed by acpe. I thought the school's already closed down?? so no one should apply there anywayz. The school was ordered to pay back the students but from wut i remember only 1.5 million? could be recovered from the school, so the students could only be paid back about 25% of the tuition money they had paid while they have to pay the rest back themselves.

I believe you are getting confused with another "pharmacy school" scandal that was on the Island of Oahu that took place in 2005. For the 2007 school year University of Hawaii at Hilo (which is PART of the U of Hawaii school system) has been approved for pre-accredition status much like Touro and Loma Linda. In addition, the former dean of Purdue School of Pharmacy has been hired to be the dean at UH Hilo for this upcoming year. Try not to get mislead by the articles you have read from previous years. We are dealing with an entire new school and curriculum. :)

I think if you search in google and type in hawaiian pharmacy school, there'll be newspaper articles about the school being shut down by the state judge back in 2005 or something because they failed to disclose honest information about their accreditation progress or met acpe standards. The school also started accepting students before they received pre-candidate, which is not allowed by acpe. I thought the school's already closed down?? so no one should apply there anywayz. The school was ordered to pay back the students but from wut i remember only 1.5 million? could be recovered from the school, so the students could only be paid back about 25% of the tuition money they had paid while they have to pay the rest back themselves.

Please - do research before you post on up on SDN - On some forums, its ok to just throw out random thoughts, and wrap them up as fact. On SDN though, people are really here for help and answers. You owe it to the others using this board to only post facts. If your unsure, feel free to post - but definitely point out that your post was not based on fact...

The pharmacy program getting started up now in Hawaii is not the same that closed in 2005. This program has indeed been in touch with the ACPE, and is going through the legwork to receive precanidate status - but they are NOT accredited in any way yet.

You can find a comprehensive list here:
http://www.acpe-accredit.org/students/programs.asp

- even schools with only precandidate status are listed there.

I would email ACPE to find out where the school is in the process - then give them a call as well. Sometimes, if you are having trouble getting into already accredited schools - a new school on the way up may be just the right thing.

~above~

I noticed UH Hilo has changed their pre-req requirements slightly from a few months back. They're supposed to have their first class this Fall 2007, but has anyone even applied?

I applied in November and received an interview request in January. They had 3 options for interviews: San Francisco, Honolulu, and Hilo. I'll be going to check out the campus next week during my interview.

My physiology professor did graduate work at UH Hilo, so it is a legit school affiliated with the other UH campuses.

I applied in November and received an interview request in January. They had 3 options for interviews: San Francisco, Honolulu, and Hilo. I'll be going to check out the campus next week during my interview.

My physiology professor did graduate work at UH Hilo, so it is a legit school affiliated with the other UH campuses.

Please let us know how it goes! :)

The UH system is a long-standing system that has several universities and many community colleges. It is indeed more dependable than some school that sprouted out of nowhere without any support (but from some fraud investors/owners or whatever they were). It is a good idea to ask them about their accreditation status, but I doubt they will have any problems except for getting enough staff because Hilo is not entirely large. Like other said, the dean is formerly from Purdue and I'm sure he wouldn't leave if there wasn't something promising about this. Yes it is the first year but I'm sure after the tweaks that usual schools go through, it will be a fine place to go to.

I was wondering what is the minimum PCAT too!

Last edited:
I was wondering what is the minimum PCAT too!

Average PCAT score for the entering class was about 65 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm still deciding whether I want to reapply to Hilo this year--considering they misspelled my name on my rejection letter, and sent it in a month after classes started, it's left a very bad impression on me. :mad:

I'm still deciding whether I want to reapply to Hilo this year--considering they misspelled my name on my rejection letter, and sent it in a month after classes started, it's left a very bad impression on me. :mad:

Lol, that's messed up.

Average PCAT score for the entering class was about 65 if I'm not mistaken.

Well they accepted one student during the first week of classes...it's not exactly like you strung you out seeing as they were accepting people very late in the summer.

Also I'm not sure were you obtained that average PCAT score from seeing as it was never posted on their website or Pharmcas.

wow, that's horrible to be declined a month after class started... almost funny. I mean wouldn't you know at that point that you were denied admission? haha.

Yeah, if you check the stats for schools and the scores of accepted students, I definitely was not able to find that "65 score". I just called and spoke with someone and he said that they are still reviewing for the december interview invites. He said mine was still in the pile, so at least i know i haven't been denied! :laugh:

Well they accepted one student during the first week of classes...it's not exactly like you strung you out seeing as they were accepting people very late in the summer.

Also I'm not sure were you obtained that average PCAT score from seeing as it was never posted on their website or Pharmcas.

Well, they posted the average PCAT score in the rejection letter, so that's where I got it from. Average PCAT was 65, average sGPA was 3.0 and average cumulative was about 3.1.

It's usually standard to mail out rejection letters as soon as they've accepted all their students (at least that's how it was when I got my rejection letter from UCSF), and the fact that it was postmarked in mid-September was really bad. I can understand if it got lost in the mail, but it wasn't.

One thing that is really frustrating, i havent had to deal with it yet, is waiting up until the day classes start to realize you may not have been accepted. I think if schools had a requirement of getting people to accept their invitations earlier, it may not be as big an issue. As it is, i remember hearing of many people getting accepted the 2-3 weeks before classes start(Hilo), among many other schools. I can only imagine how that would really wear on someones soul waiting til the last minute!:eek: